OSMO VIDEO COMPRESSION PROBLEMS ON YOUTUBE (AND IN GENERAL)
4665 6 2016-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JD约翰先生
lvl.2

United States

Hi guys,

I'm now on my 2nd proper video with the Osmo (i've been playing with it for a few months), and i'm having very disturbing compression problems when I export the video from Adobe Premiere Pro CC.

Let me start by saying that I filmed this video (or collection of videos that I edited into one) with both the Osmo and my Sony Rx100m3. The Osmo at 1080p 60fps (D-Log), while the Rx100m3 at 1080p 50fps. I'm super new to Adobe Premiere Pro (and editing in general), yet I followed basic instructions and exported the final video as a H.264 file at 60fps, keeping most values at max (maximum render quality etc etc). The result is decent apart from maybe one or two Osmo sections of the video (while the Sony Rx100m3 sections are all crisp and clear).

The real DAMAGE, however, comes when I upload the file to both Youtube and Youku (Chinese Youtube). The file gets compressed so much that the result is terrible - the weird thing is that the Sony Rx parts are great, yet some (or most) of the Osmo parts are absolutely terrible and ruin the whole video experience.

Any advice on adjustments I should make to the settings when I film? Or to the export settings? Sequence settings on Adobe Premier Pro?

Let me know, any help is welcome. As I mentioned, i'm a noob at editing so I may be making some amateur mistakes. However, I find it weird that all my Sony Rx footage (which is absolutely NOT a professional videocamera) looks great in pretty much whatever format I export it in, while the Osmo footage gets ruined easily (even though when it comes out of the camera it's actually great....).

Cheers,

John
2016-4-21
Use props
rpknowles
lvl.2
Flight distance : 736033 ft
United States

I don't know the exact settings you should use, but I can tell you that there are plenty of help on YouTube and elsewhere for the best export settings for YouTube when using Adobe Premiere.
2016-4-21
Use props
stuartdye_photo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi JD, i too have found the files out of the DJi Osmo are heavy in compression, i noticed this more when i recently went for a bicycle ride with my Osmo in a park with lots of trees and grass = Lots of detail for the codec to throw data at = compression artifacts. I only noticed this in 2.7k and i haven't  pushed the HD and 4k bit rates yet (Soon) .  And as for adobe premiere i always export a MASTER EDITED video as a H264.MOV with a target bit rate of 40-50 Mega Bits per sec and a peak bit rate of 50-60 mega bits PS. i do this with footage from my old Panasonic GH4 and current Sony fs700r. I always shoot at 24p or 25p and only shoot 50p/60p if i intend to slow-down footage in the computer.
2016-4-21
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.2

United States

stuartdye_photo Posted at 2016-4-21 14:34
Hi JD, i too have found the files out of the DJi Osmo are heavy in compression, i noticed this more  ...

Cheers!

A colleague of mine showed me one thing I was doing wrong. When opening Adobe Premier Pro CC and starting a new project, the "new project" window has DV and HDV options for video capture. I used to leave it untouched at DV (i simply didn't even notice it), but he told me to use HDV instead (does this make a difference?).

Furthermore, as much as I was trying to decrease the video bitrate in order to accommodate Youtube and Youku's compression preferences, I absolutely agree that your 50-60 mbit values will always present the best results. That's what I did, and the final video export is good. However, posting it online still made me lose a ton of detail (not as much as I did previously) in some sections of it (only the Osmo parts).

Here's the link -

Watch it in 1080p, and you will still notice quality issues in some parts. Let me know your thoughts, and if you have further advice on whether I should be shooting with different settings in the future. I prefer 60fps because I sometimes have fast action/movement and I want it to be smooth (plus, I may occasionally slow it down too).

Cheers,

JD
2016-4-24
Use props
stuartdye_photo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2016-4-26
Use props
Stabilized Pict
lvl.3
Flight distance : 118806 ft
  • >>>
France

Hi, I have the same problem, and some friends, pros with post prod, have told me problem comes mostly from youtube: the dynamic range of premiere pro (or final cut, or avid etc...) is wider than what youtube can show, therefor you lose a bit of the light and color range.
Though of course, on a Dji Osmo X3, it's hard to ask for a professional render... so you get a double problem: first the size of the x3 sensor, then the limitation of the youtube dynamic range.
It takes a lot of post prod to correctly enlarge the dynamic range.
2016-4-27
Use props
方先生
New

Australia

—How to Fast transfer file?

Select the picture you want to compress.

Click the Picture Tools Format tab, and then click Compress Pictures.

Do one of the following:

To compress your pictures for insertion into a document, under Resolution, click Print.

To compress your pictures for publication on a Web page, under Resolution, click Web.

To compress your pictures for sending in an e-mail message, under Resolution, click E-mail.

Some pictures will only allow one or two of these options.

Click OK, and name and save the compressed picture somewhere you can find it.

Forcom more information, please click
2018-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules