Drone dance and holding RC
1217 12 2016-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
remaxmanII
lvl.1
Flight distance : 722 ft
United States

Can I do the compass calibrartion while holding onto the RC with the other hand? I have a neck strap connected to the RC. Hate putting it down if there is any kind of interference.
2016-4-21
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No ... it's not a good idea to have the controller in one hand while calibrating the comnpass.
The good news is that you don't need to recalibrate every flight and you can safely fly for months with a good calibration so it's not something to have to do very often.
2016-4-21
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

It would be better to put away your RC when you calibrate the compass.
2016-4-22
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Best to leave the RC a few feet away when doing the compass calibration.. You can tel its done just by looking at the status lights on the P4. Remember, many ipads and other tablets have magnets in the frame for smart covers.. That's might skew the readings it gets just a little.. Unlikely to have a big impact though..
2016-4-22
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

Croatia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-22 06:02
No ... it's not a good idea to have the controller in one hand while calibrating the comnpass.
The g ...

That's only true if you fly in pretty much the same location.  If you travel you'll be dancing all the time
2016-4-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

As the others have said, you do not want any metal near you that can affect the compass.
Also remember to have nothing metal in your pockets like cell phone & keys.
2016-4-22
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

phantom-four.co Posted at 2016-4-22 23:39
That's only true if you fly in pretty much the same location.  If you travel you'll be dancing all ...

Actually, it's not just for flying in the same location, I've been flying +/- 500 km from home, hundreds of flights and haven't calibrated for over 6 months.
And it's not like I'm the only one doing that.
2016-4-22
Use props
walter.de.rooij
lvl.2
Croatia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-22 22:54
Actually, it's not just for flying in the same location, I've been flying +/- 500 km from home, hun ...

Glad to hear it works flawlessly for you. It's not worth the risk for me. Doesn't take much effort so I'll do it. Better safe than sorry.
2016-4-23
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

walter.de.rooij Posted at 2016-4-23 21:48
Glad to hear it works flawlessly for you. It's not worth the risk for me. Doesn't take much effort  ...

"Better safe than sorry."
That's what the people  that don't understand what calibration does and when it's required say.
And they are the people that are most likely to give themselves a bad compass calibration - because they use it as a superstitious ritual.
If you don't understand what you are doing or why, you aren't safe at all.
2016-4-23
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

As the other folks have mentioned remove anything metal away at least 3 feet. The compass is very sensitive. I went nuts with mine one day and all the problem was the nails in the deck that I had it sitting on.
2016-4-23
Use props
glewis45
lvl.2

United States

Here's the DJI tutorial that recommends when, and how to calibrate the Phantom 4.

2016-4-23
Use props
Alan Guan
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-23
Use props
walter.de.rooij
lvl.2
Croatia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-23 15:32
"Better safe than sorry."
That's what the people  that don't understand what calibration does and  ...
Thanks. Have a great day.
2016-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules