Phantom 4 Obstacle Sensors not working - settings wrong?
9034 11 2016-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trevorpdx
New

I am very new with this, but I had a Phantom 3 Standard and never had troubles controlling / landing it. Perhaps this was not a good idea to test this, and it may be my fault, but upon coming in for a landing on one of my first sessions with the Phantom 4, it wound up coming close to a tree, and I figured it would avoid it or simply stop. It did neither of these things. Is there a setting I'm missing..? It seems like it should do this by default, and again it may be my fault for not testing it in a safer environment. The tree wasn't huge, probably about 20 ft tall, but the aircraft went right into it and crashed onto the ground, motors still going. Is it possible the sensors are defective? I haven't taken it back out to test it in a safer environment, such as a wall that I can stand right next to, etc. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if there's a chance the sensors are defective, because I as in shock when it hit the tree and struggled to the ground. Any input is much appreciated.
2016-4-22
Use props
treeboyy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 604747 ft
United States

If you enter the DJI GO app and select the General settings menu (top right) then select the Visual Navigation Settings (second one down between the quad and remote icons) and make sure the Turn on Forward Obstacle Sensing System is switched on.
2016-4-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Were you flying in Sport Mode at the time?
2016-4-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry about your crash.
There is an ON/OFF setting in the app. Also, if you got close to the tree and did not see the obstacle distance meter (red, yellow, green bars top of screen) then you had obstacle avoidance turned off.
And what mode were you in. Have you read the manual, the obstacle avoidance has limitations stated in the manual.
2016-4-22
Use props
trevorpdx
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-23 11:48
Sorry about your crash.
There is an ON/OFF setting in the app. Also, if you got close to the tree an ...

Thanks for the quick replies. So, my fault, it looks like it was in sport mode. I didn't intentionally put it there, that's just how the controller was set when I started it up, but I should have noticed that.

So, I am now having yet another fun issue - I landed it just fine several times, but probably like the fourth or so landing, on a driveway near a garden (flat area, not hilly), it tipped over when it landed, but the propellers would NOT stop spinning! With both controls down, it kept running, spun into the garden and blasted away at the dirt. I tried holding both control sticks down, hitting the RTH button, but it took a solid 30-45 seconds (which seemed like an eternity) to stop.

Do other people have issues with it toppling over after landing..? It even does it when I use the RTH function, which I thought was strange, which was part of the reason I decided to land it myself and bring it down a little softer.

I think it's odd since I never had an issue with a 3 Standard; landing it was typically fine, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Any input / feedback would be very helpful, and thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help / advice!
2016-4-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

trevorpdx Posted at 2016-4-24 01:16
Thanks for the quick replies. So, my fault, it looks like it was in sport mode. I didn't intention ...

Glad to find out that it was in Sport mode and not an issue. Make sure before take-off that everything is positioned correctly and all your settings in the app are set to your flying ability and flying area.
It should not tip over on flat ground unless it's windy.
And the CSC procedure will immediately kill the motors (it's in the manual)
And you should not be hitting the RTH button once the aircraft has already touched down.
Can you please post a video clip of a landing and I would like to see what causes it to tip over.
Also, anytime you tip over and have a prop strike, you should change those two props that hit the ground. There is a possibility of internal damage even if you do not see any cracks or nicks. It's better to change two props at $6.00 then risking your $1,400 investment.Also, Sport mode is such a huge flight charastic difference from P-GPS mode I'm surprised you didn't notice the difference.
2016-4-23
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

Croatia

Similar thing happened to me ones (atti, not S. No crash) and freaked me out. Have been using a pre-flight checklist ever since.
2016-4-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

trevorpdx Posted at 2016-4-24 03:16
Thanks for the quick replies. So, my fault, it looks like it was in sport mode. I didn't intention ...

When you land the aircraft, keep the laft stick fully down and hold it there until the motors stop, and you should not have any problem with tipping over. If you just land it and leave the motors running, then there is an increased chance of it tipping over. Also, do not land and then take off straight away without stopping the motors.
2016-4-23
Use props
Y2K Katongole
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15469 ft
  • >>>
Uganda

Hey my friends Am katongole Yahaya,From Uganda Africa....Am a pilot as well as a technician in Drones mostly DJI...
2019-6-27
Use props
Y2K Katongole
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15469 ft
  • >>>
Uganda

Phantom 4 pro Sensors not working

Yesterday i replaced my p4 sensors after being blind in DJI ASSISTANT APP(Calibration) but after the replacement sensors are nolonger functioning though they are in Normal state and they Calibrate correctly...The drone doesn't detect any obstacle at all..... no warning no errors.

Please help
2019-6-27
Use props
djiuser_Y4mMUZBep79J
New

Brazil

Y2K Katongole Posted at 2019-6-27 15:11
Phantom 4 pro Sensors not working

Yesterday i replaced my p4 sensors after being blind in DJI ASSISTANT APP(Calibration) but after the replacement sensors are nolonger functioning though they are in Normal state and they Calibrate correctly...The drone doesn't detect any obstacle at all..... no warning no errors.

Have a Phantom 4 Standard!
It also does not detect obstacles even with the App options activated. The object distance graph does not appear.
2022-5-10
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Were you flying in Sport Mode at the time?
2022-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules