Vineyard Video
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Don Loftus
lvl.3

United States

I have seen a lot of very nice video's on this forum and I figure I should give it a try.  Here is a 4 min video of my UPick vineyard just north of Gainesville, FL.  I use my Phantom 3P to take a series of stills and do a pan of the vineyard to keep track of the weed situation, it really helps to see everything in one big photo.  I also like to just fly around the vineyard and property for fun (it's great living out in the country, I can fly when ever the weather cooperates and no problem with the neighbors).  In this video I decided to mix still shots and video in a more entertaining way and I hope it works.  I'm not real crazy about the music, but it was the best copy-write free music I had with a light hearted feel to it, reflecting spring time.  These vines are muscadine grapes, grown specifically in the southeast United States.  You can find out more about my vineyard at:  http://www.loftusfamilyfarm.com
I edited this with Final Cut Pro 7 and it took so long.  It amazes me how quickly I can forget how to use a program when I don't use it often.  Most of the time I use iMovie simply becasue it is quick and easy.  I have about 5 or 6 hours into editing this 4 minute video and I could still tweek it a bit here and there.   Hope you enjoy it.

2016-4-22
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Cool video,   nice editing.   id ditch the keeping track of weed by drone.   faa in with their brilliant ideas consider that turning your hobby into a commercial flight,    just saying.  its really stupid in every way but way law is written, its a no no.   lol
2016-4-22
Use props
leorvasquez
lvl.2
United States

I seriously doubt the FAA is coming after this guy. Great video by the way. :-)
2016-4-22
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

leorvasquez Posted at 2016-4-23 02:19
I seriously doubt the FAA is coming after this guy. Great video by the way. :-)

yeah,   they have more important things to do like making laws that make sense,  i just just throwing the bs out there.   it is a cool video.   i gotta show my wife in the morning when she gets up.   
2016-4-22
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Good video. And the background music fits the video very well.
2016-4-23
Use props
Don Loftus
lvl.3

United States

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-23 02:07
Cool video,   nice editing.   id ditch the keeping track of weed by drone.   faa in with their brill ...

Quickpoint, I understand what you are saying, but I agree with the others that the FAA is not worried about me.  My video's are for information purposes and I don't make money from doing it and I'm not a commercial photographer/videographer that makes a living doing this.  

But you are right about the FAA not being the one who should be involved with this commercial vs hobby thing.  If I'm staying below 400 feet I'm not really in FAA airspace and they should not have anything to say about what I'm doing.  Any activity below 400 ft falls into the jurisdiction of law enforcement.

The weed control and tracking thing is an agricultural function and that's OK even by FAA standards.  Quads are showing up more and more on farms as a very useful tool.  DJI even offers the Phantom with an infrared camera which will show at a glance the health of your crops, or help with rescue/recovery work. Really cool stuff!

2016-4-23
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

Don Loftus Posted at 2016-4-23 08:40
Quickpoint, I understand what you are saying, but I agree with the others that the FAA is not worri ...

"... If I'm staying below 400 feet I'm not really in FAA airspace and they should not have anything to say about what I'm doing.  Any activity below 400 ft falls into the jurisdiction of law enforcement..."

Great vid, very enjoyable.

btw:  FAA's jurisdiction of all airspace begins at the ground's surface [on upward], not at 400 ft, even in "uncontrolled" airspace (that airspace over which ATC has no control authority).  But no, the FAA is not looking for you nor are they after you as you video-record your estate (and look for weeds) for personal purposes only ;) .

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_ ... %20Chapter%2014.pdf

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/ ... System_Overview.pdf
2016-4-23
Use props
igot2n0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

Are those Muscadine grapes?
2016-4-23
Use props
Don Loftus
lvl.3

United States

igot2n0 Posted at 2016-4-23 16:04
Are those Muscadine grapes?

Yes, they are muscadines.  I only grow the dark purple ones.  If you look at what I wrote on my first post you will see a link to my web site.  I have photo and videos from last year so you can see what the grapes look like.  They are very sweet and have a lot of flavor.  I really like my home made wine!
2016-4-23
Use props
igot2n0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

Don Loftus Posted at 2016-4-23 21:57
Yes, they are muscadines.  I only grow the dark purple ones.  If you look at what I wrote on my fi ...

Yep, most Florida wines are made from Muscadines. I am from South Florida. Down my way they make wine from everything except for grapes: coconut, avocado, star fruit, or anything else that can be fermented. It makes you expand your definition of "wine."
2016-4-23
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don Loftus Posted at 2016-4-23 02:40
Quickpoint, I understand what you are saying, but I agree with the others that the FAA is not worri ...

Aloha Don,

In-house operations are not commercial.  So there should be no problems with your very enjoyable video.  When you sell your services, then it is commercial.  BTW, the proposed rulemaking for micro drones (P3s and P4s) suggest that the new FAA commercial certification will only cost about $214.  (2120-AJ60_NPRM_2-15-2015_joint_signature.pdf)

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules