maps not being cached for offline use in DJI Go App
3353 7 2016-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Ever since the last FW upgrade, when my home point updates, the map (which it tells me to check) is just a picture of the entire United States, and not a close up map of where I am located in the US anymore. I am downloading the area I am in for offline use in google maps (which is how I cached maps before the last FW upgrade), and I never had this problem before the latest FW. My main issue with this is, well two things: 1. I can no longer see if I am close to a NFZ before launching, making my flights much more dangerous, as I travel up and down the east coast on a daily basis for work and am usually flying in a different city/state every day, and obviously don't know where every single NFZ is in the 5 states i travel through(there's hundreds at the least). 2. If GPS fails, I have read that A LOT of operators have had close calls with fly-aways, and only were able to return after switching to Atti mode and flying home using their map (there is another thread currently about this). As of right now, the map, home point, all these features are useless to me because the DJI Go App will not use the maps i am caching for use with it correctly, therefore rendering that little square in the corner of my screen useless. Has anybody else experienced this since the last FW upgrade? I am using Android (Google Nexus 7 II Tablet).

2016-4-23
Use props
malvern
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but do you Zoom in Pinch with two fingers to zoom in or out.
2016-4-23
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

I also use a Nexus 7 '13 tablet (wifi only), and I also cache my maps for offline use via the Google Maps app.  I activate Airplane Mode on the Nexus when flying, thus disabling wifi- making only offline saved maps available.  I flew the P3P just a few days ago (with the Go App having been updated to 2.7.2 & the P3 fw updated to 1.8...), and everything seemed to be working fine:  offline-saved maps, both in normal & satellite views, zoomed in or zoomed out, looked good.  The only thing I can think of is to double-check the status of your saved offline map; I know that I have to "update"/refresh my saved maps, in Google Maps, every 29 days.
2016-4-23
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

CaptRuss Posted at 2016-4-23 09:55
I also use a Nexus 7 '13 tablet (wifi only), and I also cache my maps for offline use via the Google ...

I appreciate the input. What I do is get to the hotel where I'm staying, connect to the WiFi, then download the map (for offline use) of the area i'm getting ready to fly in. Then, after it's done downloading, I turn off WiFi, turn on Airplane mode and Do Not Disturb mode, and put the tablet in the case and leave to go fly. This is exactly what I did before FW 1.8 and Go app 2.7.2, but now it does not work, and only shows a picture of the entire United States as my map in the corner of my screen. When I get back to my bird today, I'll post a picture of what my map looks like when I'm about to fly (or flying). The main problem is that I can no longer see if I'm near a NFZ, as I am not aware of anything else (besides the map on the DJI Go App) that will tell me exactly where I am in relation to NFZs in real time.
2016-4-23
Use props
Nicelypm1
lvl.2

United States

Mine P3A seems to have same problem saving cached maps also since FW 1.8 and iOS DJI GO 2.7.2 Went to fly this morning and no maps  just a white grid. Used my cell phone as mobile hot spot then connected I pad mini 3 to phone by wifi which then brought the maps up. had same problem last week and had to fly with out maps available. Other than the map cache problem have been pleased with new update.
2016-4-23
Use props
mjanzou
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14820 ft
United States

Hmmm, IOS as well????

I got my offline maps working in fw 1.8, android go app 272 again and quite by accident, perhaps you can try this out yourself...

Initially i had several offline maps downloaded for my immediate and surrounding areas respectively.

After i deleted all my offline maps and ONLY caching a single offline map of the area i planned to fly in, they worked again.

I believe that having more than one offline area downloaded, 'cached locally', might be causing the go app some confusion?????

Just a swag, but give it a try on your setup

swag = scientific wild ass guess
2016-4-23
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

mjanzou@gmail.c Posted at 2016-4-23 15:17
Hmmm, IOS as well????

I got my offline maps working in fw 1.8, android go app 272 again and quite b ...

haha thanks, i'll try that next time I fly. Can't hurt.
2016-4-23
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

malvern Posted at 2016-4-23 07:29
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but do you Zoom in Pinch with two fingers to zoom in or ...

I mean I can, and continue to zoom in all the way to the actual area i'm in, but it doesn't show the immediate area i'm in like I downloaded, and it won't let me zoom in all the way so it shows the immediate area I downloaded, thus giving me no idea of where I am in relation to NFZs. It also does not stay zoomed in once I go back to camera view, it goes right back to a map of the entire U.S. It did not do this once before the new FW and App update, and now it does it every single flight. I have no more access to maps on my flights, which is actually kind of dangerous for several different reasons. I would think DJI would want to have some input here, as one of their main safety features to keep you flying where it's safe is not working anymore for me for no explainable reason besides I updated the app to their most current version.
2016-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules