Compass 2 Disconnected
5236 14 2016-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Damager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9052 ft
United States

Had a minor run in with a wall which broke a prop, and drone ended up upside down (fell about 2 feet).  Now I'm getting "Compass Error" on startup, and when I go to sensors it tells me that "Compass 2 disconnected".  

Is this something I can fix (reasonably handy) or do I need to send in to repair?  
2016-4-23
Use props
bfd300
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73661 ft
United States

did you try to re-calibrate compass and IMU?
2016-4-23
Use props
Damager
lvl.4
United States

bfd300 Posted at 2016-4-23 12:20
did you try to re-calibrate compass and IMU?

Yes - have tried recalibrating compass multiple times, but get same compass error.  I'm guessing the cable on compass 2 disconnected when the drone went down.  Just wondering how hard it would be to check the connection on both ends.
2016-4-23
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Damager Posted at 2016-4-24 03:26
Yes - have tried recalibrating compass multiple times, but get same compass error.  I'm guessing t ...

You can see the display of compass sensor data in the  Go app but if it's showing that it's getting no input from one of the compasses, that's it.
The compass is either wrecked or more likely its cable is broken or disconnected.
2016-4-23
Use props
Damager
lvl.4
United States

I'd go ahead and dig in myself if there were some better tear downs available online.  
2016-4-23
Use props
jstjohnz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1146388 ft
United States

Just curious, will it let you fly it with only one working compass?
2016-4-23
Use props
mmarkoe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2710 ft
United States

jstjohnz Posted at 2016-4-23 23:10
Just curious, will it let you fly it with only one working compass?

Mine works on one compass. Been flying all weekend. Sending back for repair this week as want the redundancy.
Marty
2016-4-24
Use props
Damager
lvl.4
United States

Yes - it seems that it WILL let me take off with only 1 compass.  Makes me nervous, however.
2016-4-24
Use props
Damager
lvl.4
United States

I took it for a flight today.  Continued to complain about the compass error on compass 2, but flew just fine.  Anyone know how "tough" these compasses are?  Is a disconnected compass in a situation like mine more likely to be a plug loose (easy to fix) or a broken component (which I don't even know where to order)?
2016-4-24
Use props
kamil.chusnutdi
lvl.1

Lithuania

Had the same issue today.  After a little crash in a tree, i have Compass error: Compass 2 Disconnected. Have you fixed yours?
2016-5-6
Use props
fans4663abf7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 174813 ft
South Africa

Mine hasn't had any crashes and I just happened to look and it says compass 1 is disconnected.
2017-1-1
Use props
SPRTBKRYDR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

Damager Posted at 2016-4-23 17:53
I'd go ahead and dig in myself if there were some better tear downs available online.

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/blog/p ... ardown-whats-inside
2017-1-1
Use props
Curt Martini
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9915 ft
United States

Damager Posted at 2016-4-24 13:57
I took it for a flight today.  Continued to complain about the compass error on compass 2, but flew just fine.  Anyone know how "tough" these compasses are?  Is a disconnected compass in a situation like mine more likely to be a plug loose (easy to fix) or a broken component (which I don't even know where to order)?

Hello everyone.
I have been rebuilding a friend's crashed P4. I thought I might add in a little info on this compass issue.
Out of several components changed out to get this Phantom back in the air, the landing gear was one of them. In the landing gear is the left #1 compass and right #2 compass. After installing the landing gear with the new compass, and a second disassembly for other reasons, I got the compass #2 disconnected notice. I unclipped the connector in the landing gear on the right and found that one of the pins from the compass came out with the connector.
In my opinion that is a very fragile component to have broken that easy on a new set of gear and a new compass. In no way did I ever apply so much stress on this connector to fear that I was going to break a solder joint.
It also seems to me that 95% of the topics I have read on this subject all reflect the #2 compass.
Could this possibly be indication of a bad, or cold solder joint during production .
For the price and ease of install, I ordered a new gear set so that I do not chance a crash to a $25 part. I will pay particular attention to the #2 compass during installation .
2017-3-26
Use props
Der KOMAtar
New

Germany

Geile Info danke dir. Bei mir ist nach einem Sturz auch ein Kompass 2 Fehler aufgetreten. Und ja in der Stütze wenn von oben schaut und DJI lesen kann. Dann der untere Rechte Stecker. Dieser hat sich gelöst. Ich will mir eigentlich keine neue Stütze kaufen und Versuche es Mal zu löten.
2023-9-17
Use props
Der KOMAtar
New

Germany

Curt Martini Posted at 2017-3-26 07:21
Hello everyone.
I have been rebuilding a friend's crashed P4. I thought I might add in a little info on this compass issue.
Out of several components changed out to get this Phantom back in the air, the landing gear was one of them. In the landing gear is the left #1 compass and right #2 compass. After installing the landing gear with the new compass, and a second disassembly for other reasons, I got the compass #2 disconnected notice. I unclipped the connector in the landing gear on the right and found that one of the pins from the compass came out with the connector.

Great information, thank you. I also experienced a compass 2 error after a fall. And yes in the support when looking from above and DJI can read. Then the bottom right connector. This has come loose. I don't really want to buy a new support and try to solder it.
2023-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules