Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Android Flight app
12Next >
8696 60 2015-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

https://www.facebook.com/DJIUltimateFlight

http://www.kenargo.com/AndroidApps/UltimateFlight/

Beta downloads are available through sign-up; information at the above websites.

The final release of the DJI Ultimate Flight app will pick up where the DJI VISION App left off. Over time features will be added, initially for camera and following with complete autonomous flight that will extend the features currently included in the Vision App and Ground Station.

This app is intended to work with the DJI Phantom Vision and DJI Phantom Vision+. Support for the Inspire 1 will follow once DJI releases the public SDK.

This app allows remote camera control through a mobile or tablet device.

What is in this version:

* On screen live camera feed and tracking map. Using Google Maps and Phantom GPS location you can follow the location or you, your Phantom and the current home point. The map will scale out and center the 3 points as the Phantom flies.

* Phantom/pilot orientation - The live flight graphic of the Phantom will orientate based on the Phantom's bearing, allowing you to quickly rotate the Phantom to any bearing, including back to the pilot.

* Home point too far warning - both on-screen and audible warning when home point is beyond a set distance from the pilot.

* Satellite count warning - Similar to the home point warning you can configure when to show a warning based on the satellite count dropping below a defined threshold.

* Voice feedback - the voice feedback system will report flight information on a regular basis (default 30 seconds). A number of parameters can be set based on the information you would like to hear. Satellite count, speed, distance are only a few.

* Variable-speed camera gimbal control - an on-screen thumb control give you camera elevation control, move the thumb control a little, results in slow gimbal movements, move it more, faster gimbal speeds.

* Dynamic home point - default off. When enabled the Phantom's home location will be updated to your current location approximately every 1-2 seconds

* Map home point - default off. When enabled the you can use the on-screen map to select the home point. This is especially good for piloting from locations that may not suit well for auto-navigation and landing, allowing you to move the home point to a more clear location.

* On-screen flight information, altitude, distance and speed displayed in the lower portion of the screen.

* On-screen status - WIFI, Phantom battery, SD card health, satellite count and camera control and setup is all displayed or available from the flight screen without ever losing sight of the live video stream.

* Map caching - cache your current location or a location you plan to fly later allowing you to use offline maps when flying.

* Camera auto-start - configure your video to start and stop with the flight. NO more forgetting to turn on your video or forgetting to turn it off.
2015-1-15
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

Awesome! If I had a P2 Vision I would test it out. Cheers to innovation!

My Hanger - Check Out My http://www.youtube.com/humboldt710 Channel
Phantom 2w/H3-3D gimbal & GoPro Hero3+, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, iOSDMini, Large Skids
Phantom 2 w/600tvl, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, V2ESC's, MultiStar 2212 Motors, iOSD Mini, Custom Wood Skids &Paint
Lumenier QAV250 Carbon on 4S, Cobra 2204/1960Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, Aero Guard, CF Camera Mount, CC3D, FrSkyD4R-II, Mobius
Hubsan X4 Stock mini racer, Hubsan X4107DNon FPV(now) racer project, Taranis X9D w/external Antenna &2200mah lipo, Dominator V2's w/goggle mod

2015-1-16
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

Requet sent.  lookign forward to it.
2015-1-16
Use props
TSP181
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18258 ft
United States

This type of innovation could make me pick up a 7" Android  tablet.   I will watch to see when it is out of Beta.  
2015-1-16
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Will it be able to co-exist with the original app, I would like to try it if allowed.
2015-1-16
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

umpa Posted at 2015-1-16 22:57
Will it be able to co-exist with the original app, I would like to try it if allowed.

It can co-exist on the same device but only 1 app can be connected to the Phantom at a time so both apps cannot be running an connected at the same time which I suspect was what you may have been asking.

This restriction is the reason that I'm somewhat re-inventing the wheel and implementing Vision app functionality plus.  The plus is the new features I'm adding like side-by-side live and map.  Over time I will have full Vision app functionality, including Ground Station.  The 1st version nearly covers all camera functionality in the Vision app and adds the features above.  Once this version is complete I'll move to Ground Station flight in which I'm hoping to have some interesting features: follow me and point of interest to make a few (dependent on what the SDK supports at the time).

Hope this makes sense.
2015-1-16
Use props
drone
lvl.4

United States

I tried it out on both my Nexus7 and my Nexus5.  
-The app would cash when switching between the map and live mode.
-The Home location is always off by 10+ meters

What is the zero next to the red arrow for?
Needs camera settings screen.

I am looking forward to the final released app.
2015-1-16
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

The crash is a bug in the DJI SDK;  they are aware of it and it's crashing 3 +/- other developer's apps as well so hopefully it is a high priority for them to get it fixed.

Can you elaborate on the home point being off?   Are you referring to home point reporting,  dynamic home point or using a map to set the home point?  Home point icon code reads the home point lat/lng and passes it unchanged to google map SDK so I wouldn't expect it to be off (or if it is off it would be off by the accuracy of Phantom reporting).  In all testing so far I haven't seen it off by 10+ meters so I'm curious what you are seeing.

The 0 next to the red arrow is supposed to be remaining flight time on the battery.  It has been reported to DJI; the SDK is always returning 0 no matter what

Camera setting are all there; from the live screen slide in from the left side and a full camera menu should fly out.  I'm adding a small icon to indicate something is there; many people are missing.

Thanks for the feedback; I'm interested in hearing more about the home point.
2015-1-16
Use props
drone
lvl.4

United States

It's the home point reporting, it always tells me it is greater than 10 meters. I have to correct it using the map.

Also even though the grayed out Unit Display is set to Imperial it always report speed in km/h

Thanks for letting me know about the camera setting
2015-1-17
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Where would you like Test and bug reporting - in this thread ?
2015-1-17
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

From the website there is a contact page, you can use that (and I get email) which would make questions and update easier; especially since there is no email notifications here.  The website also tracks known issues and will list fixes as they are made and new download.

I will announce new releases here, on facebook page and website; ultimately I may make some kind of notification email thingy...

Thanks for testing!!
2015-1-17
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Do you mean the link on the "downloads" page?  I just tried it and it works.
2015-1-17
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

guymacdonald@ip Posted at 2015-1-18 07:05
Is it not possible to include the Phantom 2 with GoPro and a Video Downlink of some sort?

Regards

I could but it would need a very different connection for the live screen.  I'll add it to the wish list for the future but I would need to purchase equipment and create all new code for the live screen since it would be coming from GoPro.  Is there no app that give you live feed on the Phantom 2 with GoPro?  I understand DJI doesn't have one but, no one?
2015-1-17
Use props
DarylWM
lvl.2

Australia

Congratulations for shipping it Ken.
2015-1-17
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

guymacdonald@ip Posted at 2015-1-18 07:08
You're link to your you-tube doesn't work.

Regards

Weird. It should be good now.

My Hanger
Phantom 2w/H3-3D gimbal & GoPro Hero3+, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, iOSDMini, Large Skids
Phantom 2 w/600tvl, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, V2ESC's, MultiStar 2212 Motors, iOSD Mini, Custom Wood Skids &Paint
Lumenier QAV250 Carbon on 4S, Cobra 2204/1960Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, Aero Guard, CF Camera Mount, CC3D, FrSkyD4R-II, Mobius
Hubsan X4 Stock mini racer, Hubsan X4107DNon FPV(now) racer project, Taranis X9D w/external Antenna & 2200mah lipo, Dominator V2's w/goggle mod
Check Out My http://www.youtube.com/humboldt710 Channel
2015-1-17
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Updated download is now available with the following changes:

Fixed WIFI strength setting was not following configuration setting for on/off.

Change: wifi strength is Off by default.

Change: Reordered application settings menu: Created new "Camera Configuration" section, moved "live stream resolution" and "video starts and stops with flight" into the new section.

New: Added "When Connection Breaks" configuration which was removed from camera settings screen.

New "Enable Return Home When Battery Low".  The Phantom has an internal default of ON for this feature (Vision app is off by default).  The prior release did not expose not set the value and as such pilots who flew until batteries where low where seeing thei Phantoms landing on low battery.  Default is "off" to match behavior in Vision App.

Change: Frequency of updating dynamic home location from every 1/2 second to every 2 seconds.

Change: Moved the DJI SDK call that resulted in the app crashing then existing live screen into the code for the main screen.  This does not remove the crash (DJI needs to fix that in the SDK) but with the changes the app crashes when you leave the main screen which would likely be when you are closing the app so I feel the new behavior is much less annoying.

Change: Removed "When Connection Breaks" configuration from camera settings screen, it is now located on the app settings screen.

New: Added camera menu wink; users where unable to find the camera settings menu.  Wink behavior causes the menu to peak out from the side giving the user notice that it is available.  Once you use the menu it will stop winking unless app settings are reset to default.

Change: Flight information reads every 60 seconds, was every 30 seconds.

Fix: possibility to crash if dynamic home point was enabled when phantom was powered off.

Fix: it was possible to have both dynamic and map home point settings enabled at the same time.

Change: disabled auto zoom in; the current calculation does not work well on all screen sizes.  auto-zoom out is still enabled and appears to be working as designed.

Fixed: Dynamic home point now sets to the correct location

Fixed: Map no longer jumps when location points are moving around due to accuracy updates for pilot or Phantom current location or home location.

Change: When using dynamic home point the map no longer orientates the pilot icon towards home as it would result in map spinning as home point moves
2015-1-18
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

i sent the request for beta software but have not received anything yet.  Is there now a delay?
2015-1-19
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

There is no longer a requirement to send requests; there is a download page and direct download link on the page.  Have you tried the link?

I sent a few replies today from website requests and if you have not received a reply from me please let me know.  

Ken
2015-1-19
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

Will this work on Android 5.0.2 nexus 7?
2015-1-19
Use props
ciprianboboc
lvl.2

United States

kenargo Posted at 2015-1-20 00:51
There is no longer a requirement to send requests; there is a download page and direct download link ...

Great job, Ken!
2015-1-19
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

adrianmizzi1983 Posted at 2015-1-20 01:22
Will this work on Android 5.0.2 nexus 7?

I'd really appreciate it if you are able to test in Lollipop!   I don't have a physical device but it runs on the emulator.   As the Vision app, as I understand it, does NOT use the SDK it is possible my app will work correctly.  If you are able to confirm that one way or another it would be much appreciated and good information to have.
2015-1-19
Use props
drone.email
lvl.4

United States

Ken,

Your latest update works better on both my Nexus5 & 7 running 4.4.4. The Home Point issues seem to be from the phones GPS accuracy not the drone. The phone reports my position incorrectly. I really like this app and will use it now after today's flight instead of the DJI Vision app.

Please allow  the speed to be reported in MPH and not only KPH in a future update.

The video freezes sometimes in 640 x 480 mode (30 & 15 fps) on my Nexus5, but it still works better in that mode than the DJI app.  I do understand that 640 x 480 may tax the phones processor (maybe I just need a better phone). I can't use 640 x 480 with either app on my 2012 Nexus7, It's choppy and heavily pixelated.

Thanks again for this app.
2015-1-19
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the information.  Did you turn on dynamic home point?  The home point icon should as reported from the Phantom unless you either use the map touch (to set a home point) or dynamic home point which would update using your device's location reporting.  Are you saying that the home point is set to the device even though you don't have dynamic home point enabled or is it something else?

Yes, I do plan to enable Imperial scale; I just haven't gotten to that item yet but feet and MPH will be coming.

Screen resolution is something I'd like to figure a better way.  Basically, DJI provides a decoder that processes the screen image to the screen.  The feed from the Phantom is always the highest frame rate; the only thing that changes is how well/fast the device can decode.  When you change the settings for live feed it only affects the decoder; nothing is sent to the Phantom that changes he feed (it was interesting finding this out as I've read many threads suggesting that the Phantom lessens the feed resolution which I now know it doesn't).

I'd like to write my own decoder (or find a better one to use) but that is a rather significant task all by itself and the video stream is not documented at all so I suspect it would take much trial/error (and hope that DJI doesn't change the protocol in the future).

Let me know what you think when you get to fly it and be sure you have the latest version (posted last night); it has many fixes as noted above.

Enjoy.
2015-1-19
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Release Candidate 1

This release is the release I plan to post to the Google Play Store.  I feel that it is very close but I need you to let me know what you like and don't like!

Download: http://www.kenargo.com/AndroidApps/UltimateFlight/

Changed are detailed below:

New: Moved speech initialization into main activity so that pop-up to download voice files happens before connecting to live screen

Change: App refreshes individual camera menu values when not detected; prior to this all items refreshed at once which could lead to one or more items not updating when there was a communications error between the Phantom and device.

New: Display units have been added for Imperial (US) and Metric (everyone else).  Default = Metric

New: Calibrate compass button, complete with instruction.

New: Advance Setup menu added in main configuration.

New: Calibrate altitude to 0.  Located on the new Advanced Settings menu, default off.  When enabled the app will read the current reported altitude when the motors are switched from off to on and apply the value as an offset for flight altitude reporting.  This is for display and reporting only.

New: Screen layout.  Icons moved along the top, video and map screen layout sizes optimized.  Camera and Video buttons relocated.

Changed: Expanded on-screen text information to fill screen bottom

New: Phantom direction bearing indicator, lower left of screen.

New: A home location marker is visible within the compass to indicate Phantom's bearing to home.

Removed: Removed SD card as an on-screen indicator.  The status of the SD is reported on the new pre-flight report.

Fixed: When speech is turned off the indicator for "Say flight information" should show off to match

Removed: Time remaining was removed.  It always reports 0 due to bug in DJI SDK

New: Distance options: report distance as the distance between the Phantom to the pilot or distance Phantom to Home (default: to home).

New: Added warning text before software expires so give reminder to install a newer version.  This is only used during beta, once online in the Play Store there will be no expiration.

New: Flight timer

New: FPV Mode settings (Vision+ ONLY)

New: Pre-flight Report card.  Checks and reports on MCU status, satellite count, home point set, distance, Phantom battery, extender battery, camera and SD card

New: Phantom Tracks - saves flight information into a CSV file.  Future versions will enable offline flight reply.
2015-1-23
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

When I try to open the new version you posted I get "Parse Error - There is a problem parsing the package"

The version before this one worked ok.
Android 4.4.2 on a LG G3

I love what you are doing with the app.
2015-1-23
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

stock12to32 Posted at 2015-1-24 10:15
When I try to open the new version you posted I get "Parse Error - There is a problem parsing the pa ...

I'm investigating; there does appear to be an issue with the download functionality.

I'll report back shortly.
2015-1-23
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I've added a second method to download the APK file using an HTML 5 download attribute.  It appears that on some devices the primary download method is not working well and results in parsing errors.  

Can you try the alternative download link; located just under the primary one on the page you visited before and see if that works for you?

Sorry about the issues,
Ken
2015-1-23
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I am also getting the parse error.
2015-1-23
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

Second method worked for me!
2015-1-23
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

2nd link worked for me as well.
Thank you
2015-1-23
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Glad to hear it; give it a go and tell me what you think.  Barring any bad critical issues this will likely be posted to Google Play store next week +/-.

Please report back!
2015-1-23
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

Ken,
Thanks for adding Feet and MPH. Also not sure if it was in earlier version but the wide,med and narrow FOV setting at 1080 is nice. My Vision app only had 2 FOV settings. Really like the set altitude to zero feature. This is my flight app of choice, Vision app takes a back seat.

-Frequent crashes on my Nexus7 when switching between menus, but not on my Nexus5 both running 4.4.4 (May be my Nexus7 - low)
-When the live video resolution is changed the status doesn't change on the fly out menu until the app is stopped and restated (-low)
-When Live Video resolution is changed via fly out menu FPS are not displayed, only screen size is. Maybe not enough room (-med)
-Home Lock Distance Warning seems to be reported even when slide is set to off. I put in large number to stop it. (-med)
-Missing 1080p 24 fps (-med)

Suggestions:
-Add ability to set voice update interval for non errors may allow 60 seconds
-Add option for auto pictures with user selectable interval
-Change Flight log file type to cvs
2015-1-23
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

First, a BIG THANKS for helping to test and reporting your issues!  I will investigate them all.  The random crash appears to be common with all developers working with the SDK and I have been told that DJI is investigating it.  I've done some moving around of code known to cause a crash more commonly but I may be limited until DJI correct the issue in the next SDK.  Which menus are you switching between when it crashes?

I'll look at the issues you mention, a few items of note and clarification...

* You mentioned the ability to "set voice update interval for non errors".  There is a setting currently under the app settings menu "Say flight information".  Are you saying that is not working?  It defaults to 60 seconds but you can change it to whatever you want.  I'm curious; do you find the default of 60 seconds is too long or too short?

* "auto pictures with user selectable interval" - this is available currently, assuming I understand your ask.   You can find this ability under "Camera mode".  You can set capture mode to be single, 3 and 5 frames in quick succession or timed.  Timed can support 'n' captures, 3-60 seconds between each capture.  Is this what you are looking for?  If not could you describe in more details so I can investigate it?

* You mean the file extension?  Yes, I can do that.

Where should 1080P 24 fps show up; it is unclear where this is missing and checking the SDK I don't see it either but I might be looking in the wrong place?
2015-1-23
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Specifically about the "Home Lock Distance Warning"; are you referring to the verbal warning or on-screen warning?  There are separate configurations for each.  The on-screen setting is the app settings near the top (Home Lock Distance Warning) and if this is turned off it will turn off on-screen AND spoken warning.  Another setting, for spoken only is in the "Warning Information Settings"; there it only turns off the spoken warning, leaving the on-screen warning enabled.  I've tested here and both appear to be working; would you elaborate on the method  you are using to turn off the warning, which warning (screen or spoken) and which is not working as you expect it to?

Do you really mean a file extension of cvs?  Comma-delimited is usually csv.
2015-1-23
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JATO, I have a few questions (above) but in the meanwhile I have made some fixes as you mentioned.  You did so well at describing them that it was easy to find the issue, fix and test.  The download has been refreshed with the following changes:

I'm looking forward to hearing your replies to my questions regarding your report (above).

Fixed:
* Change Flight log file type .csv
* When the live video resolution is changed the status doesn't change on the fly out menu until the app is stopped and restated (-low)
* When Live Video resolution is changed via fly out menu FPS are not displayed, only screen size is. Maybe not enough room (-med)
2015-1-23
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

Ken,

See my answers & comments below:

I'll look at the issues you mention, a few items of note and clarification...
* You mentioned the ability to "set voice update interval for non errors".  There is a setting currently under the app settings menu "Say flight information".  Are you saying that is not working?  It defaults to 60 seconds but you can change it to whatever you want.  I'm curious; do you find the default of 60 seconds is too long or too short?

-Somehow I missed the setting. It was set to 30 seconds which I thought was too short, 60 second is what I wanted.

* "auto pictures with user selectable interval" - this is available currently, assuming I understand your ask.   You can find this ability under "Camera mode".  You can set capture mode to be single, 3 and 5 frames in quick succession or timed.  Timed can support 'n' captures, 3-60 seconds between each capture.  Is this what you are looking for?

-Again a setting I missed, does exactly what I want.

Where should 1080P 24 fps show up; it is unclear where this is missing and checking the SDK I don't see it either but I might be looking in the wrong place?

-In the DJI Vision app it shows up right after to 1080P 30 fps setting. It is actually listed as 25 fps not the 24 I said.

Specifically about the "Home Lock Distance Warning"; are you referring to the verbal warning or on-screen warning?  There are separate configurations for each.  The on-screen setting is the app settings near the top (Home Lock Distance Warning) and if this is turned off it will turn off on-screen AND spoken warning.  Another setting, for spoken only is in the "Warning Information Settings"; there it only turns off the spoken warning, leaving the on-screen warning enabled.  I've tested here and both appear to be working; would you elaborate on the method  you are using to turn off the warning, which warning (screen or spoken) and which is not working as you expect it to?

-So I figured this out. The "Home Lock" switch must be set under "Speech Settings" before you turn-off the setting under the "Warning Information Settings". If the "Speech Settings" for the "Home Lock Too Far" is not set first it will be as grayed out and you won't be able to change it. In my case the settings in the "Speech Settings" was set to "On" so after I turned off the "Home Lock Distance Warning" under "Warning Information Settings" the voice message would always be on and only the message that displayed on the screen would be turned off.

Fixed:
* Change Flight log file type .csv
* When the live video resolution is changed the status doesn't change on the fly out menu until the app is stopped and restated (-low)
* When Live Video resolution is changed via fly out menu FPS are not displayed, only screen size is. Maybe not enough room (-med)

-Yep all the above works thanks.

-One questions is there a way to set the RTH height in your app? I thought I saw it before but now I can't seem find it.
-Can you add an Exit button so you can exit the app?
-Sometimes the values I set are not saved (Home Lock Distance Warning, Home Lock Too Far, etc)
2015-1-24
Use props
johnkilcline
lvl.3

Portugal

A question, please will this work on the Epson Moverio BT-200 glasses?
2015-1-24
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

johnkilcline@gm Posted at 2015-1-25 01:47
A question, please will this work on the Epson Moverio BT-200 glasses?

Not, it will not.

Epson Moverio is a difficult device to support.  The most challenging part is that the device doesn't run an official release of Android, the other, and an issue for my app is that it runs Android 4.0 (this app requires 4.2 and above).

I don't have a device but can you confirm my understandings; it is second hand information I am going by.

Also, I understand that you can't access Google Play store from the Epson Moverio and if true there would be no method to get the app to the device as the final version will be a paid-app and without Google Play store the license manager would block any download/copy installation.

Let me know what you find out; maybe Epson will be updating the Android version...

2015-1-24
Use props
stans.email
lvl.2

United States

Hi Ken,
Great work and thanks for providing us with this app.  I'm new at quad flying....had installed the original DJI Vision app and I really like the added features you are creating.  

Quick question....I have a Phantom 2 Vision (non +) I noticed that on my install of your app the FC-200 camera tracks slowly from down to up but rapidly from up to down....there seems to be no ability to go partial track it seems that its all up or all down...is my unit working properly or is this the way the App is suppose to work?...it would be nice if taps would only move the camera slightly either up or down.

Thanks for the great work and your app will be a great help to me.

Rick
2015-1-24
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

stans.email Posted at 2015-1-25 05:44
Hi Ken,
Great work and thanks for providing us with this app.  I'm new o quad flying....had installe ...

Camera movement should occur fast or slow depending on how far you move the control.  If you slide the control only a little then the movement is slow.  Is it possible you are moving the control with an expectation that it is a camera position rather than a camera speed control?
2015-1-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules