12Next >
9240 71 2015-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
max
lvl.3

South Africa

Good Morning all

Did anybody else notice the Ios(Apple) version of the DJI Pilot app just disappeared off the DJI website?

Please tell me this is temporary, and DJI is finalising the migration to the iStore?

It would be an enormous blow if Apple just banned the DJI pilot app!

Waiting to hear further news with little beads of sweat rolling down my forehead
2015-1-16
Use props
Blip
lvl.2

United States

I believe it is because the website was broken. I'm guessing it'll be fixed in the next few hours; they wouldn't get rid of iOS after spending so much effort developing it.
2015-1-16
Use props
steph
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29587 ft
France

I hope it is for an update an i hope it will  resolve my update in 12.16 ... Because now the gimbal was crazy since update
2015-1-16
Use props
max
lvl.3

South Africa

Let us hold Thumbs
2015-1-16
Use props
steph
lvl.2
France

Yes .... But little carry
2015-1-16
Use props
tim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 328684 ft
United Kingdom

My app is now stuck in "Waiting..." status
2015-1-16
Use props
mail
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26919 ft
Germany

I got this answer from DJI:
15:08:57

soory sir , Apple is reviewing our APP approximately 1 to several weeks to solve
2015-1-16
Use props
max
lvl.3

South Africa

mail@le-ber.de Posted at 2015-1-16 22:15
I got this answer from DJI:
15:08:57

Sounds ominous
2015-1-16
Use props
Helipal
lvl.1

United States

If you check the DJI support section, you can see they have also removed all reference to IOS products as supported systems in the Inspire 1 specifications - This is more than ominous, this could be a disaster for anyone who just spent money buying a brand new Ipad for their Inspire 1. Lets hope this is not a long term or permanent situation.
2015-1-16
Use props
bill
lvl.2
United States

Helipal Posted at 2015-1-16 23:44
If you check the DJI support section, you can see they have also removed all reference to IOS prod ...

If you just purchased an IOS product; it might not be a bad idea to return it before the return window closes.  That's what I am doing anyway.

Hopefully, Apple will approve before we all are forced to go to the "dark side" of Android.  As others have noted, there is some slimmer of light that Apple will approve the USB video passthrough to IOS.
2015-1-16
Use props
max
lvl.3

South Africa

bill Posted at 2015-1-16 23:54
If you just purchased an IOS product; it might not be a bad idea to return it before the return wi ...

I'd like to think of myself as a reasonably levelheaded person, so I cant believe DJI wont do everything in their power to rectify the situation.

OK, it's their own doing for pushing a product under public pressure as an immature product, but then, they did announce and launch it with great fanfare.
Now that certain serious issues are coming to light, I'm sure nobody is more nervous and committed to solving the problems than they are.

DJI simply cannot afford to lose the Apple angle, its a huge part of their image, and help sales beyond belief.

With Walkera breathing down their neck with the Voyager 3, a very similar, but in some ways, even more cleverly designed drone, they must be sweating bullets, so lets see what they come up with

We are all betting on DJI being VHS, but even with huge resources, commitment and marketing, eventually the end user does decide the fate of a format..
Ask Sony Betamax

2015-1-16
Use props
bill
lvl.2
United States

I agree DJI is probably sweating major bullets right now.  Unfortunately, it is really up to Apple and they have a horrible track record for bending "their principles"; even when misguided.  If Apple believes that passing the video through the USB cord to the IOS device is not in their marketing best interest; then it will never happen.

Now that the beast is awakened, the implications for DJI's products extend much further than the Inspire 1.  As you stated, it's scary stuff for the Apple fan boys out there and DJI overall.  One can only hope that Apple is OK with passing through video now.  As other's have stated on different threads there are now a couple of other apps on the App Store; so at least there is a president.
2015-1-16
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

My new iPad Mini 2 arrived just last night (1 day after me new Inspire 1).  I have been watching the online store and noticed that all the "refurbished" versions of the Wifi Only models where all snapped up by Christmas/Earlier Inspire beta testers.  After reading all the info on the Web, Apple iPad seemed like the best option, and since all the Refurbished ones were gone, I decided to buy a "NEW" one since my iPad 4 retina wouldn't fit in the holder..... Furthermore, since I was buying new, why not get the "Free Engraving" that the iStore offers..... NOW it appears that my engraved iPad Mini 2 won't work with the Inspire and with all reference to Apple products scrubbed from the DJI store, it doesn't look like that will change anytime soon   
2015-1-16
Use props
Helipal
lvl.1

United States

We need to give DJI a few days to provide an explanation for why they are amending their specification to remove IOS - I'm hoping it's temporary while the lawyers work it out.

If ultimately no solution is found to resolve the DJI / Apple dispute, DJI would be wise to provide a free android tablet to all current and future owners. Otherwise, they may risk a rash of returns to their distributors, diminished future sales, and a lot of bad press.
2015-1-16
Use props
david.spencer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7192 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I too bought a new iPad air 2, this is starting to really get to me. Might cancel my order before it ships
2015-1-16
Use props
steph
lvl.2
France

If dji put app in appstore please dji publish app statut you can get it from apple it is online H24 7/7
Login in developer site to get it and tell to your inspire user ...

for the moment
http://appreviewtimes.com
2015-1-17
Use props
eric.zucker
New

Switzerland

bill Posted at 2015-1-17 00:28
I agree DJI is probably sweating major bullets right now.  Unfortunately, it is really up to Apple a ...

How about Elgato TV receivers which let you watch video on iPhones and iPads?
I'd be really surprised that this would be the issue. You can pass Ethernet over usb, think of connection sharing.

More likely Apple refuses distribution of apps through other channels than the App Store, except for testing or internal company usage.

You may like or not Apple's policies, and I agree some are debatable, but that's what they are.
In the end apple users have been somewhat more protected from malware than other platforms.
2015-1-17
Use props
mattks
lvl.2

South Africa

Shew. I am an apple user. No android devices. Waiting for my inspire to arrive after I was supposedly in the first round of pre orders. Starting to get very worried. I so far have only flown dji products and want to keep it that way. But no iOS app is a deal breaker for me.
2015-1-17
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

tim@digitaltria Posted at 2015-1-16 17:51
My app is now stuck in "Waiting..." status

It probably was doing the update and hung up 1/2 way through. That happened to me and I had to delete the App and now I am in the wait mode like everyone else.
2015-1-17
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'll be really hacked off if DJI withdraw support for the iPad. I think I would have passed on the Inspire if I'd know this from the start.
2015-1-17
Use props
nwellborn85
lvl.2

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-1-18 00:04
It probably was doing the update and hung up 1/2 way through. That happened to me and I had to del ...

You don't have to wait.  People have made backups of their app and posted online.  Its very easy to download and install through itunes.
2015-1-17
Use props
swong3
lvl.1

United States

I find it amazing that DJI does not post "announcements" for all users to get on the same page.  Instead we have to search around on facebook or online forums for information.  I too have the I1 and iPad air 2 and am in limbo.
2015-1-17
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

swong3@austin.r Posted at 2015-1-18 00:17
I find it amazing that DJI does not post "announcements" for all users to get on the same page.  Ins ...

If anything, that's the thing that annoys me most. That said, it's great that the community here and on some FB groups post notices about firmware updates, issues and changes within minutes.
2015-1-17
Use props
rwt0227
lvl.2

United States

bill Posted at 2015-1-16 23:54
If you just purchased an IOS product; it might not be a bad idea to return it before the return wi ...

Really? The "Dark Side?" Are you so clueless as to the track record of Steve Jobs & Apple? Please read his biography. His attitude (and therefore company culture) towards the consumer they were/are serving was despicable. http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Jobs-Walter-Isaacson/dp/1442369051

Android isn't "dark" in any way. If anything it's very WIDE OPEN. If you want to pass video via USB (usb debugging) it's as simple as 7 clicks in the "about" screen to enable "developer mode and check this option on - no root required! (Also rooting isn't a dirty & discouraged thing that it is over at Apple.)

Get a grip man.
2015-1-17
Use props
mlglisson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

lethbrp Posted at 2015-1-18 00:06
I'll be really hacked off if DJI withdraw support for the iPad. I think I would have passed on the I ...

I agree. Ugh.
2015-1-17
Use props
max
lvl.3

South Africa

What really happened here, in laymen terms?

Did DJI f with the bull and get the horns?  Or is it simply a matter of certification?
2015-1-17
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is no hope of apple allowing DJI to run these apps unless apple changes their policy. Their policy is not to allow video over the usb connector. This is clearly an apple policy issue and there is little DJI can do to change apple. The best hope for change is if the apple customer base were to all communicate clearly with apple that they want this feature to be allowed. That means going to apple stores and complain, return recently purchased products. Complain where ever you can until apple gets the message. Right now apple does not care. I am sure the reason DJI is pulling all reference to apple is because apple has told them to remove all reference to them. Apple is threatening to cancel their partnership with DJI. Apple should be listening to customers, not telling them what to do.   
2015-1-17
Use props
max
lvl.3

South Africa

chrisgeigerphot Posted at 2015-1-18 01:40
There is no hope of apple allowing DJI to run these apps unless apple changes their policy. Their po ...

So they got the horns...
2015-1-17
Use props
steph
lvl.2
France

Elgato TV can use USB for data video i think dji use the same . it is not video but streaming data not record video
2015-1-17
Use props
johnjohndufour
lvl.1

United States

Hell we've given DJI a few months to confirm correct version numbers on the Phantom 2 Vision Plus V3.0 ESC's and people are still getting skewed answers from DJI!  This issue with Apple is gonna be huge if DJI doesn't get this worked out quickly.  I've bought 2 DJI drones over the last year (not from flyaways or damage just because I wanted updated models) and I'm seriously thinking my next purchase will be some other brand if they don't get this handled quickly!
2015-1-17
Use props
johnjohndufour
lvl.1

United States

Android is wide open and that's why there's so many apps that don't even work correctly in their library....they need more control over their stuff......maybe not so much as Apple but some non the less!  
2015-1-17
Use props
sekhet
lvl.1

United States

Well, I own an apple iPad air2 and bought another just for the Inspire 1.  I use the iPads for other things that I cannot get apps for android.  My Inspire 1 arrived today and I refuse to open it until I have the iOS app.  Being a reasonable person, I will wait till the 20th of Jan and if still no app for the iOS I will return the Inspire 1 demanding a full refund as is my right when a seller makes false claims about a product.  Under current U.S. law they would have to refund the total purchase price and possibly compensate me for the 2nd iPad air2 purchased just for the Inspire 1.
2015-1-17
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

chrisgeigerphot Posted at 2015-1-18 01:40
There is no hope of apple allowing DJI to run these apps unless apple changes their policy. Their po ...

Oh please, I don't want to hear how this is Apple's Fault.  DJI knows how the APP store works, they have several apps already up.  It is DJI's responsibility to build the app according  to  Apples specs, period. And they have had months to do that. And as far as Android is concerned, DJI is NOT supporting the Kindle FIRE as well. So, guess what, ? ne is forced to go and buy a product that DJI determines will support their apps.  DJI is making these decisions for us!
2015-1-17
Use props
rwt0227
lvl.2

United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-1-18 04:44
Oh please, I don't want to hear how this is Apple's Fault.  DJI knows how the APP store works, the ...

The kindle fire??  BWAHAHA!  They probably don't support it because it's a tablet Amazon locked down themselves. They want customers to buy apps through the AMAZON APP store, instead of google play. In fact there's no "play" [android] app store on Kindle Fire's period - Amazon removed it from the OS.

And to the guy who said that Android is so wide open that that's why there are "so many apps that don't work correctly" that's just ridiculous. The fact is that Android is used on a much larger scale than IOS, period. It's run across many different brands of hardware (LG, Samsung, Motorola, HP, HTC, etc.) that it's extremely difficult as a developer to foresee potential issues with all products which have different versions of the OS AND may have different limitations imposed by the manufacturer of the device. However the ONE common thing across them all [Androids], is that it's dead easy to root the device IF it was necessary and you don't have to worry about the company you bought it from [Ahem, Apple] trying to shut it down because they want to control what you rightfully purchased from them and own.

I have yet to experience ONE app that has flat out not worked on Android btw. I'm guessing you haven't either because it sounds like you haven't even tried the platform other than possibly a walk into a store @johnjohndufour
2015-1-17
Use props
the angus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44764 ft
Australia

rwt0227 Posted at 2015-1-18 05:45
The kindle fire??  BWAHAHA!  They probably don't support it because it's a tablet Amazon locked do ...

I use IOS devices and have 2 ipads i also am just about to pick up my new inspire but am a bit hesitant now. HOWEVER, am i right in saying that i can use ANY android tablet in the ipads place? If i am correct i'm starting to think that its a good idea as the Android tablets i've looked at start from about $100AUD, this is MUCH cheaper than ipad and i like the idea of having a less valuable screen that supplies the same functionality if not more.
Any responses? Am i correct?
2015-1-17
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-1-18 04:44
Oh please, I don't want to hear how this is Apple's Fault.  DJI knows how the APP store works, the ...

So, if DJI built this to "Apple's specs" you'd basically have a bigger phantom... Same limited video link (over wifi), same limited range. If they built it without video over Lightning you'd have no lightbridge either.

Sure. Do that DJI, and give the Apple users a more limited drone than android users. Watch the Apple users scream at DJI for that too.... Sheesh...

It's very entertaining to see people trying to place blame completely on DJI, absolving Apple of any blame... Both are to blame here, and DJI only because they should have warned people about the possible apple issue.

I thought this was a forum for drone fans, not Apple fans. I say this as a longtime Apple customer. I only use their stuff because I have to. It's usually overpriced. if I want to see people illogically defending Apple, I'll go to Appleinsider.com, thanks...
...typed on an iPad air...
2015-1-17
Use props
AshInspire1
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Am I right in saying people who have there inspires and an iPad mini 2 like myself with the app installed just before they pulled it can use the craft as normal. It's only for the new customers. They now need to likely buy a Samsung
2015-1-17
Use props
johnjohndufour
lvl.1

United States

rwt I've probably owned more android handsets than you my friend!  By allowing their software to cross platform among all the different handset makers Google created their own issue with software and app compatibility and stability.  Ill leave it at that and say I shouldn't have opened up this thread to OS bashing as I did so I'll let the thread return to its original topic!  Different strokes for different folks as they say!
2015-1-17
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

johnjohndufour@ Posted at 2015-1-18 11:44
rwt I've probably owned more android handsets than you my friend!  By allowing their software to cro ...

That's like saying, "by allowing boats to float on water, boat makers have created their own issue with reliability and safety"....

The entire purpose of android from the beginning was to run on as many different handsets as possible.

Really one of the biggest points of open source as well.
2015-1-18
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

We are getting off the point here. We need DJI to categorically state their position regarding support for IOS.
2015-1-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules