Buy this in lieu of individual nd screw on filters?
915 6 2016-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
craig.davis.850
lvl.2

United States

http://www.phantomfilters.bigcartel.com/products.

Would u buy this over individual screw on filters? Need these horribly bad for video. Not that big a deal with stills
2016-4-24
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If it were me then I might think about saving up a bit longer. You have a nice 4k camera, a lens system that is an improvement over the P3. Why spoil the image with cheap optics. It's entirely your choice of course and I am no expert on the camera used on the P4, you could try them and be delighted. But from my other hobby of Astronomy imaging the better path is usually to get the best you can afford. Each time you changed them there would be finger prints on the surfaces.

2016-4-24
Use props
craig.davis.850
lvl.2

United States

Great point. I appreciate the response . I think I'm for sure getting dji nd16. I've read from people that the polarized one is a must but the nd4 is fairly useless. Thoughts? Is nd8 necessary?
2016-4-24
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Depending on the lighting conditions: bright sun really needs an ND16, on overcast days or late afternoon an ND8 is enough. I use only these. You want the shutter speed to  be about double the frame rate (25 fps => 1/50 sec exposure). When shooting photos instead of video don't forget to remove the filter. As for a polarized filter, you've got a fairly wide-angle lens; the polarization varies across that field, so personally not sure that its so useful in this case.
2016-4-25
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

Croatia

Those filters are nice. Especially as they are stackable.

But, they need to be handled very carefully. It's very easy to get fingerprints on them and they are plastic so more susceptible to scratches than glass filters.

@johnsr 's explanation is spot on regarding ND filter use.

If you want to get a bit more info about making video with your Phantom (ND filters, frame rates and settings) we have an article about that; Making better video with your DJI Phantom 4 / 3 / Inspire
2016-4-25
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

craig.davis.850 Posted at 2016-4-25 00:34
Great point. I appreciate the response . I think I'm for sure getting dji nd16. I've read from peopl ...

Hey Craig,

The ND8 and ND16 are probably the most common filters to get your shutter double the frame rate. We use ND32 and even ND64 sometimes over snow. CP's are good for filming over water, the only problem is they are the equivalent of ND4. So in bright scenes they don't reduce shutter enough, if you shoot with a CP try an ND8/PL or ND16/PL.
Hope that helps!

Jeff
2016-4-26
Use props
macondo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11201 ft

United States

craig.davis.850 Posted at 2016-4-24 23:34
Great point. I appreciate the response . I think I'm for sure getting dji nd16. I've read from people that the polarized one is a must but the nd4 is fairly useless. Thoughts? Is nd8 necessary?

Have you tried a combination of both? Best results are achieved using a ND/POL combo, a solution only possible when using "sanwiched" gel filters
2017-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules