BROKEN SMA CONNECTOR
3716 18 2015-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ndaughtrywork
New

United States

Hey guys,

I was attempting and antenna mod on my controller and without knowing the SMA just cracks right off the board...

Are there any places that sell replacement boards, instead of buying a new controller?

Thanks in advance,

CircuitBoard.jpg
2015-1-16
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You would need to check around but I'm fairly sure I've seen someone who found just the connector part and soldered it on and it worked.  If I find the thread I'll let you know.  I can't remember off-hand where I read it
2015-1-16
Use props
ndaughtrywork
New

United States

Thank you! I can't seem to find the piece.
2015-1-16
Use props
compbowhunt
lvl.2

United States

ndaughtrywork@g Posted at 2015-1-17 02:36
Thank you! I can't seem to find the piece.

Which Transmitter is it the 2.4GHz or the 5.8GHz model? Is it the new style with tilt wheel or the old one with the tilt lever?  The reason I ask is because I have a 2.4GHz older style one with the tilt lever that I would be willing to sell you for $20.00 shipped if your interested but without know which one you have I would just be wasting your time.  I upgraded mine to the new 2.4GHz with the tilt wheel and rechargeable battery so the other one is just sitting around anyway.
2015-1-16
Use props
BuddhaBelly
lvl.2

United States

This probably dates back to taking apart my toys as a child but I'm guilty of fiddling around on the insides myself (thinking about modifying the yaw control)  Does anybody know the function of that push button to the right of the buzzer?
2015-1-16
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

I just ordered one of these for another project and it should work to repair yours too if you can solder.

My Hanger - Check Out My http://www.youtube.com/humboldt710 Channel
Phantom 2w/H3-3D gimbal & GoPro Hero3+, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, iOSDMini, Large Skids
Phantom 2 w/600tvl, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, V2ESC's, MultiStar 2212 Motors, iOSD Mini, Custom Wood Skids &Paint
Lumenier QAV250 Carbon on 4S, Cobra 2204/1960Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, Aero Guard, CF Camera Mount, CC3D, FrSkyD4R-II, Mobius
Hubsan X4 Stock mini racer, Hubsan X4107DNon FPV(now) racer project, Taranis X9D w/external Antenna &2200mah lipo, Dominator V2's w/goggle mod
2015-1-16
Use props
damon.moberly
lvl.1

United States

oddly enough.. i did the exact same thing last night. was trying to remove the white epoxy or whatever the stuff is that holds the sma connector onto the board and i cut the connector clean off the board and then lost the dang thing before i knew what was happening.
i should have known better and been using a sharp razor blade rather than a knife anyway.

i called a hobby shop that sells phantoms and they had an old radio that had a broken S2 switch...always an option to try and find a busted rc and part it out.. but also just buying additional rma connectors and soldering back on seems a heck of a lot cheaper.
good luck
2015-1-16
Use props
damon.moberly
lvl.1

United States

the guy at Atlanta Hobby told me that DJI does not sell that replacement board.. i would imagine that we can't be the first people to make this mistake.. I'm a bit surprised you can't buy a whole new replacement board.
2015-1-16
Use props
ndaughtrywork
New

United States

Yea I called like 10 places and they said they don't sell a replacement part and just to buy a new controller...
2015-1-19
Use props
ndaughtrywork
New

United States

Humboldt710 Posted at 2015-1-17 13:00
I just ordered one of these for another project and it should work to repair yours too if you can so ...

THESE ARE EXACTLY WHAT I NEED!
2015-1-19
Use props
damon.moberly.e
lvl.1

United States

ndaughtrywork@g Posted at 2015-1-20 05:46
Yea I called like 10 places and they said they don't sell a replacement part and just to buy a new c ...

daughtry...i purchased an extra controller.. but the one that i cut the sma connector off of, I'm going to repair.. i got on ebay and ordered 10 of those tiny connectors..i have a soldering iron and will attempt to resolder a new one on to the board.. then i'll have two controllers that work. hopefully. one will be stock and the other will have the stronger antenna mod attached..
2015-1-19
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

damon.moberly.e Posted at 2015-1-20 11:17
daughtry...i purchased an extra controller.. but the one that i cut the sma connector off of, I'm  ...

Awesome! Cheers to DIY stuff. That is what the RC hobby is all about!
2015-1-19
Use props
damon.moberly.e
lvl.1

United States

Humboldt710 Posted at 2015-1-20 12:18
Awesome! Cheers to DIY stuff. That is what the RC hobby is all about!

I'm hoping that i can make it work.. i shaved that connector off the board so fast i barely even knew i had done it...
2015-1-19
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

Here is the one I repaired on my Phantom 2 RX. It wasn't that difficult.

U.FL repair.jpg
2015-1-21
Use props
Damon Moberly
lvl.1

United States

Humboldt710 Posted at 2015-1-22 10:59
Here is the one I repaired on my Phantom 2 RX. It wasn't that difficult.

humbolt...so just place the new connector on the little metal spot where it was sitting and melt some new solder on it?
2015-1-21
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

Damon Moberly Posted at 2015-1-22 11:16
humbolt...so just place the new connector on the little metal spot where it was sitting and melt s ...

There are two ground traces on the sides, then there is a little one in the middle for the center. You can scrape a little off of the top off the board to expose some copper if the ground trace has pulled up.
2015-1-21
Use props
go4two
lvl.2

United States

I did the TX mod last night and scraped off the SMA plug as well.  Did any of you have luck soldering on a new SMA connector?  I knew it wouldn't be as easy as they make it out to be.  Grrrrr.....anyone have a cheap controller for sale?
2015-4-27
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

My issue was similar except the little nipple stayed on the board and the outside ring popped off with the base...found the base/ring on the floor, stuffed it into the u.fl cable, placed it over the nipple and gobbled it with some hot glue..and holy smoke it works!....I flown it about 10 times and managed 6k' on one flight....
But fix is not permanent as I will redo with a new connector and in the meantime found a near new NPVT581 with RE700 for $110.00 just in case...
Thanks for posting the link...
2015-4-27
Use props
go4two
lvl.2

United States

That is fairly close to my situation North.  The nipple is still there, but the ring is off.  I might try that and see if it will work for me as well.  The glue is easy to remove in the future with simple rubbing alcohol.  It will take off the glue with ease in case you didn't know.
2015-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules