3029 21 2016-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Morrisson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

Am I alone in wanting Cinelight for Windows?

Single SelectVote, Total 28 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

42.86% (12)
53.57% (15)
3.57% (1)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2016-4-25
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone been successful using the X5R on a PC and importing it in to Adobe Premiere or Avid Media Composer? I'm running Media Composer 7.
2016-4-27
Use props
GaijinGeoff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 694334 ft
Isle of Man

Morrisson Posted at 2016-4-27 14:53
Has anyone been successful using the X5R on a PC and importing it in to Adobe Premiere or Avid Media ...

X5R files not yet natively supported in Premiere Pro. Currently I'm using DaVinci Resolve to grade and transcode to DNxHR. Very surprised it's so Mac focussed, but hoping DJI will reiterate the Windows Exporter tool, to add some of the functionality afforded to our Apple cousins.
2016-4-28
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaijinGeoff Posted at 2016-4-28 14:02
X5R files not yet natively supported in Premiere Pro. Currently I'm using DaVinci Resolve to grade ...

Hmmm...ok. It's a bit strange, but there's probably a reason for it. Hopefully they come around soon!
2016-4-28
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaijinGeoff Posted at 2016-4-28 14:02
X5R files not yet natively supported in Premiere Pro. Currently I'm using DaVinci Resolve to grade ...

How long can you record shooting RAW? I'm assuming about 10 or 15 minutes in 4K? Have you tried HD RAW?

Best,
Gavin

2016-5-1
Use props
GaijinGeoff
lvl.2
Isle of Man

Morrisson Posted at 2016-5-2 04:28
How long can you record shooting RAW? I'm assuming about 10 or 15 minutes in 4K? Have you tried HD ...

Hey Gavin,

Haven't reached the limit yet, as I normally record only the shot I want. Don't free-fly whilst recording. However, based on a few tests, I estimate getting close to 30mins from the 512 SSD, maybe a little more. This would be on par with expectation having used the same size SSD shooting 4K RAW using the Black Magic Production Camera. I'll update you on the limit, but so far one drive has been more than enough to satisfy each mission - a relief considering their cost. Transfer times are pretty long, so keep that in mind if you were to do your DIT in the field.

Haven't tried HD yet, too busy drooling over the 4K. Have to say, I've waited since last year for the X5R. It's exceeded my (already high) expectations.
2016-5-2
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaijinGeoff Posted at 2016-5-2 13:02
Hey Gavin,

Haven't reached the limit yet, as I normally record only the shot I want. Don't free-fl ...

Hey! Wow...that's GREAT to hear. I had a lot of attention on it as RAW can eat through drives like crazy.

It sounds like it will suit me as well as I shoot the same way - record the shot, not the flight.

So the workflow is:

1) Plug the hard drive in to your computer
2) Dump the files using the DJI exporter tool while at the same time converting them to a format  your editing program can take.

Where do you do your RAW grade? In Premiere? Are you able to do a batch process like in Camera Raw?
2016-5-3
Use props
GaijinGeoff
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Morrisson Posted at 2016-5-3 16:15
Hey! Wow...that's GREAT to hear. I had a lot of attention on it as RAW can eat through drives like ...

The Exporter tool will just transfer the DNG files to your drive. I then use Resolve (free) to grade, exporting to Avid DNxHR 444. Then use Lumetri in Premiere, or Speed Grade for any final tweaks.

I've also used Adobe Bridge to select a specific shot, open the RAW sequence and grade using Adobe Camera Raw (as I'm used to this tool in PS). Save that and open in DNG sequence in After Effects (which does natively support it). Then you can export to your chosen format in full 4k 4096x2160 (not limited by the UHD export cap on Resolve free version).

Simpy adding AdobeDNG conversion to the Windows Exporter tool would make me very happy. So the files are natively supported in Prem/SpG. Don't need Cinelight, just that one little thing. Sure it'll happen eventually. Same thing was true in the early Black Magic 4K days.

2016-5-3
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaijinGeoff Posted at 2016-5-3 18:36
The Exporter tool will just transfer the DNG files to your drive. I then use Resolve (free) to gra ...

Oh, wow.

I get it. That's not such a bad workflow...but yea, it makes way more sense to be able to import the files directly in to Premiere. I really want to find out about Avid!

Thanks for all this data. It seems that there is much less documentation of the X5R especially for a professional workflow.

best,
Gavin
2016-5-6
Use props
GaijinGeoff
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Morrisson Posted at 2016-5-6 15:19
Oh, wow.

I get it. That's not such a bad workflow...but yea, it makes way more sense to be able  ...

At this point, there's very little on the PC X5R work flow. Ian Cresswell's excellent "West in Winter" (on this forum and YT) is very useful if you want to know about the Mac workflow.

But the camera is new and some of the best advice often comes from the community that supports it. So pick one up, get flying, crack open Avid and let me know how that goes ;-)
2016-5-6
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaijinGeoff Posted at 2016-5-6 14:57
At this point, there's very little on the PC X5R work flow. Ian Cresswell's excellent "West in Win ...

Yea, I've noticed that! Ok, well here's my final biting question before purchasing - does it also record regular HD files as a low-res so that I can see the shots before rendering everything out?
2016-5-11
Use props
GaijinGeoff
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Morrisson Posted at 2016-5-11 20:24
Yea, I've noticed that! Ok, well here's my final biting question before purchasing - does it also  ...

Yes, it records much smaller and more manageable .mov files, same as you'd get from the standard X5, to the SD card. I've been using those to make my draft edit, then matching frame numbers and reconnecting to the RAW when finishing and exporting.

You can also record video cache files directly in the DJI GO app, so you can preview your shots on location.
2016-5-11
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaijinGeoff Posted at 2016-5-11 20:05
Yes, it records much smaller and more manageable .mov files, same as you'd get from the standard X ...

That's great news.

And what lenses are you using? I've noticed that the 45mm (the one I'm MOST interested in) says stills only. Is that just a way for them to say "it doesn't balance all the time so don't depend on it"?

I've also seen videos that people have done with the 45mm and it looks GREAT. Any experience?
2016-5-12
Use props
GaijinGeoff
lvl.2
Canada

Morrisson Posted at 2016-5-12 09:34
That's great news.

And what lenses are you using? I've noticed that the 45mm (the one I'm MOST i ...

Haven't used the 45, got the 12 and 25, which are excellent. But like you, I've seen a number of videos using this lens and it looks solid. Potentially some issues to bear in mind, but I'd certainly give it a shot (no pun intended).
2016-5-12
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaijinGeoff Posted at 2016-5-12 21:13
Haven't used the 45, got the 12 and 25, which are excellent. But like you, I've seen a number of v ...

Ok, that's great to hear. After shooting A LOT with the X3, I think I'm going to start with the 45 and a 12. Hopefully will be ordering here shortly...
2016-5-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

GaijinGeoff Posted at 2016-4-29 02:02

Currently, I notice that the color on the Da Vinci Resolve preview pane and the output ProRes file don't match fully. The ProRes file output is desaturated relative to the preview. How do you work around this?
2016-6-9
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

Morrisson Posted at 2016-5-12 21:34
That's great news.

And what lenses are you using? I've noticed that the 45mm (the one I'm MOST i ...

Its strongly recommended that the 45 only be used for stills. Some good results with some flyers but it would have to be under ideal conditions
2016-6-9
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-6-9 04:02
Its strongly recommended that the 45 only be used for stills. Some good results with some flyers b ...

That makes sense. What lenses are you shooting on? I just ordered my X5R yesterday with the stock lens. I want to get a good kit!
2016-6-9
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

Morrisson Posted at 2016-6-10 01:56
That makes sense. What lenses are you shooting on? I just ordered my X5R yesterday with the stock  ...

I use the Oly 12mm and the stock 15mm. Thinking of getting a 25mm for some shots. I shoot mainly video. I think the 45 is good for tele stills. Of course one can fly closer.... that's the whole deal about an aerial camera....
2016-6-9
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-6-9 21:43
I use the Oly 12mm and the stock 15mm. Thinking of getting a 25mm for some shots. I shoot mainly v ...

I got the stock 15mm with mine as well. I will definitely be getting the 25mm and as for longer focal lengths, it creates a different look. Flying closer with a 15mm does not look the same as a 45mm. A longer focal length generally has a shallower depth of field and a flatter picture i.e., the background is flattened in to the foreground! It's a much more "cinematic" look! I've seen lots of people make crazy balancing tricks to use the 45mm for video and I think I will be going down that unsupported road.

Best,
Gavin
2016-6-10
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

Morrisson Posted at 2016-6-11 08:17
I got the stock 15mm with mine as well. I will definitely be getting the 25mm and as for longer fo ...

I got the 45. Its OK for video if the object is moving and you are tracking it. If its dead still, you'll see micro vibrations, even after prop balancing etc. And yes, the flat look is lovely!
2016-6-23
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-6-23 04:53
I got the 45. Its OK for video if the object is moving and you are tracking it. If its dead still, ...

Hmmm...that's interesting to hear. That's great you got one! I'm very excited to get mine...I haven't ordered it yet, but hopefully soon.
2016-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules