How to Fix the DJI Phantom 4 Altitude Drops!
3332 13 2016-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ItsMarky
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

I've just created another quick tutorial that might solve your problems regarding the Phantom 4 loosing altitude whilst flying. As always, comments/ questions are welcome.

Happy Flying!

2016-4-25
Use props
juliovincentyjr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 829908 ft

Great tips. I am gong to look into your suggestion. I just noticed mine dropping yesterday. I'm think it has to do with the area, and or wind conditions. It was about 12 mph winds and i was over grass. Today I didn't experience the the drop. I was over concrete and the winds was only 5 mph. Thanks for sharing.  
2016-4-25
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

juliovincentyjr Posted at 2016-4-26 06:17
Great tips. I am gong to look into your suggestion. I just noticed mine dropping yesterday. I'm thin ...

Please calibrate both of the IMU and vision sensing system. Make sure then sensors are clean.
2016-4-25
Use props
ItsMarky
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-26 07:07
Please calibrate both of the IMU and vision sensing system. Make sure then sensors are clean.

Paladin, Unfortunately this still remains an issue for many users, even after calibrating and cleaning. I am aware that DJI-Tim has said that you are working on a fix by analyzing users flight logs. Can you confirm that you are still working on this?
2016-4-26
Use props
mavs88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ItsMarky Posted at 2016-4-26 13:19
Paladin, Unfortunately this still remains an issue for many users, even after calibrating and clea ...

well before I had a Phantom 3 Pro which also dropped a few (!) meters when stopped in the air... That happened after a firmware update (I do not remember which, but I think about the 2nd update after the Phantom 3 Pro was released). But I also know and remember very well that after a NEXT firmware update my Phantom 3 Pro was as stable as it could be.
I sincerely do hope that DJI is going to fix this issue. I cannot believe they produce and sell NEW Phantoms 4 UNCALIBRATED and with dust or any other particles in the lenses or other sensors.
If this is true I am afraid DJI needs to talk to their QUALITY CONTROL...
a 4-5 meters drop could easily make the drone end up in a tree....
DJI... do your utmost!

Kindest regards,

Max V. (PhantomMax)
2016-4-26
Use props
ItsMarky
lvl.2

United Kingdom

mavs88@home.nl Posted at 2016-4-26 14:16
well before I had a Phantom 3 Pro which also dropped a few (!) meters when stopped in the air... T ...

Hi Max,

I am glad you've commented! I am pretty sure that DJI are aware of this now and (hope) they are working on a fix of some sort. I don't think my video would be getting any views if nobody else had this issue, there is clearly an issue and DJI need to accept this, not just reply asking us to calibrate our IMU's or clean our aircraft. anyway, thanks for the comment, I really do hope DJI implement a fix soon.

Happy Flying!

Mark
2016-4-26
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

ItsMarky Posted at 2016-4-26 19:19
Paladin, Unfortunately this still remains an issue for many users, even after calibrating and clea ...

Calibration usually helps. If the drone still drops altitude after the IMU and sensing system calibration, feel free to upload the DAT files to dropbox and post the public link here. I'll try to pass them to our R&D guys.
2016-4-26
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 504692 ft
  • >>>
United States

listen, it's really a huge problem.. I am a cinematographer and I use my P4 to film buildings, trees, nature. And I get great effects by closely flying above objects.. so what does it mean? Can it just drop down altitude and hit a building? Hey DJI, will you cover it under warranty? It's obvious that this is your problem.
2016-5-5
Use props
sguisset
lvl.2
Flight distance : 114177 ft
France

thank you for your post. i had the same problem and i desactivated the obstacle sensing system for protection etc... but it's not very much better.
I've tried the phantom 4 yesterday fot the first time, was a windy day... i will try the calibration. thk you
2016-5-7
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>

ISA AYDIN Posted at 2016-5-6 11:35
listen, it's really a huge problem.. I am a cinematographer and I use my P4 to film buildings, trees ...

"Hey DJI, will you cover it under warranty?"

Having just spent $214 in repair cost, I can tell you they will not cover it under warranty.   That said at least they were  fast getting it back to me and from a quick test it seems they did solve the altitude drop problem while in for repairs.  It does now have to go through about a minute warm up before ready to fly.
2016-5-7
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
  • >>>

I can confirm that my P4 no longer has the dropsies!      Not sure what they did while in for repair but I'm sure glad they did it.  Tested at various altitudes from 4' to 200'.    Using DJI GO  and Litchi.    Stopping a waypoint mission in Litchi was what got me last time.   Do it now and it just stops and stays.   
2016-5-7
Use props
juliovincentyjr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 829908 ft

EdM Posted at 2016-5-8 09:55
I can confirm that my P4 no longer has the dropsies!      Not sure what they did while in for repair ...

Did you send it for the drops or was ther another issues you had?
2016-5-9
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
  • >>>

juliovincentyjr Posted at 2016-5-10 09:08
Did you send it for the drops or was ther another issues you had?

I sent it because when I stopped a Litchi mission (because I had mistakenly set my altitude setting wrong on a waypoint) when it was going to hit a  tree, it dropped enough to go into the top of another one.   Needed a new shell and landing gear.   Needed gimbal repairs.   

And yes, I was well aware that mine had a case of the drops before this happened.  I did not react fast enough on the sticks to save it.
2016-5-9
Use props
lajos.karoliny
New

United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

I also bought a brand new P4. I am very disappointed. When i am flyin forward and then release the throttle, the P4 stops, but always climbs 4-5 meters up, depend on its speed. Then it drops the altitude to the same as before.

Do you experience also this "feature" ?

Thank in advance,

regards,
Lajos
2016-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules