Carbon fiber or plastic props?
2705 22 2016-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vinojaya6
lvl.2

Indonesia

Carbon fiber or plastic props? Which one better?
2016-4-26
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I still fly with the set of props that came with my P3P. They work great, don't feel the need to change.....well, unless I can get better gas mileage from the black fancy ones!
2016-4-26
Use props
JustGoThere
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41778 ft
United States

They both fly the same (same pitch, chord, etc)

I sorta prefer the CF ones for the "bling" factor...
2016-4-26
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

I flew for the first time the other day with carbon props. It seemed to fly very different from previous flights.
It was just after the latest update and without prop gaurds on.
Maybe it had more to do with no prop guards.
2016-4-26
Use props
dieselwind
lvl.2

United States

Hawks100 Posted at 2016-4-26 17:30
I flew for the first time the other day with carbon props. It seemed to fly very different from prev ...

Do you notice any major reduction in flight time with the prop guards?  I have a set of quick disconnects coming today from amazon...and some of those copper range extenders.
2016-4-26
Use props
chrgnu
lvl.2

I only noticed my P3A was louder with the carbon fiber props.  
2016-4-26
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Agree with mjlstudios. Presently I am at about 170 flights on the same DJI plastic props (changed all four after a tree encounter in early September). The craft is stable and flies well.
2016-4-26
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I have the quick release prop guards that I have used from day one.
I don't time my flights. I just enjoy the flying experience,film what I set out to film and when I hear the first battery low warning, I head back. I set it at 25% an critical warning at 15%, I have always landed before the second alarm.
I'm sure that the prop guards do reduce flight time slightly.
The carbon props do seem more responsive tho
2016-4-27
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft

Just stick with the OE DJI props and dye or paint them if you want color. I've used the CF props for 6 months and really do not see or hear any advantage.
If you hit something, you should really replace either one (IMO).
2016-4-27
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

I have been really tempted lately to buy the Carbon Fiber white with gold tips, mainly because of the "Bling" factor as someone put it ^^ But I also read that they are supposed to make the bird more stable.
2016-4-27
Use props
evsjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1995479 ft
United States

I will keep the plastic ones, if you bump into something they will break instead of messing up a motor. Carbon fiber props have no give to them.  But that is only my thoughts.
2016-4-27
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

evsjas Posted at 2016-4-28 07:39
I will keep the plastic ones, if you bump into something they will break instead of messing up a mot ...

Interesting. This makes sense.
2016-4-27
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The carbon props will break if you clip something with the.props.
The plastic props have more flex in them than the carbon.
2016-4-27
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Although some owners that there may be some vague improvements in performance using the DJI  CF reinforced props, proper testing hasn't shown any measurable improvement
2016-4-28
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

I have debated this myself for a while.

I'm sticking with the plastic props.

Carbon Fiber props are more expensive. That's a bit of a deciding factor. But the main one is its also more brittle. If it hits a branch or scrapes something, or even if forces from generating thrust becomes too large, or from fatigue over extended use with cyclcical forces, there could be cracks formed in the propeller. And once a crack is initiated in the props made of a brittle material, it is a matter of time before the crack propagates and failure becomes imminent.

I think the black props will look way better though. Unfortunately I don't want to risk losing a prop in the sky all of a sudden. So I will probably stick with flexible plastic props made with plastics with a lot larger elastic limit.
2016-4-28
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

I bought some carbon fibre props a while back.  I've been using them regularly & see absolutely no benefit to having them.  I wish I'd saved my money for something useful, like beer.
2016-4-28
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
United Kingdom

You will notice a difference to your flying then...{:3_48:}
2016-4-28
Use props
andrewnahmias
New

United States

I have used both. I broke one of my carbon fiber props today and put on the set of factory plastic props. I liked the way it flew with the plastic props over the carbon fiber.
2016-4-28
Use props
DFWdude4DJI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1505531 ft
  • >>>
United States

It also depends on what grade of CF props you use. There various brands out there and many of them are cheap which, to me, tells me that they don't balance them well enough. I purchased T-motor CF props for my Inspire Pro and they arrived perfectly balanced. The advantage of CF props vary though. If you're using really good CF props like the T-motor props (they taper off like a knife and are a little sharp) and a bird flies into your props, usually the bird would go (chop, chop). But if you crash or hit something hard with your CF props, you may blow a motor or two.
2016-4-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

I used to fly with carbon fiber props with the old Phantoms, with the P3 and P4, Inspire and the great quality of the props I see no reason to not use anything but stock props.
2016-4-29
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Has been debated quite a bit here.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-44423-1-1.html

http://forum.dji.com/thread-41913-1-1.html
2016-4-29
Use props
betoleal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 550472 ft
United States

I bought the CF props and never noticed any difference.

As Ken said, maybe we can see difference only with older Phantoms.
2016-4-29
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I got them too, did not try them yet, but I also have a feeling it was a waste of perfectly good $34.... oh well....
2016-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules