Traveling on Plane With the Inspire 1
32890 110 2015-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rlomeli
New

United States

lanceK Posted at 2015-4-3 02:17
I really like the small Inspire 1 Case and the light nature of it. I purchased a cheap hard shell ro ...

I am assuming that based on the size you have it as a carry-on.
2015-4-3
Use props
lanceK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1288730 ft
United States

rlomeli Posted at 2015-4-4 00:12
I am assuming that based on the size you have it as a carry-on.

no i check it. the size with the protective outer case is too large.
2015-4-3
Use props
buchanan0505
lvl.2

United States

I really like the small Inspire 1 Case and the light nature of it. I purchased a cheap hard shell ro ...

Lance, I assume you purchased the 28" shell? @4" wouldn't work? How much foam padding did you have to use? Thanks!
2015-4-13
Use props
electricshadow
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1347192 ft
United States

Hey everyone, lot of great info in this thread already.  I'm traveling internationally on Monday with the inspire.  I bought an HPRC 2730 hard case  http://amzn.com/B00TXCBTQ0

I've looked at the TSA rules and I think I'm understanding correctly -- One battery can be in the checked bag as long as the battery is in the unit.  Is this correct?  I have 2 TB48s and 4 TB47s.  Was thinking of putting one of the 48s in the bird and carrying everything else on in plastic labeled bags.  Thoughts?
2015-4-17
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

electricshadow Posted at 2015-4-18 09:43
Hey everyone, lot of great info in this thread already.  I'm traveling internationally on Monday wit ...

No battery can be check-in! All batteries must be with you inside the cabin on your carry on. You are allowed 2 TB48 and as many TB47. Super dangerous if you check the batteries with your new case. The pressure changes and if the battery chatches Fire it would be harder to extinguish the fire. By the way do not leave any batteries inside the bird! Read on the top of this thread and you will find an article of an inspire 1 that cought on fire due to the fact that the battery was full and inside the bird.
2015-4-17
Use props
electricshadow
lvl.2
United States

joekeantang, I'm not sure if you read the article carefully but the fire happened while the plane was on the ground, not in the air, and it happened in the cabin with normalized pressure and not in the luggage lock.  So saying that the pressure caused the fire doesn't make sense.  The bird was almost definitely turned on inside the case and overheated.  If the battery is fully discharged before being checked it really should not be a problem, and FAA rules clearly state that you can check in as long as installed in the device. http://www.faa.gov/about/office_ ... s_and_batteries.pdf

The other thing I don't see anyone talking about -- the remote controllers.  Any suggestion about whether or not to carry these on too?
2015-4-18
Use props
igraphyx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 78737 ft
United States

rlomeli Posted at 2015-4-1 23:32
Anyone that can share your experience flying with American Airlines domestic in USA or international ...

I flew with American Airlines last weekend from Miami to Kingston, Jamaica and they said that the case was too big for carry-on. This happened at the entrance to the TSA check point line (the agent who checks boarding passes to let passengers in the line glanced at the case and immediately said no, and then called over an AA agent to have me place it in the sizer. I then had to check in the case (but after I paid the bag wrapping guys do that plastic safety wrapping all over it. It helped too!

In case anybody is curious, yes I had all contents in the case including 2 TB-48 and 1 TB-47 in the case when checked in.

Conclusion: Don't go to the airport "hoping" you'll get through, because even if you managed to get by TSA, you still might get intercepted right at the airplane door where they'll tell you they need to take it down to the cargo-hold of the plane and then you won't have the chance to properly protect it first. Always plan to check it in and protect it either by placing the case inside another standard suitcase (so the inspire's case doesnt take the direct hit), or by buying the over-priced Go-Professional case.
2015-4-20
Use props
JoeRockhead
lvl.1
Flight distance : 912877 ft
  • >>>
United States

After recently crashing my Inspire 1, I no longer travel with fully charged batteries.  My recent crash resulted in my battery catching fire. The fire was very aggressive and very hot.  This was an eye opener for me about the dangers of LIPO batteries.  My suggestion is to follow the DJI and TSA recommendations.  1- Never check your LIPO batteries on a plane.  2- Do not travel with fully charged LIPO batteries.  Please share this info with our fellow pilots.

Be safe and happy flying
2015-4-20
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

electricshadow Posted at 2015-4-18 22:00
joekeantang, I'm not sure if you read the article carefully but the fire happened while the plane wa ...

I know that the plane had landed when this happen! but imagine if that same inspire 1 with the full batteries and the extra batteries where not in the cabin?!!! it's easier to extinguish a fire in the cabin than on the belly of the plane, it would had been a different scenario! can't imagine how dangerous and what damage it would had cause! you ask for advice and that was my advice!!! they do say not to check in lipo batteries! you should youtube lipo batteries on fire then maybe you can get a glimpse at how dangerous they are when they are on fire! I get it you might have a fancy case to carry the inspire 1 and the extra batteries but that case won't stop a fire from spreading something where to happen to those batteries. just think that you are putting people's life in danger! Proper care for lipo batteries shouldn't be taken lightly.!!!   https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tatq8KcaGY0  imagine that x how many batteries you owe. I came from Puerto Rico like a month a go. on my way to Puerto Rico I was force to check by case, I took all my batteries out of the case and put them on my backpack. on my way back home I was able to take the case with me as a carry-on. on both cases  All of my 7 batties where below 12%.  if you read the article the battery was inside the Inspire1 when this happen.....

2015-4-20
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

JoeRockhead Posted at 2015-4-21 02:14
After recently crashing my Inspire 1, I no longer travel with fully charged batteries.  My recent cr ...

I agree with you! i have to come up with some way to safely store my batteries and find a safe place to charge them. not to long ago someone had a thread about how the garage was on fire because of the inspire 1 battery, I know that it was wrong that he left the battery on the charger, but it doesn't change the fact that the  Lipo battery can cause so much damage!
2015-4-20
Use props
JoeRockhead
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

joekeantang@gma Posted at 2015-4-21 04:33
I agree with you! i have to come up with some way to safely storage my batteries and find a safe p ...

Because my recent crash and fire rattled me a bit, I'm probably overdoing the precautions.  I've ordered LIPO bags, and a fireproof safe. I welcome other suggestions.  Hopefully my new I1 will last a lot longer than the prior one.
2015-4-20
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

JoeRockhead Posted at 2015-4-21 09:59
Because my recent crash and fire rattled me a bit, I'm probably overdoing the precautions.  I've o ...

So Dji didn't give you any warrenty on the product? What cause the crash?
2015-4-20
Use props
lanceK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1288730 ft
United States

To update you all I flew with my Inspire 1 stock case placed inside this $79 shell case with rollers.  I flew to Kauai, Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Greenland without any problems. I believe it is the 28 inch model.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/iFly-C ... Luggage-20/28997853

2015-4-21
Use props
JoeRockhead
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

joekeantang@gma Posted at 2015-4-21 15:25
So Dji didn't give you any warrenty on the product? What cause the crash?

The crash was my fault.  Was trying to fly to close to trees.  I salvaged some parts, so I might be able to assemble a 2nd Inspire down the road.
2015-4-21
Use props
electricshadow
lvl.2
United States

joekeantang@gma Posted at 2015-4-21 04:27
I know that the plane had landed when this happen! but imagine if that same inspire 1 with the full ...

Joe, I appreciate the advice, I am not sure why you are getting so mad or taking it personally.  In your first response you specifically mentioned pressure changes as a reason not to check the batteries, not that the fire was extremely intense and hot.  I agree, the large fire that can come from the batteries definitely is a reason to be afraid of checking batteries, not the low pressure.  That's all I was saying.  The danger comes from the inspire accidentally turning on and over heating.  Simply consider that when you order new batteries they ship them to you on an airplane.  I have placed 3 orders for batteries and every time they ship FedEx or UPS airplane, arrive in no special packaging and have over 50% battery charge.

In any case, I flew with all my batteries as carry on.  The HPRC case held up well for travel.  Thanks all for your advice.
2015-4-26
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

electricshadow Posted at 2015-4-27 07:28
Joe, I appreciate the advice, I am not sure why you are getting so mad or taking it personally.  I ...
For whatever a third-party observation is worth - I wasn't reading Joe's reply to you as angry - just impassioned.
I have placed 3 orders for batteries and every time they ship FedEx or UPS airplane, arrive in no special packaging and have over 50% battery charge.
That's amazing.  Those of us who first ordered the 48's had to wait a long time because they could not be air shipped, so they came over by boat and then had to be ground shipped domestically.  If someone is air-shipping them they're violating federal air regulations and could have to pay some pretty hefty fines.  My guess is that something didn't get properly declared.
2015-4-26
Use props
jhunter007
New

Uruguay

I just got done reading everyone's posts.  Thanks for all the info and especially about the LiPos.  I recently flew internationally and didn't think about them and checked them all (last time for that).  I would definitely recommend getting a GoProfesional case - either Travel Mode or Landing Mode.  Too expensive?  Think about what you have invested in your Inspire!  Too large?  Think about all those accessories...  I flew to Uruguay with a full kit and plan to travel often with the kit for work.

I never saw anyone mention regulation in the countries travelled to - folks, make sure to check what is needed to fly before you travel.  Regulations differ in every country and last thing anyone wants is to have their drone confiscated because they didn't get a permit or register somewhere.
2015-5-2
Use props
LeoLu
New

United States

I am going to travel to China in two days and then come back to the states. I am just wondering if my inspire one can fit the cabin overhead bins. I am going to take the Asiana Airline and it might be the A 380. It is pretty hurry.
2015-5-29
Use props
Pgale
lvl.2
Flight distance : 275207 ft
United Kingdom

Im a professional camera operator and have travelled internationally with kit. One thing I would mention about Pelli cases is that they can be a magnet for theft which unfortunately does happen. I always put my kit inside a bigger case when checking it in and that way it has an extra layer of protection, the case has wheels and it looks like every other bit of luggage out there. A peli, whilst fantastic, (and I own several for non-airline travel) does scream "look at me, I've got expensive kit inside!"

I do have a carry-on sized peli case though which is great for some of my cameras but not the inspire unfortunately (unless it's in bits!).

The other thing I'd note is that not all airlines and other countries have the same battery carry-on regulations that have been discussed here. For example, British Airways allow only 4 TB47 sized  and 2 TB48 sized batteries to be carried on. You can check the inspire with a battery - if installed in the equipment.

This is the BA guideline doc:

http://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/lithium_battery.pdf
2015-5-30
Use props
fjtiger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1299 ft
United States

I have flown multiple times on delta with no issues. Not a problem through tsa. Also has fit in overhead on 3 different plane types!

Good luck
2015-6-1
Use props
Arvada
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398822 ft
United States

I have to fly to Minneapolis next week.  I am bringing my Inspire and have three TB48s.  The current FAA and TSA pamphlets clearly indicate I can carry all three.  Two will come with me onboard.  But they do state that one with its Watt Hours will qualify to be checked as long as it is "plugged into the device."  Has anyone checked an inspire with a battery plugged in?  I see those that carry with a full charge did not check their batteries which were then set to 8000 MSL.  But checked is a different animal.  Has anyone had any experience with this and do they completely discharge or just drain below 30%?  

Thanks in advance for a reply.
2015-7-21
Use props
dmason.home
lvl.2

United Kingdom

electricshadow Posted at 2015-4-18 22:00
joekeantang, I'm not sure if you read the article carefully but the fire happened while the plane wa ...

"The other thing I don't see anyone talking about -- the remote controllers.  Any suggestion about whether or not to carry these on too?"

Good catch, I had the same thought today (as i am now planning for my first airline experience with an inspire). I understand the dangers and procedures regarding regulations of our main flight batteries, but the RC units have LiPos also. If my strained eyes read it right (tiny text on the back of the RC), 8000mAh at 7.4v, therefore a little less than 60Wh per unit, i was surprised as this is a significant LiPo (for reference remember the TB47's come in at 99.9Wh). The main point though is that it is also a LiPo. I know the RC unit batteries are not removable, but maybe some consideration is needed (check, carry on, charged, discharged etc..?). Just a thought i'd like to second and emphasise, would be interested in other members / owners thoughts..

..by the way this is an interesting thread. It would be good if we had a sticky referencing the safe practices of airline travel with our LiPo's (how to package, label, charge, discharge, fire proof) etc. I'm sure that something like this exists but if so i might have missed it.
2015-8-24
Use props
rogerkapsalis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1340610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-1-16 16:56
Domestically in the US on Southwest only.  My wife is a SWA employee.  Lucky me.  So far I have been ...

Ed, I see you posted this earlier this year. Are you aware of any changes. I'm looking to fly from NYC to Las Vegas with my P3 and 4 batteries. Any advice? Thx.

2015-9-29
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

rogerkapsalis Posted at 2015-9-29 12:56
Ed, I see you posted this earlier this year. Are you aware of any changes. I'm looking to fly from ...

I flew back last week with my Inspire 1 Pro and 6 batteries.  There was not a question with the CSA or the cabin crew.  My flight was not very full so if you want to avoid potential problems, I would opt for early bird checkin.  You get in on the first group and bin space is available.  Just an FYI if it does become an issue, I traveled back from China to Las Vegas with the Inspire with a X5 camera and the stock case held up well.  I did have them mark it fragile.  LOL.
2015-9-30
Use props
rogerkapsalis
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-9-30 18:45
I flew back last week with my Inspire 1 Pro and 6 batteries.  There was not a question with the CS ...

Pretty funny! Thanks!
2015-10-1
Use props
rogerkapsalis
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fjtiger Posted at 2015-6-2 01:25
I have flown multiple times on delta with no issues. Not a problem through tsa. Also has fit in over ...

How many batteries did you have? Thanks!
2015-10-1
Use props
dan.nelson02
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46060 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

HI just a query I understand about the TB47 and 48s but what about the built in battery in the controller is that OK to check in? Sorry if already asked I can't see an answer anywhere. obviously was no issues with earlier Phantoms as the batteries were removable. But for the Inspire has anyone had any issues?
2015-10-29
Use props
mjjedras
New

Philippines

Hi folks,

I lately also had a n experience while traveling with my Inspire. It was in Europe and I would call it 50% success rate. Here is the video from the trip:

Hope it helps
2015-10-29
Use props
mjjedras
New

Philippines

Hi folks,

I lately also had a n experience while traveling with my Inspire. It was in Europe and I would call it 50% success rate. Here is the video from the trip:

Hope it helps
2015-10-29
Use props
snathla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5045295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-1-19 18:16
I responded to this before.  I always travel with the Inspire with me in the cabin.  It fits in th ...

Hi Tahoe_ED - can you share if this is still valid a year later? Do you run into any issues, taking a trip into Houston Tx with Southwest. Also does the DJI case fit the overhead bin?
2016-4-21
Use props
user4192d06fc9
New

United States

For anyone who is still looking for the answer to this question, the answer is YES. The inspire case fits in the overhead cabin on southwest airlines.
image.jpeg
2016-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules