4720 42 2016-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ishtarbgl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53323 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I'm a newbie and haven't bought a DJI yet, but plan to buy a Phantom 3 Standard in the next few days.  As part of my research I've stumbled upon the Litchi app and there seems to be some positive reports surrounding it.  I'm curious to hear from others who own a Phantom whether this is their go to app or do they prefer the DJI app?  Most importantly, I would like to understand the "why" you use what you use.
2016-4-27
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Both are very good.
The Go app is all that many (most?) owners would ever want or need.
Litchi adds some extra features that are useful if you can use them in your kind of flying/filming.
2016-4-27
Use props
tokenbrit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

I'm also new to Phantom and have used the Litchi app several times.  It allows you to create flight plans on the ground and then let the drone fly autonomously.  It's been very good so far.
2016-4-27
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

Litchi is a great app for functions mode, for normal, GO app is fine.
2016-4-27
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Welcome to the world of quad flying.
The Litchi app is enjoyed by many and some only use Litchi, but for a new user, you do not yet need to get to that level.
The DJI Go app will have the features you will use for almost everything you do when you get your bird.
I would say once you want to do such things as "way points" or "tether" and know what that means will be the time to look into the Litchi app.

this is the best part about Litchi.
https://flylitchi.com/hub

You can plan your flight out a head of time, then fly that course and save the course for another go.
2016-4-27
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321857 ft
United Kingdom

Could P3 fly this plan on Litchi and the distance? It is from a hill top down to beach, so the signal should be fine.
I am temted to buy this App however I use IOS (apple system), and the reviews are very bad in the App Store! :/

Anyone uses Litchi with IOS device?

Thanks!

Litchi Plan.jpg
2016-4-27
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

flydodom Posted at 2016-4-28 08:56
Could P3 fly this plan on Litchi and the distance? It is from a hill top down to beach, so the signa ...

Yes, the Phantom could do that easily but you have the flight speed down too low.
As it is (6 metres/sec) there wouldn't be enough safety margin for dealing with headwinds and the video would be too long and boring.
Crank the speed up above 10 m/s toward 15 m/s and it will work better.
It won't matter if you lose signal - the mission goes on anyway.
Be aware of the wind strength and direction and factor that into your planning before you fly.
2016-4-27
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

Litchi gets around geofencing, DJI Go app doesn't
2016-4-27
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-27
Use props
RICK8162JR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47192 ft
United States

hover on my standard is much better with Litchi than DJI GO
2016-4-27
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-28 00:50
Yes, the Phantom could do that easily but you have the flight speed down too low.
As it is (6 metr ...

Cheers! Oh that is a good point about the speed! I edit my videos short however I'd like to more video coverage of the area to give me plenty of options.  

Yes, I was thinking this for non wind situation.

What about Litchi reviews at the App store? There are three late comments, which led me thinking dark! :/
2016-4-28
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

pgrover516 Posted at 2016-4-28 04:19
A couple thoughts, do you know the transmission range on the standard is MUCH less than the P3A or ...

Yes, I forgot to mention that small detail! I have the P3P.

Thanks
2016-4-28
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

RICK8162JR Posted at 2016-4-28 06:09

So the app works fine with Apple devices!?
2016-4-28
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

sifu128 Posted at 2016-4-28 02:30

"I think DJIGo app doesn't have Geofencing, right. That is a bonus, however my concern is whether it works with ipad/iphones well."

IGONORE THE COMMENT ABOVE, THAT WAS BEFORE COFFEE..!
2016-4-28
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

sifu128 Posted at 2016-4-28 11:30

Really??   Are you sure of this or just repeating what someone told you?
I suspect you are not right because the geofencing is hardwired into the Phantom.
It's not part of the app.

2016-4-28
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

RICK8162JR Posted at 2016-4-28 15:09

Really ??
It's hard to see how that would be because the app has nothing to do with flight controls at all.
2016-4-28
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

flydodom Posted at 2016-4-28 18:34
Cheers! Oh that is a good point about the speed! I edit my videos short however I'd like to more v ...

"What about Litchi reviews at the App store? "
I'm not sure what they say but I'd ignore them if they are negative because my experience is all positive and I've heard so many others with similar things to say.
You'll always find some idiot complaining because they couldn't work out how to use an app or they tried it on unsuitable equipment or they had things configured badly.

I  presume it works on iOS but have no experience as I'm using Android.
2016-4-28
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

flydodom Posted at 2016-4-28 04:44
I think DJIGo app doesn't have Geofencing, right. That is a bonus, however my concern is whether i ...

No matter what app, you have geofencing, even with the P3's i believe. It's built into the Phantom. Mind your NFZs!
2016-4-28
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-4-28 12:40
No matter what app, you have geofencing, even with the P3's i believe. It's built into the Phantom ...

I have no idea about 'Geofencing' hence the reason I replied politely, an English attitude from 'My Ma' the 'Queen'.  No offence taken I hope but what is 'NFZ' ??? Can't you spell it out, all adults here.   
2016-4-28
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-28 10:15
I'm not sure what they say but I'd ignore them if t ...

Hey,

The comments are good for Android, but not so good for IOS. That is why I am here to ask.

Thanks for the support and help mate! ;)  
2016-4-28
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-28 10:10
I suspect you are not rig ...

Actually, that makes sense, I was being stupid too. That is why we can put limit on altitude/distance and airports are no go zones. :/ Sorry about that!
2016-4-28
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

My question is  

'Does Litchi work with Ipad/Iphone - IOS'

..?

Thanks..!

2016-4-28
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

flydodom Posted at 2016-4-28 07:48
I have no idea about 'Geofencing' hence the reason I replied politely, an English attitude from 'M ...

NFZ = No Fly Zone. Areas near airports/military installations/other government stuff is blocked from flying in, due to a technology built into the Phantom called "Geofencing".
2016-4-28
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-4-28 13:05
NFZ = No Fly Zone. Areas near airports/military installations/other government stuff is blocked fr ...

......I obviously need more coffee. :/

Not very good reading lips. Sorry about that.

Thank you!!!!
2016-4-28
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

flydodom Posted at 2016-4-28 08:07
......I obviously need more coffee. :/

Not very good reading lips. Sorry about that.

haha i feel you on the coffee. No problem, The DJI people are busy a lot (and I have to admit i'm a bit obsessed with my drone) so I cruise the forums whenever I'm not flying, trying to answer questions for people so they don't have to wait a couple days to get the same answer from a DJI rep (not saying anything bad against the reps, but it's impractical for them to sit in the forums, answering questions).
2016-4-28
Use props
RICK8162JR
lvl.2
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-28 02:11
Really ??
It's hard to see how that would be because the app has nothing to do with flight control ...

Not hard to see, go app its all over the place at hover, Litchi it hovers great
2016-4-28
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

RICK8162JR Posted at 2016-4-29 02:02
Not hard to see, go app its all over the place at hover, Litchi it hovers great

Are you sure you are comparing apples to apples?
Maybe you used Go on a windy day or a time with poor sat lock and Litchi when conditions were perfect?

The app has nothing to do with flight control.
You can pull the cable or switch your tablet off and the Phantom doesn't even notice.
Whether you use one app or another should make no difference to hovering
2016-4-28
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-4-28 13:10
haha i feel you on the coffee. No problem, The DJI people are busy a lot (and I have to admit i'm  ...

Well, I owe you a cuppa for sure then. Well, count me in, even though i have much to learn, still trying to help out. It is passion, I call it.  

I guess, if it is your job then prospectus changes a bit. No longer help any more, demands start. Lucky them, they have you. Keep it up. ;)

Thanks again.
2016-4-28
Use props
RICK8162JR
lvl.2
United States

I tryed my test in my back yard back to back and in the front yard, go app responding funny, will try with just controller and other 2 apps ,maby I was just to stoned but something is going on, I have herd other issues on hover in the forum
2016-4-28
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 843369 ft
United Kingdom

flydodom Posted at 2016-4-28 12:57
My question is  

'Does Litchi work with Ipad/Iphone - IOS'

It works fine on my iPad Air 2 - no problems at all.
2016-4-28
Use props
leorvasquez
lvl.2
United States

I have downloaded the Litchi app and yet to even try or understand it since I have only used the DJI GO app. I do have one question, can I just start the the Litchi app and launch and go, or do I need to start everything with the DJI GO app and then switch over to the Litchi app?
2016-4-28
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

birdingbilly Posted at 2016-4-28 17:23
It works fine on my iPad Air 2 - no problems at all.

Finally, one IOS confirmed.

I can go to store and get it now, I have already made three flight plans.

THANK YOU Birdingbilly!
2016-4-28
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

leorvasquez Posted at 2016-4-28 17:54
I have downloaded the Litchi app and yet to even try or understand it since I have only used the DJI ...

......as far as I know, just Litchi, no need DJIGo.
2016-4-28
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 843369 ft
United Kingdom

leorvasquez Posted at 2016-4-28 17:54
I have downloaded the Litchi app and yet to even try or understand it since I have only used the DJI ...

The only thing I use DJI Go for (if I am going to use Litchi) is to calibrate the compass.  If I don't need to do that I just fire up Litchi wait for GPS to do its stuff, home point to set and then I take off.  One very important thing to mention is that you must not have both Litchi and DJI Go running so if you do use DJI Go first you must close it and properly kill it before launching Litchi.
2016-4-28
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

RICK8162JR Posted at 2016-4-28 17:23
I tryed my test in my back yard back to back and in the front yard, go app responding funny, will tr ...

I guess, two app would complicate things, imagine you have two wives and they are both nagging at you.
2016-4-28
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-28 10:15
I'm not sure what they say but I'd ignore them if t ...

Goodday 'Labroides'

I have a question for you (others may also know) as you sound well experienced on this App.

I am making a further advised planning of "Dalyan 1" 3.4km (flying at 25kmh / 7ms / 15.53mh), 11minutes flight.  I am thinking to speed it all up on the post later.  If I start recording whilst camera looking down -90 angle towards the ground and then setting POI nearby beach and have the camera tilted as flies towards the arrival at Point 2 to -20 degrees, so looking at the POI 1 upwards and revealing the bay and the beach.  Am I on the right track?  I haven't managed to fly with the App yet, and questions and questions, my head hurts.

Lastly, there is RTH in the settings of the App, should I set up any height or just return to Point 1? Or they are two separete things..?!  So, I understand that even if the signal is lost the drone will finish the job and return back to Point 1 or whatever is set to, why do we need RTH? For manual flights?  

Cheers buddy!
Dalyan 1.JPG
2016-4-29
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I cannot wait to get there. Excitement is huge. I love peaks!

This is the tophill I am planing to fly into the bay.

Dalyan

Dalyan

Dalyan

Dalyan
2016-4-29
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

flydodom Posted at 2016-4-29 09:21
I cannot wait to get there. Excitement is huge. I love peaks!  

This is the tophill I am planing  ...

The Dalaman Airport is right behind this point, 30 minutes away, I am hoping that there will be no issues flying there. I am not going higher than 20 metres of the point of take off but I don't know how high this spot is, I guess I need to work on that out when I get there. Descent point is crucial as I fly lower towards the bay. I planned -20m but I may have to modify that. It seems much lower than that the point of take off.
2016-4-29
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-28 17:10
I suspect you are not rig ...

It is hardwired to the firmware but if you are still on firmware 1.6 it doesn't even show up even with the latest app.
2016-4-30
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Litchi works all good! My very first trial below.

I lost signal on RC but returned back to base as it should. It was the longest 10 minutes in my life.

First Flight

First Flight
2016-5-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules