Unlocking with geo system ~ iOS
2985 22 2016-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lenw
lvl.2

United States

I live near an airport and would like to have the ability to unlock my P3P so that I can hover, test etc. in my yard.  I downloaded and installed the Geo beta on my drone.  I am registered and received confirmation on the DJI Geo website via my pc that the area I wanted to fly in is now unlocked for 3 days.  I went outside to check but it still shows on the DJI Go app that the area is still restricted even thought the website said the unlock was successful.  Did I miss a step or did I misunderstand something?  Just curious what others that have used this app have experienced. I didn't wait very long after unlocking the area.  Should the unlocking be instantaneous?  
2016-4-27
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Did you also download and install the beta firmware required for the app?
2016-4-27
Use props
lenw
lvl.2

United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-28 09:55
Did you also download and install the beta firmware required for the app?

Nope!  I guess I will try that tomorrow.  Not sure how I missed it.  I will report back once I do that.
2016-4-27
Use props
lenw
lvl.2

United States

Ok, I can't find the beta for the app.  There is a button for IOS to click on when viewing the DJI Geo page so I did that.  An email message popped up that went to DJI apparent;y requesting this for me?  Is there somewhere I can just download it or do I need approval from DJI?  I would really like to try this out.
2016-4-28
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

lenw Posted at 2016-4-28 14:40
Ok, I can't find the beta for the app.  There is a button for IOS to click on when viewing the DJI G ...

Check this article for info:

http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news ... w-geofencing-system
2016-4-28
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

Beta only available for Android I believe.  
2016-4-28
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

It really should not be a beta only.. they should figure out a way to do this...  Honestly, i think it should just be a dialog for the user, to acknowledge that they realize they are doing something not right and it's logged, but enforcing should not happen...
On one hand I know that bad pilots give us a bad name, but then again, there are those who do it responsibly, and properly, even in restricted areas... It is not DJIs job to control, in my opinion, but only to warn to the best of their abilities (do they really want to keep atop of all regulations so some idiot can sue them that they allowed him or her to fly in a restricted area they missed?)...
I think we'll be better of by recording that stuff in the logs and warning people, than enforcing...
Interesting to see how this whole mess will evolve over the next few years...
GT
2016-4-28
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft

lenw Posted at 2016-4-29 05:40
Ok, I can't find the beta for the app.  There is a button for IOS to click on when viewing the DJI G ...

It's not available for iOS yet, you can apply for the beta though here http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

You also need to have a verified account for it to work.
2016-4-28
Use props
lenw
lvl.2

United States

OK thanks. I didn't realize it was not available for iOS yet. I did follow the link posted above and was able to send an email to DJI requesting the beta app.  That was about a week ago and I was starting to wonder why I was not receiving a response. I just didn't realize that it actually wasn't ready yet. Hopefully DJI will release it soon. It would really simplify things for me.
2016-4-30
Use props
frank.dellaert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-4-29 04:14
It really should not be a beta only.. they should figure out a way to do this...  Honestly, i think  ...

And then there are people that will say that flying in 'restricted' areas is NEVER 'responsible'. I's a bit a NIMBY-discussion: restricted zones are important and needed for safety and to prevent idiots from flying where it can potentially cause deadly harm...just Not In My Back Yard....because THERE I want to fly whenever I want...
2016-4-30
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I know - it's a mix, and I do see both sides of the story, but I still say if it's discussed, planned, and so on, it should be allowed - but requires lot's of common sense and so on...  We have became so over rule based in the US last 20 years, that the whole freedom and innovation is suffering.. but then again, it is so, because of all the idiots who sue, rather than take responsibility of their own action.. We live in a very "finger pointing" culture, and that double sided sword is now hurting us right back....
Oh well, life ;)
Now, on your specific issue, if they clear you, make sure you set you rth altitude either low, or change behavior to "hover" on signal loss and low battery....
GT
2016-4-30
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it's a red no-fly zone then nothing will unlock it, geo only unlocks yellow.
2016-4-30
Use props
lenw
lvl.2

United States

digdat0@gmail.c Posted at 2016-4-29 12:31
It's not available for iOS yet, you can apply for the beta though here http://www.dji.com/flysafe/ ...

I just received my invite from DJI for the beta GEO for iOS.  Downloaded, installed and was able to unlock and fly without issue.  
2016-5-6
Use props
jtavares.mne.tl
lvl.1

Timor-Leste

Will it unlock anywhere in the world or only for North America, UAE and Europe?

The Geo system page explains:
d. The underlying policies apply to the following countries: the United States, Canada, Mexico, Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, Switzerland, Portugal, Andorra, and the United Arab Emirates.

What about other countries in parts of the world?
I ask this because if you go to the Advance Unlock page and you select Asia and then East Timor, you will see no pins to select.

How do I go around this conundrum?

Thanks
2016-5-11
Use props
jtavares.mne.tl
lvl.1

Timor-Leste

Can anyone from DJI Support help with this issue?

The place in question is not an airport until we finish the construction of a new airport around the end of 2018 as can be seen by the attached pic.

We need to use the Phantom to supervise this construction and build an historic registry of the construction phases.

DJI Flysafe has been no help at all, apart from saying that a new firmware will be developed to address these issues.
2016-5-12
Use props
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-4-28 21:14
It really should not be a beta only.. they should figure out a way to do this...  Honestly, i think  ...

This is the mentality we are dealing with.

In China, every citizen is being assigned a credit score that drops if a person buys and plays video games, or posts political comments online “without prior permission," or even if social media "friends" do so. The ACLU said the credit rating system, an Orwellian nightmare, should serve as a warning to Americans.
2016-6-7
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

cgl817@gmail.co Posted at 2016-6-8 09:47
This is the mentality we are dealing with.

In China, every citizen is being assigned a credit sco ...

As a Chinese I have to say this is false, to the point of nonsense.

The official credit report is like a credit report in US,  just without a score, it lists your credit cards, mortgages and defaults. I just pulled mine yesterday.

Things like Jaywalking, DUI being recorded in credit report has been proposed, but rarely enacted.
2016-6-7
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

jtavares.mne.tl Posted at 2016-5-13 08:17
Can anyone from DJI Support help with this issue?

The place in question is not an airport until we  ...

You need a Phantom to prove the airport is unfinished yet and no planes are inside.

You need to prove the airport is not complete  before you can fly a Phantom.

Catch-22.
2016-6-7
Use props
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-6-7 23:44
As a Chinese I have to say this is false, to the point of nonsense.

The official credit report is ...

Thanks for letting me see the other side of that article.  We're all human no matter wher we're from and  the thought of  becoming a Borg under any government is a scary proposition.
2016-6-8
Use props
jtavares.mne.tl
lvl.1

Timor-Leste

If only i knew how to post pics taken with the Phantom from just outside the restricted area. The metadata would show the coordinates of the place to prove there's an airport under construction from scratch.

2016-6-8
Use props
jtavares.mne.tl
lvl.1

Timor-Leste

https://forum22.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/file:///C:/Users/Jo%C3%A3o/Desktop/DJI%20Drone/Voo%2014Abr16/DJI_0003.JPGHere is a pic of the airport under construction with the proving metadata.What else do I need to do more?
João
DJI_0003-1.jpg
2016-6-8
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

lenw Posted at 2016-4-29 05:40

The Beta app was a download for Android and you had to apply for an IOS download. I applied and received a download good for 30 days.

However, I am not aware of a firmware download also. Am I missing something?
2016-6-8
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

cgl817@gmail.co Posted at 2016-6-9 09:05
Thanks for letting me see the other side of that article.  We're all human no matter wher we're fr ...

No problem.  
2016-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules