Arrested for flying dones without FAA Registration
12Next >
3653 46 2016-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

No, not me......but wondering if there are any cases of this happenning yet.

I'm curious about all the Federal laws that have been enacted as well as all the local ordinances.

Personally, I haven't seen a single instance at any forum to this point of anyone being cited for flying without registering.
I also haven't heard of anyone getting nailed and actually fined for breaking local laws such as those in LosAngeles county or anywhere else.

So are all the new laws and ordinances just paper tigers designed to make foks feel good without having any actual bite of enforcement or do you know of specific cases?
Maybe enforcement is still waiting for some court descisions to work their way through?

I'm particularly interested to know if anyone has been charged with flying without being registered.
2016-4-27
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think the odds of someone coming up to you and asking for your "papers" are slim.  But if there is some sort of issue like a crashed drone, complaint, etc., the responding official may ask for your registration.  And you may be fined if you don't have one.
2016-4-27
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

bobasbury Posted at 2016-4-28 10:41
I think the odds of someone coming up to you and asking for your "papers" are slim.  But if there is ...

ok, so your opinion is that unless something happens  someone will probably get away with flying un-registerd.   You may be right.

thanks.
2016-4-27
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Egads!  You seem to have turned into a mutant hybrid cat/dog!!

2016-4-27
Use props
jstjohnz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1146388 ft
United States

Since it's a Federal law, local/state law enforcement doesn't even have authority to ask about your drone registration, let alone ticket/fine you.  As far as local/state drone laws, the FAA says that they have sole authority to regulate airspace, and with a few exceptions such as prohibiting voyeurism, states/cities have no authority to regulate drones.

Of course that doesn't mean that some cities won't pass laws and enforce them.
2016-4-27
Use props
our0borus
lvl.2

United States

What I want to know is this, is there anybody ANYWHERE actually serving time right now, for flying a UAV?  

Seriously, did anything happen to the drunk idiot who crashed the Phantom on the White House lawn?  You'd think at the very least they would want to make an example of him for violating restricted airspace.

Sure, there are scattered, isolated incidents where they grab somebody temporarily, maybe at worst confiscating their equipment temporarily and eventually having to pay a small fine.  But after all the DRONES AND AIRPLANES AND DANGER, DANGER, DANGER! scare tactics that are blown out of proportion, what has been the uncontested and documented damage and jail time spent by the offenders?!?  
2016-4-28
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Why not register it only costs $5 yes five dollars and takes a couple of minutes on line. There has already been an instance where a fly away Phantom was returned by the local police (US) because they could trace the owner of the FAA registration.  Don't think that the "nay sayer's" are the total population. You only have to go out with your drone to see how interested in a good way the public are. It seems that the drone that crashed in to a commercial airliner two weeks ago was a fly away white plastic bag after all at Heathrow ( London) airport UK
2016-4-28
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft

bobasbury Posted at 2016-4-28 10:41
I think the odds of someone coming up to you and asking for your "papers" are slim.  But if there is ...

WHENEVER I fly, if I'm at a park or something, I immediately look for a cop, or maybe a security guard and say "hey, here is my certification, do you mind if I fly for fun around this park or whatever" and of course he wants to use his authority so he will always grant you the okay.

Then I can feel relatively safe that I won't be shut down by a cop. I once had an LAPD helicopter yell at me from a loudspeaker "to land my drone or have it confiscated" even though I am certified, have a 333 exemption, General Ham License, and liability insurance but LAPD so since then I try and be pre-emptive.
2016-4-28
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

our0borus Posted at 2016-4-28 18:12
What I want to know is this, is there anybody ANYWHERE actually serving time right now, for flying a ...

"What I want to know is this, is there anybody ANYWHERE actually serving time right now, for flying a UAV?  "

Serving time??
What kind of drone crime do you think would justify a prison sentence?
Do they have the death penalty for speeding where you are?
2016-4-28
Use props
our0borus
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-28 05:29
"What I want to know is this, is there anybody ANYWHERE actually serving time right now, for flyin ...

Hmmm, it appears you missed my point completely.  
2016-4-28
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

our0borus Posted at 2016-4-28 04:12
What I want to know is this, is there anybody ANYWHERE actually serving time right now, for flying a ...

Im guessing that those serving time right now for drone bafoonery may have poor internet access and thus cant reply to your question
2016-4-28
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-28 12:00

Right?This is a labrador retreiver wearing his thinking Cat

2016-4-28
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

jstjohnz Posted at 2016-4-28 14:49
Since it's a Federal law, local/state law enforcement doesn't even have authority to ask about your  ...

THIS....is the reply I want to believe most   
2016-4-28
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

michaelfinney_h Posted at 2016-4-28 16:33
Why not register it only costs $5 yes five dollars and takes a couple of minutes on line. There has  ...

michaelfinney_h Posted at 2016-4-28 16:33
Why not register it only costs $5 yes five dollars and takes a couple of minutes on line.

Why not?

I think many still fear that the list will become publicly searchable.    One potential issue with that is that it will allow thuglns to know where people live that own these expensive, easy to sell commodities.     In Florida, the motor vehicle registration database is sold to anyone per 1000 names.   Many states sell personal information from registration databases.  In the USA, The Freedom of Information Act will probably eventually make all drone owners public information on a Federal level.

Another concern might be that if the info goes public, certain neighbors might be able to harrass the owners.
Another is the fear of mis-identification.   

Finally, Congress has already spoken on this.   The regulation is prohibited by Sec. 336 of the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2012.

Apparently, some EXTREMELY DEEP POCKETS and EXTREMELY INFLUENTIAL LOBBYISTS representing the powers that be gave Congress a new, behind closed doors directive....and they silently obeyed.
2016-4-28
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2016-4-28 05:26
WHENEVER I fly, if I'm at a park or something, I immediately look for a cop, or maybe a security g ...

and they had every right to make you land unless you filed a NOTAM, which you obviously didn't because they would have been aware of your drone flight and it's location and would have known you got the proper permission to do it. It doesn't matter if your following some of the law (333, insurance, etc.) if your ignoring other parts of it (filing a NOTAM for every flight). I do agree with your method of not getting in trouble with local cops. If you can find one in your area, it's always best to ask them first (even though they really don't have authority to tell you yes or no) but it will sure help if something goes wrong.
2016-4-28
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2016-4-28 17:26
I once had an LAPD helicopter yell at me from a loudspeaker "to land my drone or have it confiscated" even though I am certified, have a 333 exemption,

Were you doing anything wrong?   Breaking any rules?   Flying where they were already operating?
Maybe you were flying where they were flying and you were trying to film the action?
2016-4-28
Use props
Alan Guan
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-28
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

The FAA is so limited on resources that you really have nothing to worry about.
It is more to prove you are willing to obey the law when in the skies.They have been going crazy trying to setup more rules and also hopefully classify Micro-Drones (aka Phantoms) not to be required to have the 333 but will require insurance for commericla use.

Others have propsed to the FAA recreational users also have insurance and also they have been looking at the whole privacy thing.

So really, just do not do anything stupid and you will be fine.
2016-4-28
Use props
dmartin.ealnet
lvl.2
United States

I contacted the local municipal airport in my area a few months ago, and spoke to someone in authority there.  I inquired about flying my aircraft in the city which is almost entirely within the airport's 3-mile radius.  The guy told me that even airport authorities were (at that time) not even certain as to what the regulations really mean.  He said local law enforcement is not going to be out looking for illegal drone flying, and it's likely nothing would happen to anybody unless there is a complaint.  That being said, he also advised me not to fly within the city unless I have a specific reason, and to contact the airport first.  The implication was that if for legal, commercial use it would be approved, but for recreational purpose only.....probably not.    Fortunately for me, I live about 7 miles from the airport.  (and I did register my UAV)
2016-4-28
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-28 00:00

EGADS! I havent heard that for years and years.....egads!
2016-4-28
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

im also curious if anyone was asked by a cop to see their FAA registration. I havent but i keep it on me ..
2016-4-28
Use props
dmartin.ealnet
lvl.2
United States

digdat0@gmail.c Posted at 2016-4-28 13:17
im also curious if anyone was asked by a cop to see their FAA registration. I havent but i keep it o ...

I keep a copy of my FAA reg taped to my ipad.
2016-4-28
Use props
timjd3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 531217 ft
  • >>>

I can't tell if the original post and following thread is serious or a bit of a goof.   

In any case, and this is probably semantics, but wouldn't this be analogous to say fishing without a fishing license?   It's not illegal per se, at least not in the sense anyone would go to jail for it!   It's a violation of a state/federal regulation......would that qualify as "illegal".
2016-4-28
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

The difference between being registered and not is if you have a accident is getting cuffed and stuffed.
2016-4-28
Use props
Ricardo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I'm thinking like the most of you that unless you crash your drone into someone's house or some government building you shouldn't be hassled by anyone. I don't mind the $5 to register, and I do have my number on both of my aircraft, but I don't carry any paperwork around with me. I am somewhat close to an airport also, and the way I read the rules is that you need to make an "attempt" to contact someone. I am not going to go buzzing around out there by no means. I also live close to a hospital with a heli-pad and the same applies to them I guess. I did talk with a person at the hospital and they had no idea of what the regulations were either. Again, in my mind if you use your head and don't go intentionally flying close to these types of facilities, I don't look for any issues. I know of several drone owners in my area and no one has ever been questioned about the registration and for sure no arrests.
2016-4-28
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

Donald Trump as a future president will arrested any drone pilot without a ''legal'' registration. LOL.
2016-4-28
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

michaelfinney_h Posted at 2016-4-28 10:33
Why not register it only costs $5 yes five dollars and takes a couple of minutes on line. There has  ...

I don't think I like the idea of registration.  The cop comes to the door - Ah! sir we have some good news for you we found your UAV.  The bad news is - it's a total right off.  The other bad news is it damaged a car, that then crashed into a truck, which then caused a motorway pile-up and you are going to jail.
2016-4-28
Use props
Johnny Danger
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2997710 ft
  • >>>
United States

As a Law Enforcement officer in a borough in Pa, Other officers in my department or any other local or city officer have no clue about the use of drones and the FAA requirement on them.  Although if you do fly it negligent manner, I'm mostly positive that will get you jammed up if not registered.   
2016-4-28
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Registered, not registered, there's no enforcement, but why not register? It's $5 for 5 years... I am sure that if there was an arrest it would be more for filming what you should not, or crashing into someone's property, or putting people in danger, by flying over them. and that would probably take someone to notice, call it in, and actually consider pressing charges... I am sure an officer would be interested if they saw something amiss, or may chat with you as they may be interested in the technology - but from the legal perspective, unless you happened to come across some overzealous cop that really wants to make it painful for you, whcih they sure could... So far not my experience, and let's hope it will so remain ;) Now.. what would happen though if you were flying 35MPH in a 20MPH zone by the school?
GT
2016-4-28
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-4-28 23:03
Were you doing anything wrong?   Breaking any rules?   Flying where they were already operating?
Ma ...

Nope, was just flying at the park in a very open area and the chopper didn't want mine in the air.

Since then, I've got permission to fly at that location from the Burbank PD. I should have said LAPD, Burbank is actually it's own township and they don't use LAPD or fire.

Burbank has a couple choppers and they love to fly them all over the valley. Ask for permission first, throw some technical jargon at them and show them a cert or whatever and all is good.
2016-4-28
Use props
dmartin.ealnet
lvl.2
United States

talk2t_c Posted at 2016-4-28 18:26
I don't think I like the idea of registration.  The cop comes to the door - Ah! sir we have some g ...

What you're saying is you don't like the idea of taking responsibility for your actions if something should go wrong?
2016-4-29
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

dmartin.ealnet Posted at 2016-4-29 13:43
What you're saying is you don't like the idea of taking responsibility for your actions if somethi ...

Well I don't fly for recreation - I do it for aerial photos and videos - I plan, take off, do the business and land.  I don't fly around for no reason - for me it is an aerial camera.   I don't fly near busy roads or over buildings like you very often see here on this forum and youtube.  Two years of flying and never hurt anyone.  We don't have to register in France (so far).

I see you keep a copy of your registration taped to your ipad - do you also display it on the bird and is that a requirement?
2016-4-29
Use props
Alan Guan
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-29
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2016-4-28 20:18
Nope, was just flying at the park in a very open area and the chopper didn't want mine in the air. ...

If a cop asks for my registration info, do I just have to give them the reg. number? It's on a sticker on the side of my P4.
2016-4-29
Use props
tokenbrit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

Beach ban

This reporting bothers me. I see more towns trying to impose bans on drones in the months to come
2016-4-29
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Alan Guan Posted at 2016-4-29 13:58
wIll if you register your drone, cops can track you and stuff

Do the cops actually care that much about you?  don't they have better things to do?

How will they track you?

What stuff?
2016-4-29
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

tokenbrit Posted at 2016-4-29 16:50
Beach ban

This reporting bothers me. I see more towns trying to impose bans on drones in the months ...

Here we go again, invasion of privacy.  Why do people think they have a right to privacy in a public place?

Are you banned from riding a bicycle with a GoPro?

The ignorance of some people is incredible.
2016-4-29
Use props
virtualimagedes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 364826 ft
  • >>>
United States

If your flying it in eye sight like it says, you should be ok. I've read where people set a mission on waypoints and then go inside. That's just negligent in my opinion. If you don't register it, your no different than the illegal who operates a vehicle.

To the OP I haven't heard  or read anyone yet but I think the banning will come soon and only be able to fly at a designated fields, much like the RC planes around here.  If one doesn't want to register, you probably shouldn't have bought it. I know of high schools that have them now for their filming classes
2016-4-29
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

virtualimagedes Posted at 2016-4-30 00:09
If your flying it in eye sight like it says, you should be ok. I've read where people set a mission  ...

ALL of my drones were in my possession long before there was a registration.
2016-4-29
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

I have not been able to find a single case of anyone bothered over flying their drone without registering.   But, I agree that if there was an incident where your drone flew away or worse caused damage or injury you might face fines.
Registration per se is not the problem.   The problem is a government with a bad record of the protection of data and a government with a clear record of going too far in the illegal collection and use of data.    If we currently had a very hard core conservative adminstration and the nation was still leaning hard right, I doubt many on the left would feel comfortable with a bunch of new government registrations.
2016-4-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules