Marco Polo Tracking unit on the Inspire (Looks Good!)
13746 54 2015-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tcrabtree
lvl.1

United States

Situation 1- I fly my drone anywhere  and if I have a catastrophic failure, my Trackimo will tell me exactly where it is.
Situation 2- You fly your drone with marco polo and hope you lost it within an two mile radius . You spend 3 times as much money to purchase it  and you end up playing a game of "hot and cold" to find it... If it flew three miles away. You're f*cked . If my drone flew 10 miles away then I know exactly where it crashed or landed.

I'd like to offer some clarifications to your statement here Chris. See if you don't agree:

I think you meant to say that if you fly your drone anywhere and it lands where there is cell service and GPS reception then your Trackimo will telll you approximately where it is.

If you fly your drone with Marco Polo and it lands 3 miles away you are not necessarily out of luck. You have up to 10 days to get within range, whatever that is in the specific circumstances, and follow the signal to exactly where the drone is. Even if you have absolutely no idea which way your drone went and because of terrain/vegetation you were only getting a half mile of range it is still not an insurmountable task to cover that area. I'd do it for the cost of an Inspire 1.

As I see it, the only way you are totally up the creek is if you have a long-range fly away with only a cellular/GPS tracker and it crashes where one of those services is unavailable. That would be "bad".

2015-2-21
Use props
chato1974.gmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3657356 ft
  • >>>
United States

tcrabtree Posted at 2015-2-22 08:31
I'd like to offer some clarifications to your statement here Chris. See if you don't agree:

I thin ...

Agreed, I hopeTrackimo has better coverage and locations than my iPhone does because it often says I'm up to 500ft from where I really am. I live in San Fransico Bay Area California, and there a cell tower on every corner right next to the Starbucks (Exaggerated). I wonder how much the cell contract for the Trackimo is a month?
I would still go Maro Polo.
2015-2-21
Use props
boogieman77.gma
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

2015-2-22
Use props
mmalik4
lvl.1

United States

Can anyone tell me the difference in RC ver & the Pet ver besides the weight. I am finding the Pet ver. slightly chreaper just want to know its worth for the R/C ver. or not
2015-4-10
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

I have both (since I have a dog) and the RC unit is much smaller and lighter. The reduced battery life (30 days versus 90 days) shouldn't be an issue, since if you haven't found your lost Bird in 30 days, you are unlikely to anyhow. I fly in and area where there is no cell coverage so this was about the only option. Having field tested it for distance, I have successfully located from 0.75 miles through heavy woods. The Group Rescue feature is interesting, although I have not tried it. I t allows you to "clone" your tracking tag information to other handheld search units from YOUR search unit, allowing several searchers to work from different directions/areas. Obviously you have to have more than one handheld search unit or more likely, know other people with a handheld that could volunteer theirs to assist your search.

2015-4-11
Use props
ysainthilaire
lvl.1

United States

Just a quick note to say that I added a Marco Polo RC version to my Inspire. At first, I attached it low on the back side and the props hit the little antenna wire during gear transit. Now, I have it a bit higher on the back. I like the location, because I can put it in the case without removing it. You have to make sure to turn it on and off as part of the check list.

Ylian

20150412_001414_resized.jpg 20150412_001403_resized.jpg 20150412_001330_resized.jpg 20150412_001319_resized.jpg
2015-4-11
Use props
Chato1974.gmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3657356 ft
  • >>>
United States

ysainthilaire@h Posted at 2015-4-12 15:32
Just a quick note to say that I added a Marco Polo RC version to my Inspire. At first, I attached it ...

Looks very good. I like the RC version look.
2015-4-11
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912661 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So any update on a UK delivery option??
2015-9-20
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

Just an FYI. I used the RC version  Marco Polo to find my crashed bird from over 4 miles away. It is absolutely a worthwhile addition. Check this out:   http://forum.dji.com/thread-24449-1-1.html
2015-9-21
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great info. I am going to invest in one of these when I get mine back.
2015-9-21
Use props
P3T3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 701211 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad to see it works when needed. I bought mine after having two Q500s flyaway.
2015-9-24
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

tattman Posted at 2015-2-7 11:43
Hey All My First Post Here,

I have the Drone Mods Locator and I'm very happy with it. I have it a ...

@ tattman- Interesting and I'll look into this. It sure gives a peace of mind that's for sure! Thanks for the write up
2015-9-24
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-9-21 00:56
So any update on a UK delivery option??

Dragonfyr  maybe some of the long standing USA members on here could get you one and ship it to the uk .
2015-9-25
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912661 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2015-9-25 11:37
Dragonfyr  maybe some of the long standing USA members on here could get you one and ship it to th ...

A couple of years ago a friend from the states gave me a lens for my camera as a gift. UK customs charged me £91 (over $150 USD) to get it. So my experience with that idea isnt great lol. Thanks for the idea though
2015-9-25
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

I too am frustrated with the lack of international shipping from the Marco Polo people, so will just go for Trackimo I guess : /

On the upside I can carry Trackimo with me on my adventure rides around Borneo and should I need assistance, can get it to phone home with my location - which in theory I can do with my phone but at least it's a back-up unit and apparently can be set with a smart alert, including high impact? So even if I'm not in a fit state to transmit anything it could hopefully auto-transmit my position to wifey or someone.

Apparently it comes with a "worldwide sim card" for only $5 a month? And free for the first year. Overall it sounds pretty awesome - except many of the places I ride have no cell coverage, so it sorta sucks too.

Blurgh...
2016-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules