Blurry Photos
1186 8 2016-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jessehernand
lvl.1

Canada

Im new to the DJI drones and photography settings so please go easy on me (puts flame suit on).

I noticed yesterday when I was taking videos and pictures that the pictures come out really blurry....  The video quality is great!  Is there anything I am doing wrong that is making the pictures blurry?  Something in my settings?

I can upload pictures later on today once I am off of work.

Thanks!
2016-4-28
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Please upload an example of the blurry photos for analysis, and somebody here should be able to provide some insight. Without an example, there's not much to say or do.
2016-4-28
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 843369 ft
United Kingdom

Most likely motion blur due to too slow a shutter speed - but post examples
2016-4-28
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

birdingbilly Posted at 2016-4-28 17:50
Most likely motion blur due to too slow a shutter speed - but post examples

In my experience, this is the least likely reason for blurry photos with a Phantom, unless the aircraft is in motion at the time.  Even then...
2016-4-28
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Jesse, it would be appreciated to upload some original photos (DNG files) to dropbox and post the public link here.
2016-4-28
Use props
zhanghong25
lvl.1

Canada

I have the same problem. Put my P3A on the table. The vedio has a good resolution.  But the photos do not. Try to find out why.
2016-5-8
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4668169 ft

zhanghong25 Posted at 2016-5-9 03:30
I have the same problem. Put my P3A on the table. The vedio has a good resolution.  But the photos d ...

I took many photos with my P3P last October (late summer) in Spain. They ALL were fine.
I took a lot of photos in Germany over autumn/winter time. Many (but not all) of them were SLIGHTLY blurry.
I checked this forum and got to the conclusion:
At temperatures below +20°C the lens to target (sensor) distance tends to get smaller due to material characteristics (alloy) resulting in less sharp pictures. This was also generally the case for me. Using shorter shutter speeds helps reducing blurrs caused by motion/vibration, but the "slightly out of focus" problem remained.
But there also seem(ed) to be camera lots who have a general "factory set flange" problem.

In my case: I thought that using a variable ND filter would be a good idea to easily acquire video friendly shutter speeds (e.g. 1/100s @ 50fps) on every occasion. Unfortunately there were blurry spots on my photos ("objectively" unnoticeable on my videos). These were probably caused by the dual polar filter method itself by rotating one filter from parallel through orthogonal relation to the other fixed filter. I think that medium values close to 45° relative orientation may have caused those blurry spots due to optical ray displacement (change of density/obstruction).
I am not a physicist, but I think the polar grid dimensioning for such small filters/lenses/sensors has to be noticeably smaller than for standard optics. As I said, it nevertheless worked fine for videos.

Now it's getting warm spring time/summer and all my photos are sharp again using "fixed"/"smoked glass" ND filters. This must be the temperatures at which the flange was set factory wise.

After all I am still wondering, why 4K winter videos can be pretty sharp while 12M winter photos are out of focus. And that at fixed focal length and aperture...

2016-5-8
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

vr-pilot Posted at 2016-5-8 21:31
I took many photos with my P3P last October (late summer) in Spain. They ALL were fine.
I took a l ...

I've seen similar issues in cold weather, but only very slightly at below zero temperatures.  I think the problem is the lens' standard setting is generally focussed too far out.  Then, factory tolerances make some cameras ok & some not.  If they set the focus nearer the hyperlocal distance there would be less problem with contraction of the lens barrel/mount.  I noticed one of the P4 improvements was in fact focusing the lens closer to the hyperlocal distance.

Your video may not show the problem because of lower resolution & much higher compression even than jpgs, which will mask the problem.
2016-5-8
Use props
Infinite loop
lvl.1

Philippines

So guys it must be in Manual mode right? Yesterday flown my first flight with my P4 and same thing it happens to me.
2016-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules