Anyone considering getting a FPV as well?
1028 11 2016-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kirkd1989
lvl.2

United States

Anyone with any kind of expertise on FPV racers? I have my 4, its been good the last week or so. No issues. But the racers look like so much fun. Just don't know what the good ones are and things like that.....
2016-4-28
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

I've seen some FPV racing video in youtube and they are really exciting.Some users in our forum may have experience with it.
2016-4-28
Use props
jaraxle1zx
lvl.1

United States

I've been kicking this idea around in my head some.
I really don't know anything about racer drones or who makes the good ones or If Dji makes one.

Maybe someone will chime in.

A straight line flight with some wind behind it and the p4 can really move. But at $1399 + tax I don't think I want to treat my p4 like a racer drone.
2016-4-28
Use props
Bennyboy1983
lvl.3
Flight distance : 141089 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I like you bought the p4, love it!. Had a few small issues but with help on here etc I've sorted it all out myself!. The p4 is fast and it got me into the speed of it so I thought the same!, as I've already done a bit of racing and sold my home made quad I thought I'd buy one!. Bought a anakin sky hero, it's mental!. Top speed of 90 mph ish and it comes pre built with quality parts!!!, I've been racing it around for a few weeks and got the bug using it!. One thing I'd say is spend the extra money on good goggles!!!. I've had cheaper ones in the past but I went all out and got fatsharks flagship goggles at £500 and can honestly say they are insane!, and using on my p4 though the HDMI out port I fitted it AMAZING!..... It's two very very different worlds!. Do it you'll love it!. Benny
2016-4-28
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha kirk,

Racers are analog and camera drones are digital.  You need goggles for racers and like Benny said get the good ones FatShark.  The Lumenier is a top-of-the-line racer.  There are at least three classes of racers, the 250s are the wild ones you see racing at 80-90 mph.  The 180s are the smaller ones.  The larger ones, 285s, fly upside down, all flip and roll all over the place.

More later.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-4-29
Use props
kirkd1989
lvl.2

United States

Bennyboy1983 Posted at 2016-4-29 03:11
I like you bought the p4, love it!. Had a few small issues but with help on here etc I've sorted it  ...

Can you send me a link with some good ones? If I want to get into the racing scene.....
2016-4-29
Use props
Bennyboy1983
lvl.3
Flight distance : 141089 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Message me brother smithsengineservices@gmail.com
2016-4-29
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

This one seems really good, but have not bought one yet.
Vortex 285 Race Quad 5.8 GHz 350mW
But have been looking at these like Benny said
http://sky-hero.com/products/
2016-4-29
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

kirkd1989 Posted at 2016-4-29 05:47
Can you send me a link with some good ones? If I want to get into the racing scene.....

Aloha kirk,

Sorry, had a power outage and my desktop's battery backup was running out fast.

Goggles come with a few caveats.  Connecting to the P4 requires a HDMI module on the P4 RC.  The native aspect ration of the P4's DJI Go app is 4:3.  The FPV racers can use 4:3 or 16:9 and obviously the wider field of view is more useful in the racers, but they both have a corrected "720P" display although the Dominator HD V2 ($520) has a better native resolution and costs more.  I have not tried the Dominator V3 ($350) yet but the lower cost and wider field of view are surely benefits.

When using the goggles with the P4 will require an HDMI cable to connect the goggles with the RC.  For the FPV racer an antennae (and additional RX module) is required since it is analog.  Because you have to switch back and forth between the two systems, the antennae and module may need to be removed.  The goggles have a switch to change between analog and digital that can be used but is often forgotten.  And on the racer itself sometimes the antennae is removed.

Be aware that turning on the transmitter or receiver with the TX or RX module live and no antennae will burn out the TX or RX module.

Hope this helps!  They are a blast in both cases.  The first time I flew my P3 with goggles, they were so good I was able to land my P3 on the picnic table next to me with no problem.  If you need to adjust to the goggles with the FPV racer, wear the goggles while someone else flies the racer and you will soon get the hang of it.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-4-29
Use props
jaraxle1zx
lvl.1

United States

Bennyboy1983 Posted at 2016-4-29 15:11
I like you bought the p4, love it!. Had a few small issues but with help on here etc I've sorted it  ...

Thx for the reply.........I'm really looking into that racer.
Seems like it turns and stops on a dime and is stupid fast.

What is flight time? What battery did you go with?
I'm thinking on getting the one ready to fly out of the box. I really don't have time to put one together
2016-4-30
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

I just ordered an Emax nighthawk pro 280 racer. 600$ cad for all the gear and everything
2016-4-30
Use props
jaraxle1zx
lvl.1

Kinda got bored with the phantom 4, don't get me wrong it's a great platform to take vids and pics. And travel out a great distance.
Flying up and taking the same pics around my house time after time gets old for me.

Just got a fpv racer........Wow!!!! For now this seems a lot more enjoyable.
And I thought the p4 had some punch out. And speed. I just didn't know.
2016-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules