If you have problems with video transmission/screen freezing etc
12Next >
41615 40 2016-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

United States

So I'm reading a lot a little bit here and there in so many threads about people having problems with their transmitter and their video feed.  Seems like most complaints are due to either video skipping, freezing, pixelations, weak RC signal, signal lost, etc.... I have a question for you guys, what device are you hooking up to your transmitter?  Are you using an iOS device or an Android device?

The reason why I ask is because I've nagged about this issue for several weeks and I think I've found the link.  I've had all of those problems I listed above, and at first I thought it was because of my microSD card because it only happened when I put a certain card in.  Then it turned out not to be the card, so I returned that P4 and got another P4.  Well, I changed a few things, and everything was OK at first with the new bird.  But then the problem started again.  This time I ran some tests with the microSD that came with the bird, and several other ones, and they were still giving me problems.  So, I swapped that one out for a 3rd P4.  At this point, I was starting to hate the way the DJI Go app for Android and decided to buy an iPad Mini 4 that I only use for my Phantom 4.  Well everything was great, no more problem.  It was too good.  So I figured I'll put my Galaxy Note 5 back in and see how it handles.  Well, guess what, every previous problem I had came back.  But, when i put the iPad back in the saddle, no problem.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but it definitely has something to do with my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and/or the Android DJI Go app.  If you are having problems, and you have another device available (borrow your family's phone or ipad or tablet), can you test out with the other device and see if you're still having the same problem?   Please share what devices you are using.

ThanX!
2016-4-28
Use props
Khsalum83
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3862808 ft
United States

I have the same issues with my iPhone 5 purchased 10/2012. I assume it's because the processor just doesn't have the juice to keep up with a live 720p feed, and your iPad mini 4  is likely just more up to the task.
2016-4-28
Use props
randymajors
lvl.1

I had the same problems on both iPhone 5s and 6s, and these things fixed it for me:

In dji GO app:
- Ensure "Enable Hardware Decoding" in General Settings is set to On
- Disable Video Cache in General Settings
- Lower "Image Transmission Quality" to lowest setting under Custom in HD settings

Before you fly, in iOS:
- Shut down all background apps that are running
- Turn on Airplane Mode (be sure you've cached the map in the dji App for wherever you're flying before you do this)
- In iOS Settings, General, turn off Background App refresh

You could try doing some combination of these and see if it works, but I do all of the above and video transmission works consistently well and is of good quality on both iPhone 5s and 6s and with both Phantom 3 Pro and Phantom 4.

Hope this helps
Randy
-

2016-4-28
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Make sure debugging is enabled
2016-4-28
Use props
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

United States

Khsalum83@hotma Posted at 2016-4-29 03:27
I have the same issues with my iPhone 5 purchased 10/2012. I assume it's because the processor just  ...

actually, my Galaxy Note 5 has a very power processor, so it should be able to handle the application if the iPad Mini can handle.....debugging and developers mode on...so the only thing I can come up with is either Android or the app
2016-4-28
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Interesting.. so perhaps DJI app is a bit of a resource hog, and when either the storage or the cpu are just not as available as they should be it doe snot work well? I definitely feel that with some of my tests, the iPad does work better, but my Android phone has GPS and other things I want... just cannot win!
2016-4-28
Use props
James'ik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126804 ft
Poland

I've had similar issues on my Nexus 7. Actually it got to a point where it wouldn't connect at all. After a lengthy battle I've found a solution. It is Google that for some strange reason is trying to destroy Android. It was really good but then Google turned just like that Microsoft AI bot and started killing its own product. Here's what you need to do:
1. Open Google Play Store, go to settings and DISABLE apps auto update
2. Go to installed apps, ALL tab and scroll down until you see Google Connectivity Services
3. Uninstall any updates (revert to the version that came with your version of Android)
4. Scroll down to Google Play Services
5. Uninstall any updates (revert to the version that came with your version of Android)
Exit everything, reboot your device and enjoy great, smooth operation.
On my Nexus 7 I have enables local caching, debugging is off and I get great performance, no crashes, no problems. The DJI Go app starts automatically the moment I turn my RC on and connects to the camera a few seconds after the aircraft boots up. I get very little delay and I love it!

Good luck!
2016-4-28
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

James'ik Posted at 2016-4-28 19:37
I've had similar issues on my Nexus 7. Actually it got to a point where it wouldn't connect at all.  ...

and how do you revert back to the previous versions of the app? it doesn't clearly say where you say to go.
2016-4-28
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I use 2 devices to fly.  A Samsung Galaxy S 5 and an Nvidia Shield tablet.  I don't use these devices for anything but flying my Phantoms, and I have no extra software installed on either one.  No sim card even.  I always fly in airplane mode,  and I always use the developer option of no background apps.  I never experience the problems you discussed.  I also use both Litchi and the Dji-Go app.
2016-4-28
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

randymajors Posted at 2016-4-29 03:39
I had the same problems on both iPhone 5s and 6s, and these things fixed it for me:

In dji GO app:

Yes the background app refresh uses a lot of system resources
2016-4-28
Use props
James'ik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126804 ft
Poland

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-4-29 01:56
and how do you revert back to the previous versions of the app? it doesn't clearly say where you s ...

When you uninstall updates it reverts to the version that came with your version of Android. It even says so when you tap on uninstall. You'll see a pop-up that says something like "Uninstall all updates and revert to the original version?" or something like that. Just confirm and that's all.
Just remember to reboot your device for the changes to take full effect. It doesn't always work without a reboot.
Oh, btw, it might actually make your device a lot more responsive and it will probably fix any connectivity issues you might have like unstable Wi-Fi, disconnects, low transfer speed, no mobile data and so on.
2016-4-29
Use props
gioffa
lvl.3
Flight distance : 260381 ft
Italy

I use iPad mini 4 : excellent!!!
2016-4-29
Use props
joey.lopina
lvl.3
Flight distance : 498839 ft

How would one explain it if it only happened on my P4 using my Galaxy S5 but didn't happen with the same device flying my P3A?
2016-4-29
Use props
joey.lopina
lvl.3
Flight distance : 498839 ft
United States

randymajors Posted at 2016-4-28 12:39

In dji GO app:

Where is this section in the Go app?
2016-4-29
Use props
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

My take away from everything I've read is that DJI Go I'd a huge resource hog and it doesn't like to share.  My question is does having internet or cellular service make a difference in what the app does while you're flying?  I've been flying with my iPad Mini 4 without any network and it been doing fine. I figured all the GPS coordinations and trackings are done by the RC and the bird themselves. So what more will being connected ad to your flying experience?
2016-4-29
Use props
randymajors
lvl.1

meetjoeasian Posted at 2016-4-30 07:38
My take away from everything I've read is that DJI Go I'd a huge resource hog and it doesn't like to ...

I always turn off wi-fi and cellular.  
The only thing I've noticed you miss with them off is that the map won't update in the GO app (which is why you should cache the map while you're still connected). (The other thing I guess you would miss is YouTube live streaming...but I'm not interested in that personally)
GPS or capturing video/pics etc is not affected by wifi and cellular being off.

And with wi-fi and cellular off you don't have the risk that an incoming phone call somehow disrupts your flight.

2016-5-1
Use props
randymajors
lvl.1

joey.lopina Posted at 2016-4-30 05:27
Where is this section in the Go app?

Which part are you asking about?  I tried to list which section/menu each item was in in the original response.  Let me know if I missed something though.
2016-5-1
Use props
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

United States

...so in conclusion, I've found out that when my microSD card has 4/5gb+ of photos on it, it lags and weakens my video transmission....I transferred all of my photos to my computer and put the empty card back into the P4, and it went back to normal.  Normal which is no more freezing, no more skipping, no more LOST SIGNAL
2016-5-2
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

meetjoeasian Posted at 2016-4-28 15:05
actually, my Galaxy Note 5 has a very power processor, so it should be able to handle the applicat ...

yes but the GPU isn't support natively, so it's using software decode. This will cause the issue above. That is the problem with android. All the different hardware versions makes it very hard to support hardware decoding on all devices.
2016-5-2
Use props
ric8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 954665 ft
Australia

Hey there, When I brought my PH4 I brought a iPad mini 4 for use with it, I have had it now for 6 weeks and totally glitch free.
2016-5-2
Use props
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

United States

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2016-5-2 23:25
yes but the GPU isn't support natively, so it's using software decode. This will cause the issue a ...

AH...so you are confirming that the iOS app is superior to the Android's....so my question to you, and I'm sure a lot of the pilots will want to know, is which Android device do you recommend?  Or, what can we do to ensure we get a smooth signal?  
2016-5-2
Use props
ric8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 954665 ft
Australia

I also use my Samsung S7 and no problems at all
2016-5-2
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

meetjoeasian Posted at 2016-5-2 08:45
AH...so you are confirming that the iOS app is superior to the Android's....so my question to you, ...

Best android tablet to date is still the NVidia shield. Even with hardware with better spec it still is the smoothest tablet for android.

Imho iOS is the smoothest out there but if your stuck and don't want to come over to the darkside get a shield, only $200.
2016-5-2
Use props
bikkelrealg2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 481175 ft
Netherlands

randymajors Posted at 2016-4-28 21:39

In dji GO app:

"- Lower "Image Transmission Quality" to lowest setting under Custom in HD settings"

I dont have this option in DJI GO android or is it only IOS?
2016-5-2
Use props
mark.mwilliams7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1235738 ft
United Kingdom

bikkelrealg2 Posted at 2016-5-2 17:54
"- Lower "Image Transmission Quality" to lowest setting under Custom in HD settings"

I dont have  ...

You need to change the region of your device, as you are in Europe it's not there what I have done is set my iOS iPad to US to get that
2016-5-2
Use props
bikkelrealg2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 481175 ft
Netherlands

mark.mwilliams7 Posted at 2016-5-2 21:47
You need to change the region of your device, as you are in Europe it's not there what I have done ...

thx, it works now
2016-5-3
Use props
randymajors
lvl.1

bikkelrealg2 Posted at 2016-5-3 00:54

I dont have  ...

Interesting...  I didn't know the answer to why you don't have that option but looks like mark.mwilliams7 has something you can try.
2016-5-3
Use props
fanscb673c27
Banned

India

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-6-18
Use props
kou
lvl.1

China

Here is what I do when I find out my iPad screen frozen.
First, I will press and hold both "Home" and "Power" bottons to hard reset my iPad. If my iPad still can't work, I will use iTunes to restore my iPad device. This methods perform well to fix iPad, iPod and iPhone stuck on Apple logo or in recovery mode, white screen or any other screen frozen issues.

2017-8-29
Use props
fans092ffac7
New
Flight distance : 230236 ft
United States

bikkelrealg2 Posted at 2016-5-2 08:54

I dont have this option in DJI GO android or is it only IOS?

I did see this in my app. I had the same issues with an LG tablet. Went out and bought a Samsung Tablet A. Better but still had issues with bad video quality. Just bit the bullet and got an iPad. Crossing my fingers. Will try it tomorrow if the weather is good.
2017-8-29
Use props
Imovetheearth
lvl.3
United States

randymajors Posted at 2016-4-28 11:39

In dji GO app:

I am trying some of your suggestions, however in my general settings, I don't see "enable hardware decoding". I am flying the P4.
2017-8-30
Use props
santofilme
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35758 ft
Brazil

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2016-5-2 07:51
Best android tablet to date is still the NVidia shield. Even with hardware with better spec it still is the smoothest tablet for android.

Imho iOS is the smoothest out there but if your stuck and don't want to come over to the darkside get a shield, only $200.

Is this still true about the Nvidia Shield? I read that last android OS is crashing a lot the Dji Go App.
2017-11-21
Use props
fans0fce35f1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11965 ft
France

In dji GO app:

Hello, I have set the IOS settings on my ipad mini, and also the DJIGO application as James'ik said, except that I have not found "Enable hardware decoding" in General Settings. But the result is interesting after a quick first test: more green bands and image freeze during the flight. This would already be a big step forward. This is an ipad mini2 16GB of memory not quite young. Good job James' ik!
2017-11-23
Use props
GaryFlorida
lvl.1
Flight distance : 129373 ft

maybe a late reply to the forum above but i was having every day problems with loss of feed to my smartphone.  would have to reboot, whilst I hovered.....
always seemed to happen after a lot of still photos, or panoramas, and sometime video setting would freeze.   and then the screen would.
I DID NOTICE :   on a few occasions on the left side of screen a yellow box with the words CPU OVERLOAD
BEFORE;  I used iPhone 6(A8 processor) + Mavic RC + Air
AFTER:   I bought an iPhone 8Plus(A11 processor) + Mavic RC+ same Air
PROBLEM SOLVED.   Have had zero failures , even with new distance records for me.

Conclusion:   it's "how much processing power does my phone have" that is key.   It's NOT the radio(WiFi) or remote or drone.  
2018-9-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GaryFlorida Posted at 2018-9-15 22:06
maybe a late reply to the forum above but i was having every day problems with loss of feed to my smartphone.  would have to reboot, whilst I hovered.....
always seemed to happen after a lot of still photos, or panoramas, and sometime video setting would freeze.   and then the screen would.
I DID NOTICE :   on a few occasions on the left side of screen a yellow box with the words CPU OVERLOAD

'Conclusion:   it's "how much processing power does my phone have" that is key.   It's NOT the radio(WiFi) or remote or drone.  '

Correct. But sadly people come to all sorts of erroneous conclusions about what causes the problem.
2018-9-15
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-15 22:54
'Conclusion:   it's "how much processing power does my phone have" that is key.   It's NOT the radio(WiFi) or remote or drone.  '

Correct. But sadly people come to all sorts of erroneous conclusions about what causes the problem.

I have found when my iPad Mini starts acting up pixilating and green stripes across the screen, etc.

I have been able to correct the problem by uninstalling DJi Go4. Doing a HARD reboot. Then reinstalling the DJi4 app.

As said, stop all apps running in the back ground and FLY
2018-9-16
Use props
GaryFlorida
lvl.1
Flight distance : 129373 ft

ATJ Posted at 2018-9-16 06:24
I have found when my iPad Mini starts acting up pixilating and green stripes across the screen, etc.

I have been able to correct the problem by uninstalling DJi Go4. Doing a HARD reboot. Then reinstalling the DJi4 app.

You may also be able to fix the problem just by quitting the DJI Go app.
A full-on reboot may not be necessary.  BUT, it still takes time while you hover....somewhere.

Depending on your Mini, you might have the same A8 processor as my now replaced iPhone 6 had.
The problem still points to a too-weak processor for the job.

The DJI Go app is rather huge, running about 500Mb on an iPhone.  It certainly appears to be a processor hog as well.   There's a LOT of telemetry arriving into the remote from the drone to be handled by your "smart device," whether it be iOS, iPad Mini, or maxi, or Android.
2018-9-17
Use props
tjalex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

meetjoeasian Posted at 2016-5-2 07:22
...so in conclusion, I've found out that when my microSD card has 4/5gb+ of photos on it, it lags and weakens my video transmission....I transferred all of my photos to my computer and put the empty card back into the P4, and it went back to normal.  Normal which is no more freezing, no more skipping, no more LOST SIGNAL

The lost signal could alos happen if the usb cable which connecting the phone and the controller is very old. I had this problems when i bought a new cable.. the problem was over...
2018-9-26
Use props
djiuser_jg11Pf7ICLxv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 522 ft
Argentina

Hi! I have a phantom 4 pro controlled from a samsung tab S tablet, with Android version 6.0.1

I have problems with the transmission of the image on the tablet, it freezes or partially loses, and I would like to know what I should do to solve this? looking in the forum, I activated the debug usb, but it does not solve it anyway. Other modifications that I have read, such as lowering the resolution of the transmission, I have not seen available in my DJI go 4.

Thanks in advance for your response! My name is Sergio and I am writing from Sierra de la Ventana, Argentina
2019-4-26
Use props
fanse9633c73
lvl.2
Flight distance : 472005 ft
  • >>>

In dji GO app:

I had always problems in what I simply did was go to the HD setting on top of the screen Hit it go from 2.8 megabytes change it to 5.8 That's your problem you're fixed good to go
2019-10-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules