P4 Crash w video/flight log - what happened!?!
1776 23 2016-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Alright, can somebody please explain what might have happened here? I would have uploaded the .txt flight log, except upon crashing, the battery popped out, thus not saving a flight log on the aircraft. It did save the video, and the flight log in the DJI Go App (synced). In the above videos, you can see it swaying from side to side with zero stick input, then when I try to correct it and fly forward about 10 feet and up about 5 feet, it slingshot my drone backwards, 20+ feet past my home point, clipping a tree, then continuing backwards into a brick wall. Here are the facts:
-I was in P mode the entire time
-I had 12 satellites connected
-I did a succesful compass calibration right before this flight.
-I updated the DJI Go app to 2.8.0 right before this flight.
-I have flown at this location 12+ times
-on the screen, you can see my readings for altitude are negative, even though in the recorded video from the camera, you can see that is not the case, as there is nowhere to go down in altitude at my location, and i actually did an auto take off, so it should have read 3.9 ft (or whatever auto-take off altitude is).
-You can see once it starts going backwards (after I initially tried to fly backwards slightly), I do push the joystick back shortly twice. This is because I freaked out because of the speed my drone was all of a sudden traveling in, but the drone was not responding to my joystick movements and just continuing backwards, even when pressing the joysticks to move the drone forward (joystick sensitivity set high). If it saved a flight log (.txt), I would upload it to see what happened, but unfortunately, these two videos are my only clues. I have never experienced anything like this before. I realized I pushed the joystick backwards right before it shot backwards, but the time I had it pressed to go backwards SHOULD NOT have caused it to do what it did, as it never has before. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
David

2016-4-28
Use props
gtokarsk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Your prop touched a branch? You saw the quad, all we see is moving back; but, a small branch with a very fine twig could do this, and from where you were standing you would not have seen it. NEVER fly over, under, or even near trees unless you have a really good view of all the details and know exactly what flightplan you got, and can complete it relatively well, without hitting something. If you like flying this way, invest into prop guards.
I am assuming all this, based on the limited data I got.
Hope not too much damage!
GT
2016-4-28
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Upload the flight log from your device to Phantomhelp.com and post a link to the data here.
2016-4-28
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-28 20:57
Upload the flight log from your device to Phantomhelp.com and post a link to the data here.

I can't, it did not record a flight log onto the aircraft, since the battery popped out when it crashed. I checked, there is no .txt flight log file in the aircraft.
2016-4-28
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Looks like you may have hit 2 branches.  One at 14 seconds for sure. And another at the end. Or the prop broke the rest of the way because the drone flipped back.
2016-4-28
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

The back flip makes it look like the one of the rear props broke off (right rear) because that was the one that took the hit from the branch at 14 seconds.
2016-4-28
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

i just watched your video of your flight on my com and not on my phone.     you hit the tree at 14 seconds.   you can see the tree on the right side of the path when you straighten back out at 15/16 seconds.   the hit at 14 seconds was pretty fierce,  it messed up something internally for sure.    with looking at the flight log, its clear you were trying to fly forward but the drone kept flying back.   

i really have no idea why the drone kept flying back with you pushing forward.  only thing i can think of is possibly obstacle avoidance was possibly trying to avoid what it was perceiving as a potential crash with your inputs.     previous post about prop breaking was incorrect, but in the video you did hit another branch at 17 seconds.    i went thru your video frame by frame and saw your house you hit.   can see the bricks,  window, and gutter down spout.   

without the flight logs can't see the errors from the flight itself.   weather the logs show compass/imu error or gps issue.   you should be able to pull the logs off the p4.  

Can someone post a link to how to export and upload the logs?   
2016-4-28
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-4-28 18:45
I can't, it did not record a flight log onto the aircraft, since the battery popped out when it cr ...

Use the one that is on your device. You can hook up your device to your computer and browse to the DJI-Go directory and look in Flight Logs.
2016-4-28
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your crash, David. I'd suggest you to download the flight data from the drone and send them to support.us@dji.com for data analysis.
2016-4-28
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-29 03:22
Sorry for your crash, David. I'd suggest you to download the flight data from the drone and send the ...

now there is a .DAT file on the aircraft from the day I crashed, just not a .txt flight log of it. Would it be sufficient to send you guys the .DAT file, or do you need the .txt file?
2016-4-29
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-29 00:06
i just watched your video of your flight on my com and not on my phone.     you hit the tree at 14 s ...

yes, everything you said is correct. I clipped a tree before running into, yes that was my house. there is no flight log on the aircraft itself, but Kneepuck is telling me there should be one on my tablet (which I did not see yesterday), so i'm going to check that out to see if there's one that I can upload for everybody to see.
2016-4-29
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-29 00:23
Use the one that is on your device. You can hook up your device to your computer and browse to the ...

Thank you Kneepuck, you were absolutely correct.
Flight Log - Healthy Drones
2016-4-29
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-4-29 19:13
now there is a .DAT file on the aircraft from the day I crashed, just not a .txt flight log of it. ...

The .DAT file from the drone. Please send them to support.us@dji.com as well as your DJI account. Make sure that you have synced the flight records via DJI GO
2016-4-29
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-29 03:22
Sorry for your crash, David. I'd suggest you to download the flight data from the drone and send the ...

I found a .txt flight log on the tablet, and uploaded it to healthydrones and linked it to this thread. It doesn't seem to have a lot of information , would sending you guys the .DAT and the .txt help?
2016-4-29
Use props
SajidShah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 627539 ft
Portugal

By Video Visual Its seems its Pilot Eror cause ur Prop hits tree 2 times ...
but upload logs and send As DJI-Paladin Told U
2016-4-29
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-29 07:31
The .DAT file from the drone. Please send them to  as well as your DJI account. Make sure that you ...

Thank you Paladin, the .DAT is uploading to my email as I type this.
2016-4-29
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

SajidShah Posted at 2016-4-29 07:41
By Video Visual Its seems its Pilot Eror cause ur Prop hits tree 2 times ...
but upload logs and se ...

yea im talking about before the props hit the tree, it was out of control. If you watched the videos above you would clearly see that. My altitude is -10 ft for freaking sake. And, I only clipped one tree, the other was a brick wall where the video/flight log ended.
2016-4-29
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-29 07:31
The .DAT file from the drone. Please send them to  as well as your DJI account. Make sure that you ...

everything is sent and synced. Thanks Paladin.
2016-4-29
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

Not the best place to flight where you were sir. How many times we repeat that you need free space all around ? Too bad for you.
2016-4-29
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Yea, that's my house, I was just doing a test flight before going out over the lake. Anyways, I just flew in the same location (carefully), and nothing strange happened. I did get a notification on my screen saying my firmware didn't match (a message I didn't get yesterday) and it told me to slide to update. I did, and something updated successfully (I'm guessing the RC). I got the FW notification after sitting on the ground pre-take off for about 5 minutes, with the bird on. I didn't see any new FW messages on here or the DJI site?
2016-4-29
Use props
roark
lvl.1

Canada

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-4-29 14:35
Yea, that's my house, I was just doing a test flight before going out over the lake. Anyways, I just ...

how bad was the damage? will you have to send it in?
2016-4-29
Use props
TK-421
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-29
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

TK-421 Posted at 2016-4-29 16:23
I've read that the circling motion (at the beginning of the video) is due to a bad compass or bad co ...

I calibrated the compass because yes, I previously (right before this flight) tried to fly in a location near there, but with too much magnetic interference, so much so it wouldn't let me fly. That's the reason I did a fresh calibration before flying. I thought better safe than sorry...You are the first person to give me an idea of what that circling motion might be, thank you TK. My P4s been doing it for 3 weeks now, not every flight though, it picks it's times. I appreciate your input.
2016-4-30
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

roark Posted at 2016-4-29 16:16
how bad was the damage? will you have to send it in?

that's the funny thing, there is no damage as far as I can tell (besides two busted props). I sent in all the flight log information to DJI for analysis, and they didn't analyze anything. They just emailed me last night and all they said was "We recommend you send it in to one of our North American Support Centers for diagnosis and repair. I was like, why did I have to send you all of that information then? I thought that was to diagnosis it? I had a succesful flight yesterday at this very same location (carefully of course), So i'm not sending in my Phantom unless they can tell me a reason why it needs to be sent in, and they didn't.
2016-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules