Issues when flying in cold & high altitude
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nicolas.w.roth
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28556 ft
Switzerland

Hello
yesterday I have been flying my P3A in high altitudes and cold. Basically I was at 3200m and the temperature was approx -5/-10 degrees (celsius, which is less than 20F).

Obviously battery life was shorter than when flying when it is warmer, but I encountered a voltage issue. The app flashed at one point mentioning a volatge issue and saying the drone was now in automatic landing mode. Since it was not too far away, I was able to bring it back closer to me and it landed safely.

I would like to use your experience to answer the below questions:

1) is flying in cold weather very unsafe? If yes, what are the remedies / precautions?
2) What was exactly the voltage issue?

I also learned something: you can calibrate your Phantom is your skis are close to it!

Bonus: quick pic from where I was...

cheers
Nicolas

DJI_0070_resized.JPG
2016-4-29
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

If you play back the flight in your flight records, it will show you the warnings again so you can read them properly.  That will tell you what the voltage issue was.

i suspect the battery was too cold & you were trying to draw too much power from it.

Are you on the latest firmware?  If so, you should have also had warnings about limiting propulsion & low battery temperature.

The battery should be warmed up to 25°C before flight, which can be achieved by hovering for 2-3 minutes & watching the temperature rise in the app.
2016-4-29
Use props
nicolas.w.roth
lvl.2
Switzerland

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-29 13:05
If you play back the flight in your flight records, it will show you the warnings again so you can r ...

Thanks Nigel. I am on latest firmware for the RC and the app, not the drone itself (for some reason I am reluctant to update as I read some bad stories on the latest firmware).

Thanks for the hovering tip. I thought that starting the drone was enough.

cheers
2016-4-29
Use props
Toorboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 657382 ft
United Kingdom

nicolas.w.roth Posted at 2016-4-29 12:09
Thanks Nigel. I am on latest firmware for the RC and the app, not the drone itself (for some reaso ...

when its cold I wear two jumpers and always keep two batteries down the sleeves
to warm them to body temp before flying   
2016-4-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nicolas.w.roth Posted at 2016-4-29 12:09
Thanks Nigel. I am on latest firmware for the RC and the app, not the drone itself (for some reaso ...

" (for some reason I am reluctant to update as I read some bad stories on the latest firmware)."

Which version is the aircraft at ? It may be wise updating the aircraft as there was a battery firmware update in v1.6 to overcome some of these problems.
2016-4-29
Use props
nicolas.w.roth
lvl.2
Switzerland

Aardvark Posted at 2016-4-29 14:17
" (for some reason I am reluctant to update as I read some bad stories on the latest firmware)."

W ...

thanks Aardvark. I have to check the current firmware. If it is below 1.6, I will follow your advice and upgrade.
2016-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules