P4 Issues from Apple Stores?
1963 20 2016-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone1Maf
lvl.1

United States

Hi All,

I purchased a new P4 a few weeks ago eager to get flying.  When I took it home all seemed well and I proceeded with firmware updates, etc.  Took it outside to try and fly it and one prop wouldn't move.  Back to Apple.  Returned it and go another one. Took it home.  Opened it up and all the packaging was different.  And fingerprints all over the lens and gimbal.  I got the dreaded gimbal squeek.  I tried IMU and auto calibration and this did not correct the matter.  Back to Apple I went.  On third drone from Apple, same thing.  Different packaging and no plastics on RC or DJI logo and you guessed it more fingerprints!!!!  Dreaded gimbal noise again.  

I am not a complainer, but my buddy waited and bought his from B&H Photo and had no issues at all.  I have another friend that bought one from an online drone retailer, no issues.  Does Apple just have a bad bunch?  Are these issues being worked on by DJI?  I'd love to ask them directly, but the Customer Service is atrocious.  And feedback from the community would be great.  

2016-4-29
Use props
TJ10
lvl.2

Canada

Reading through the forums it does seem like Apple is getting the bad batches. I'd try Best Buy or a local dealer. Sometimes local dealers offer bundle deals for extra batteries, etc. I bought mine from Best Buy a few weeks ago. Looked at some dealers through the DJI store and noticed one sold the P3A with an extra battery, so i contacted best buy and got a price match. Free battery!!
2016-4-29
Use props
Drone1Maf
lvl.1

United States

TJ10 Posted at 2016-4-29 12:47
Reading through the forums it does seem like Apple is getting the bad batches. I'd try Best Buy or a ...

That's pretty sweet.  Sorry part for me is I bought it with some gift cards I had.  So I am stuck with Apple.  I wish there was a way to know when they are replenished with newer models.  
2016-4-29
Use props
scarper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59272 ft
Australia

open them in the shop and dont leave til you are happy
2016-4-29
Use props
leonardk12.comc
lvl.2

My Apple unit is great.
2016-4-29
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-29
Use props
Damager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9052 ft
United States

Anyone on here would be completely guessing whether one retailer is having more issues than another.  It seems to be a complete crap shoot to me.
2016-4-29
Use props
Drone1Maf
lvl.1

United States

Damager Posted at 2016-4-29 14:36
Anyone on here would be completely guessing whether one retailer is having more issues than another. ...

Well, Apple was the first carrier to have the P4.  So it does make sense that any first run issue would be with their stock.  Problem for me is now I am waiting to figure out when a new stock arrives.
2016-4-29
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-29
Use props
Drone1Maf
lvl.1

United States

Morph1 Posted at 2016-4-29 15:01
maybe that was a bad idea to buy it that early lol

Agreed.  First time buyer...  
2016-4-29
Use props
leonardk12.comc
lvl.2

The Apple store has been given you what others returned defective, finger prints, package missing, etc. This time tell them you want an NEW NON OPENED box. If they do not have one ask about there next shipment. Is there another Apple store close. Sounds like a local store issue, being to lazy to do the paper work to return defective products.
2016-4-29
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Return it and try again.
2016-4-29
Use props
gioffa
lvl.3
Flight distance : 260381 ft
Italy

I bought the P4 on shop.dji.com okay
2016-4-29
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

Morph1 Posted at 2016-4-29 11:31
Question to DJI , what is that gimbal noise ????  why is it there? I mean you guys heard about it  ...

I remember "DJI" saying it was normal but now they're issuing RMA's if you have a  squeaky Gimbal which I do have on mine, I got my P4 from the Apple Store.
2016-4-29
Use props
malvern
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'm a happy Apple customer with Zero P4 issues.
2016-4-30
Use props
dtabler88
lvl.1
Flight distance : 566043 ft
United States

If you think Apple is bad (they are really bad) With until you have to deal with DJI customer Service. IT's beyond frustrating. The mind set is Chinese, (look where they are made). We as customers are a bother to them. Hopefully you paid with a credit card. I'm returning my drone and waiting until they get their act together
2016-4-30
Use props
dtabler88
lvl.1
Flight distance : 566043 ft
United States

Drone1Maf Posted at 2016-4-30 01:02
That's pretty sweet.  Sorry part for me is I bought it with some gift cards I had.  So I am stuck  ...

Maybe go to an Apple store. Best to make an appointment to see the store Manager. Hopefully you get some one over 18 years old who will help
2016-4-30
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Doesn't sound right to me. Try the Apple online store if you have to stick with them. I use B&H all the time and never have any issues. Their customer service is excellent and inventory is immense.
2016-4-30
Use props
markdaviesmedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 464961 ft
United States

Bought my P4 from Apple retail. No problems.

I ended up returning my iPad Mini 2. I was past my 14 day return. They were great.

I get a little gimbal squeak on my P4. It has no effect on performance.

About a year (and a half?) ago, I returned my P2 V+ for repairs to the gimbal after a crash. Service was fine.

As far as Apple getting the bad batches, retail distribution just doesn't work that way. My guess is Apple gets the foot traffic and also gets the returns that go along with it. They must not have a similar system for processing the DJI returns that they do their own products. Sounds like the open box units are just going back on the shelf. And I agree with you - that *is* bad practice.

-
2016-4-30
Use props
mactech
lvl.2
United States

Apple will not put returned units back on sale as new.  It is against the law to sell a previously opened unit as new.    DJI is sending to Apple, repackaged units that were previously sold and returned.  
2016-4-30
Use props
Drone1Maf
lvl.1

United States

I wonder how I can tell between a new unopened P4 and a refurbished/previously returned P4.  Nonetheless, I think I am going to wait it out or go back and open them all at the store until I find one that works correctly. The gimbal squeak while I understand doesn't effect performance, no one can really speak to the effect it will have long term.  If the ribbon is what is causing it, then the squeak is wear on the ribbon.  IMHO that's not good long term.  I'm just going to wait a month or so.  
2016-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules