Z-Axis tests
2896 22 2016-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shane_spencer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19534 ft
United States

Hi all, I got my Z-Axis from DJI yesterday (I bought it from the Chinese online store on 15th April - I'm in China) and so I thought I'd take it out yesterday afternoon and today for some tests. To be honest, first attempts did not look much better than without it fitted (someone even commented that it's worse!), but I tweaked the resistance this morning and tried again.

The manual says to adjust the knob on top until the Z-Axis is just above horizontal level. That is what I did yesterday. This morning, I loosened it up to below horizontal level, and it bounced around like a maniac. This was the key to more stability!

Here are today's tests:

And finally, a bonus:

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the Z-Axis (related to the X3 though, I don't have the X5)!

2016-4-30
Use props
Lofty Visions
lvl.2

Australia

Wow, it certainly smooths things out. Thanks for sharing
2016-4-30
Use props
Kent360
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Shane
Really really useful thanks
2016-4-30
Use props
rodAndTheCat
lvl.4

New Zealand

Thanks for bothering Shane. I use a $9000 steadicam and your results are on a par- so my order will go in as soon as I am convinced there is stock down here in New Zealand.
Thanks for sharing.
Rod and the cat
2016-4-30
Use props
nomad65
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Thank you for sharing .

2016-4-30
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
France

Thanks for sharing, looks really smooth

2016-4-30
Use props
shane_spencer
lvl.2
China

You're welcome, guys! It took a fair bit of adjusting, but I think I've found the "sweet spot" (for what I do, anyway)!
2016-4-30
Use props
efroggy
lvl.2

shane_spencer Posted at 2016-4-30 21:29
You're welcome, guys! It took a fair bit of adjusting, but I think I've found the "sweet spot" (for  ...

Thanks for the usefull tests.  But what is the outcome, below or above centerline?
2016-4-30
Use props
FabricioE
lvl.3

Venezuela

Seems to me that it really helps, but of course you can achieve a good result if you walk in a proper way ("ninja walking"). I guess it would be a nice tool for people that nor are used to work with gimbals(?)
2016-4-30
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

FabricioE Posted at 2016-4-30 16:05
Seems to me that it really helps, but of course you can achieve a good result if you walk in a prope ...

"...you can achieve a good result if you walk in a proper way ("ninja walking")...".

On a smooth surface, perhaps -- but not over uneven, undulating ground. That's why we need the Z_Axis device for the Osmo.
2016-4-30
Use props
Superbaso
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

great test and great results! Could you a try a walk in selfie mode?
2016-4-30
Use props
richard.silver
lvl.2

New Zealand

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-4-30 20:44
Thanks for bothering Shane. I use a $9000 steadicam and your results are on a par- so my order will  ...

I'm in NZ too and have been waiting 12 days already since placing (and paying for) my order LOL. Very impressed with what the Z-Axis can do though, looking at Shane's videos. Can wait to get mine. Whenever that will be...
2016-5-1
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Nice, footage looks nice and smooth, I to will be waiting for stock before getting mine
2016-5-1
Use props
nomad65
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Thank you again Shane , it would seem worth the wait !
2016-5-1
Use props
FabricioE
lvl.3

Venezuela

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-4-30 11:01
"...you can achieve a good result if you walk in a proper way ("ninja walking")...".

On a smooth  ...

Well, this was my first test to the Osmo. The very first time I tried it outdoors. As you can see the floor is made of medium and little size rocks and the shot is still steady, I even kind of felt in one shot that you can actually see in the video.

I know the new accessory would be a nice tool for some people, but if you try hard to get a proper walk then you probably find a good results.

Regards.

2016-5-1
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Thanks for all those comparison footage.
Technically, the Z-Axis would work best when it parallel to horizontal line. The real performance may depend on your operation and the relevant conditions.
2016-5-2
Use props
shane_spencer
lvl.2
United States

efroggy Posted at 2016-4-30 07:22
Thanks for the usefull tests.  But what is the outcome, below or above centerline?

I have it below the centre line...
2016-5-2
Use props
shane_spencer
lvl.2
United States

Superbaso Posted at 2016-4-30 23:51
great test and great results! Could you a try a walk in selfie mode?

I'm afraid I don't have time to make any more videos at the moment, sorry. :-(
2016-5-2
Use props
shane_spencer
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-2 02:27
Thanks for all those comparison footage.
Technically, the Z-Axis would work best when it parallel to ...

You're welcome! I agree, it may work differently depending on personal preference, the way people hold it, etc. For me, I've found what works, and I'm not moving that dial! By the way Adela, could you pass on a suggestion for me? I think having incremental markings on the side of the dial and a single marking on the arm would be beneficial in finding the sweet spot again should one move that dial around... Thanks!
2016-5-2
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

China

shane_spencer Posted at 2016-5-2 21:30
You're welcome! I agree, it may work differently depending on personal preference, the way people  ...

Thanks for your suggestion! I think it's a good one.
It's my pleasure and my duty to convey your message to our engineers. I'll have your suggestion recorded for our engineer's review.
Any more detail would be appreciated!
2016-5-2
Use props
john_willetts.h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-3 03:47
Thanks for your suggestion! I think it's a good one.
It's my pleasure and my duty to convey your  ...

I think the Z-axis is wonderful - when it works. I'm sure the reason is me, not the kit. I'm having problems finding the 'sweet spot' (the story of my life).

Could someone put together a proper training video,please?

jOHN
2016-5-8
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

john_willetts.h Posted at 2016-5-8 19:40
I think the Z-axis is wonderful - when it works. I'm sure the reason is me, not the kit. I'm havin ...

Hello!
I'll suggest you to review the Osmo_Z-Axis_Quick_Start_Guide_en.pdf at: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _Start_Guide_en.pdf

Hope you'll figure it out soon!
Any feedback would be appreciated!
2016-5-8
Use props
ronnyg1dc
lvl.1

Dominican Republic

Test 3 sold me. Thanks for posting.
2016-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now