New iPad Air 2, losing signal?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

I got a new iPad Air 2 and I love it, except for on my first flight, I have a noticeable lose of signal. It loses signal abruptly and then says that the drone is disconnected. Even in my video, there was a part when it disconnected when the bird started spinning fast for about 4 seconds. I think that I tried turning the bird around and back home but the arrow on the GPS map wasn't moving, but apareny the bird was moving causing the violent spin. Anyways, overall I liked the big iPad but could the size be blocking the antennas in some way? I was pointing the antennas correctly. Anyways, maybe someone has a thought.
2016-4-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

In theory, the display device has no effect on the operation of the aircraft, it is only for display purposes and to run the Go App, which is not entirely necessary to fly the aircraft.

However I also suspect the large metal plate that is is made of, so close to the antennas, might be influencing the signal, as you suggest.
2016-4-30
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-1 08:00
In theory, the display device has no effect on the operation of the aircraft, it is only for display ...

I wonder. It has to be unless the iPad Air 2 has this as a known issue? Hopefully someone has some experience with this.
2016-4-30
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

You could try a windsurfer to see if that negates the metal backing of the tablet. Though, the backing on my Acer Iconia 10 Tab is metal and I still get excellent distance. Maybe I'll try with my phone and see if distance increases?
2016-4-30
Use props
bfd300
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73661 ft
United States

Make sure your ch is set to auto and not 1 specific ch.  
2016-4-30
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

bfd300 Posted at 2016-5-1 09:34
Make sure your ch is set to auto and not 1 specific ch.

I get noticeably better distance with my iPhone 6 +, BUT until you mentioned this I forgot that I have the 32 Channel hack installed on it! I'll try installing the hack tomorrow on the new iPad mini and report back if this is the culprit.

All be told, I had lost signal with the iPad Air2 but never panicked! I had been practicing with the RTH feature and felt super comfortable when needing it. it performed flawlessly! Love it!
2016-5-1
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

G_MEZ_G Posted at 2016-4-30 18:52
I wonder. It has to be unless the iPad Air 2 has this as a known issue? Hopefully someone has some ...

I can tell you without reservation there is no issue using the iPad Air 2 wifi+cellular with a P3P.  That's all I have ever used with mine.  The screen sucks in bright sunlight in a HUGE way - but there are no issues with the connections between the P3P, controller or iPad.
2016-5-1
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer

I also use an Air 2 and don't see issues until around 3000'. I also have the wind surfers on there. I don't think I've actually flown w/o them (they look cool whether they work or not!) I just got a new iphone 6S+ and will see if I get any better distance with it and will let you know if I do. That would be interesting. Having confidence in RTH IS a good feeling. I used to bring my old P2V+ home by just turning off the controller. People say it is bad to do that, but it sure makes you feel better when you start seeing error messages or 'lost signal' messages!  Happy Flying!

Barney
2016-5-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Like the posters above, I have been using an Air 2 on my P3P since I got it and have never had an issue with range.
2016-5-1
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

So I "updated" my DJI app with the 32 Channel Hack on the iPad Air 2 and my P3P now flies exactly as the iPhone 6+. I will get he "Weak signal" at some point when flying to far but it won't go from flying fine to "Aircraft disconnected"!
2016-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules