Quo Vadis?
1218 14 2015-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
max
lvl.3

South Africa

Sadly, there seems to be a handful of features that we as end users were anticipating, that is currently not forthcoming.
Even some of the very very basics, like using an iPad is now seriously in question

Maybe we overestimated DJI, maybe we put our expectations to high, I just dont know anymore.

I don't fully understand how other drone manufacturers can launch drones with Follow me built in, a 4K Camera, full flight plan and waypoint functionality, almost bug free, longer flight times and even intelligent return to home, almost OVERNIGHT

DJI, I'm encouraging you to come to the party, FAST, dont let down your supportive and proud followers.

Props flying off, drones flying into walls and cars, Apps that does not work, updates out the box, these things are UNACCEPTABLE

Still really really hoping DJI sort out their product fast, but I must admit, I've started researching alternatives.
2015-1-17
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Please stop blowing things out of proportion.

1. DJI has said that they made a mistake in taking off the iPad app from the supported devices list.
2. DJI has also said that the new app will be in the App Store in a matter of days.
3. The current 0.9.1 version of the iPad app still works fine.
4. DJI never committed to follow me and waypoint. They said they were working to see how it could be implemented. Any failure to read the production spec sheet at the point of purchase should not be attributed to DJI
5. Props flying off and IMU issues - sad, but I've seen worse with PC software that have cost me more.
6. Which app doesn't work?
7. Updates out of the box? I'd have thought that was a GOOD thing - I'd want them to fix any issues in current firmware. Don't like it? Don't install the latest firmware, and enjoy whatever glitches it has.

Go get your hands on the 3DR Iris. I hope it makes you happier.
2015-1-17
Use props
david.spencer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7192 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thinking about cancelling and ordering an walkera if im honest
2015-1-17
Use props
metalios
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892703 ft
  • >>>
Italy

ghoonk Posted at 2015-1-17 19:17

1. DJI has said that they made a mistake in taking of ...

I think max is "on point."  This product was released prematurely. Production models should have been tested and the app issue should have been resolved prior to release.
2015-1-17
Use props
kp.iwsltd
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

ghoonk Posted at 2015-1-17 19:17

1. DJI has said that they made a mistake in taking of ...

Comments like yours just add more fuel to the fire.................
Perhaps dropping 3k plus for a item that doesn't work is ok for you, however this many people having issues is not ok.
2015-1-17
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Things that don't always work right:
1. Windows
2. New versions of Android / iOS
3. New cameras (Nikon's quite well known for this now)

I could go on. Or I could go out and fly my Inspire. Either way, I'm just suggesting putting things in perspective. If you guys aren't happy with DJI, cancel your order. Don't buy from them in future. Expect things to not work perfectly, wait for a few months for [insert company name here] to work out the bugs. Vote with your wallets. Boycott them if it pleases you guys. Or wait for them to sort things out.

3k isn't chump change. But it's not the end of the world, especially if you have 3k in the first place to plonk down on a first gen device.

DJI launched TWO versions of the Phantom 2 after I bought TWO P2s (one with a H3-2D, another with a H3-3D). I wish there was an upgrade path, but that's how it is in the world we live in today. DJI isn't hurting from complaints. If you guys don't want your Inspires, sell it - tons of people out there want one and can't get one because there's a huge shortage in the market.

You can curse DJI, yell at them, write complaints every day, tell the world how bad they are. Do what you will, but if you haven't already got an Inspire, cancel it if it makes you happy. You're responsible for your happiness. Not DJI.
2015-1-17
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

FLASHBACK...to a year ago....the new Phantom 2......battery indicator would not find battery....people saying that the Phantom 2 is no good due to battery problems....not gonna buy one. Where is the waypoint system they hyped? Well, it came out month's later.

I'm saying this so that we can keep some perspective. When you are an early adopter you realize that you are an early tester. That's the way it is....and that's the way it will stay. I had a gimbal problem with my first Inspire...my dealer took it back and exchanged it for a new Inspire...with the new firmware this Inspire is solid as a rock...and takes outstanding video and stills. It holds its position precisely.
2015-1-17
Use props
mjdmike
lvl.3

United States

ghoonk Posted at 2015-1-17 21:52
You can curse DJI, yell at them, write complaints every day, tell the world how bad they are. Do what you will, but if you haven't already got an Inspire, cancel it if it makes you happy. You're responsible for your happiness. Not DJI.

I agree, well said.
2015-1-17
Use props
max
lvl.3

South Africa

ghoonk Posted at 2015-1-17 21:52
Things that don't always work right:
1. Windows
2. New versions of Android / iOS

Hi Ghoonk

I've made a point of being supportive and constructive towards DJI, and try to keep perspective and respect towards the products, people and forum.  
There are teething problems with many problems, I accept that
Companies should however be aware that as consumers, we try to inspire them to do better, and point out small irritations to totally unacceptable and arrogant incidences.
Point in case, I'm typing right now on an iMac, because after spending more time maintaining Windows 8.1, I became unproductive with doing the actual work, so I switched to Apple, and for the first time in a long time, everything just works.  Sure I had to adapt, but so be it.  One can only give a company so much rope, then they hang themselves.
As for DJI, I love my PV2+, but if the inspire 1 seriously looks like WIndows 8.1 right now.

I have an obsession with quality, and respect companies that goes the extra mile to bring quality products to the very people who pays their salaries by purchasing their products, but at some point, I respect companies even more that says we fucked up, withdraw their products, fix it and re-launch a more mature product.

At the end of the day, I'm just saying the way forward may be a case of keeping an open mind, and also not be dogmatic just because its DJI, I still hope the Inspire 1 becomes what it was intended to, but right now, Its looking grim
2015-1-17
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I agree on a number of your points. That said, as an ex-product manager, I'd say this:

1. no product in modern times is launched without its share of glitches. Remember Antennagate? And Bendgate (which frankly, I don't believe - I've had an iPhone 6+ for months and it's still straight). Android had (and still has) some security issues. Let's not get started on Windows. OS X has worked admirably for me, but you'd remember it had its share of problems over the last few years. The same goes for SSDs (early adopters found that when they crash, there's no recovering them - all is lost). Seagate had its share of bad hard drives. Oh, and remember BIOS firmware? Adobe had it's share of problems that cost me time and money as well. And then there's the stuff that comes out of Kickstarted and Indiegogo   Maybe that's why my expectations as an early adopter tend to be rather low.

2. DJI was under incredible pressure to deliver - it was a no-win situation, as far as I can tell, as someone who pre-ordered the Inspire from many months back. They missed the early December schedule, the mid-December schedule, the Xmas delivery schedule, and people were kicking up a huge stink. Why? because they found an issue with the camera/gimbal and wanted to get it done right before getting HARDWARE into the hands of customers. Software is as good as it's going to get, and can be fixed along the way. Damned if they delivered on time, damned if they wanted to get it right. What you and I would have done, and why we'd have made that choice, can't be imposed on DJI.

It's great to have an open mind, and constructive feedback. I'm still not sure how things are grim - those of us who have Inspires are flying them (largely without issues), though I can share the concern of those who bought Inspires and don't have them just, just a recently purchased iPad which no has no app support for (for now). The upside for the latter group is that they can still cancel their orders if they aren't confident that the Inspire is 'ready' (by their standards). The alternative is to sell it to someone who wants an Inspire but is scheduled to get one much later, when the platform is more mature and stable
2015-1-17
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

metalios Posted at 2015-1-17 21:28
I think max is "on point."  This product was released prematurely. Production models should have b ...

On the app issue, I concur wholeheartedly - it should have been in the app store.
2015-1-17
Use props
max
lvl.3

South Africa

ghoonk Posted at 2015-1-18 01:25
I agree on a number of your points. That said, as an ex-product manager, I'd say this:

1. no produc ...

Great reply

you actually summarize the situation perfectly!

Thanks for a well thought through response.

I find myself on the fence right now, and take heart that you say a lot of people are flying them without issues, perhaps the dark comments have to much weight on the forum, and I would encourage people who has great flying experiences with the Inspire to drop a note and say so!

2015-1-17
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

max@kingsley.co Posted at 2015-1-18 01:32
Great reply

you actually summarize the situation perfectly!

I'm trying to stay objective about the whole thing. DJI isn't perfect, but let's face it - they made something many of us want. Some feel cheated or lied to because DJI doesn't have enough units to go around. Some are angry because they shelled out a few hundred dollars (I did) for an iPad Air 2 or mini 2/3 and now there's no Inspire, and no app. I feel that, I really do.

Those of us who have Inspires are either out flying, or cautious enough to ground it for the time being, until new firmware is released to sort out critical bugs (the expensive kind where your Inspire doesn't come home in one piece, or at all), prop guards are released (how effective they are doing to be will be another question - I sense more gnashing of teeth if that problem can't be solved - like how no smartphone manufacturer has found any way to prevent cracked screens), or some other thing.

It's not perfect for everyone, but let's keep in mind that DJI hosts this forum for Inspire users (current and soon-to-be) users to provide objective, clear, and constructive feedback/suggestions. It's also a useful channel for p2p support, but let's not turn it into what this was never supposed to be - a  platform for complaining and ranting.

Peace out.
2015-1-17
Use props
Arctictern
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Been flying my I1 today. Two flights around 14 minutes each and no real problems apart from slight drifting at very low altitudes. Take her up a bit and she's as solid as a rock. It's a little bit gusty where I have been flying so not sure if this is the cause with some low down turbulence. Hopefully I will get to fly it soon when there is very little wind, I've not had that pleasure yet. My other possible theory is that as I have been flying over snow maybe it has been confusing the sensors underneath when you get down low. Unbroken snow must have zero contrast. Maybe being able to switch those sensors off would be useful?

I really must say though that the flying experience with the I1is unbelievable compared to any other multi rotors that I have flown. It is extremely responsive and the manoeuvres you can carry out are beautifully smooth once you begin to get used to it. It's almost like flying a full size aircraft if you can imagine yourself in the flying seat. I think there is a steep learning curve to go through to master it's abilities but I should imagine the rewards will make it very worthwhile. Hopefully the issues will be ironed out over time and I'm quietly confident that they will be and we will have an incredible tool at our disposal. It is quite some piece of engineering compared to what we had available even a few months ago. Imagine what we will see in the future.

On another note I also think that there are not to many companies that will set up their own forum and allow their customers to say what they like about their products good or bad on it and take it all on the chin. I guess DJI's communication isn't what it could be sometimes but the interest that their products have attracted over the past year or so must have had them on an incredibly steep learning curve as well.

Anyway, got the batteries on charge and hope for a calm sunny day tomorrow. Oh the joys of Northern England in January!
2015-1-17
Use props
max
lvl.3

South Africa

Arctictern Posted at 2015-1-18 02:20
Been flying my I1 today. Two flights around 14 minutes each and no real problems apart from slight d ...

Great to read replies like this

I should be getting my Inspire Wednesday next week, and even if I have to go another tablet, I'll probably just use my iPad Air for something else, and get on with learning my Inspire.

What Android tablet has a really bright screen and good resolution?
I was thinking something with OLED display?

2015-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules