Rusting Phantom <1 Year Old!?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Medevon
lvl.2
New Zealand

So, I bought a Phantom in July last year, and a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a fair amount of rust appearing in the 'yaw' gimbal (between the gimbal motor and phantom).
The other day, I also noticed specs of rust on each of the motors, and rust has covered the nails in the gimal fan.

Would this be covered under warranty? Considering it is under a year old, and it's an expensive product, I'd expect it to be in good condition for the next couple of years.
What are your thoughts?
2016-5-1
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Not sure the gimbal fans nailed together!

But seriously, do you fly in a salty environment?  I don't think they'll cover rust, which could be down to lack of preventative maintenance, i.e. cleaning down after flying in salt spray by the sea.
2016-5-1
Use props
Medevon
lvl.2
New Zealand

nigelw Posted at 2016-5-2 06:00
Not sure the gimbal fans nailed together!

But seriously, do you fly in a salty environment?  I don' ...

I've flown at the beach twice. Being in NZ, I live 20-30km away from the shore. Plus, it can be pretty humid in the summer!
2016-5-1
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Medevon Posted at 2016-5-2 00:06
I've flown at the beach twice. Being in NZ, I live 20-30km away from the shore. Plus, it can be pr ...

Trouble is the gimbal & motors aren't sealed from the elements.  As you probably know, the sea air can be very corrosive due to the salt in sea spray.  Anything that doesn't get a wipe down starts to deteriorate almost immediately.  As it's out of their control, I wouldn't expect DJI to be very helpful.
2016-5-1
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

I'm not going to sugar coat it  but if it's salt air it's  neglect on your part , l know they make spray to help protect motorcycle chrome but don't know if it is safe for gimbal ribbon,  I'm sure someone  has some secrets
2016-5-1
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Post some photos?  Sounds like the whole thing has been exposed to something corrosive (do you have a meth lab at home?)    Sometimes acid from peoples fingers can damage metal and allow it to rust, but I don't think all the areas you described would be regularly touched.
2016-5-2
Use props
oks4n4
lvl.2

Indonesia

Yes yes yes... My P3P is also rusting in the same locations... Fan screw, gimbal chrome circle, and also some motor mount screws... I clean them using wd40 and it works, but the problem happen again and again. I put very thin of car oil, but it still rusting... DJI pls help... FTI i lived far away from beach.
2016-5-12
Use props
keongwee85
lvl.2
Flight distance : 331391 ft
Malaysia

any idea what should i do after i fly in sea area ? do i jus gently wipe with damp cloth on the gimbal ? what about the motor and areas which are hard access???
2016-5-12
Use props
gtokarsk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

So despite of what happens in this case, humidity can be a problem in general, especially near salt water environments, are there any tutotials specifically geared toward what to clean and how to make sure this does not happen? I am not concerned, being in Colorado, but if there are specific places to keep in mind to make sure that moisture in there is checked for often, and if there's a specific way to clean and protect those areas, I think users on the forums would appreciate some ideas on how to make sure we do not experience such issues.
GT
2016-5-12
Use props
fans2734bc8c
lvl.1

United States

Mine has the same problem. Talked to Rep at DJI, they said regular motor oil can be used. But like what oks4n4 said, doesn't seem to be helping the problem.
2016-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules