Video quality issue 4k
753 8 2016-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
matthewrayhaine
lvl.1
Flight distance : 989160 ft
United States

Ive tried all the different video resolutions. The camera on stock settings takes the best videos on 1920x1080 @ 60fps. Whenever i gor to 4k the quality is crap. Are there settings i can tweak?
2016-5-1
Use props
DroPro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1134285 ft

I am not really a fan of the camera quality neither, but I realize that the Phantoms are consumer drones.

My experience is that it is not worth shooting video in D-LOG mode, having everything flat and spend hours with post-processing. Instead, I switched back to Standard settings, much happier with that. I set white balance to manual though.

What I did find out: For 4K video to look good, you really need a 4K monitor. First, I didn't have one and asked "Where is the difference to 1080p?" I couldn't see a difference. With a 4K monitor, you can clearly see a difference! If you are still disappointed, I don't know without seeing a sample video.

2016-5-2
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

I prefer to shoot in D-LOG and add the color I want later...with Adobe Premiere, it takes minutes, not hours
2016-5-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The 4k playback might be poor because of playback device, it takes a little bit of processing/graphics power to play 4k smoothly, and also can be dependant on playback software used.

Try a couple of different pieces of software, or try SD card in another computer, see if there is any change.

4k plays well for me on an i5 4GB RAM Surface pro 3 using Microsoft 'Films & TV' playback. But it is very lumpy on same machine when using Quicktime pro.
2016-5-2
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

Any chain is only as strong as its weakest link, if every link in your chain is 4K you will have a 4K strong chain but if any one link in your chain is 1080 then your chain is only 1080 strong. If all your equipment is 4K (camera, micro sd card, editing equipment, video display) you'll results will be 4K quality. If even one piece is not 4K quality then you will be left with less than 4K results.
2016-5-2
Use props
DroPro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1134285 ft
Germany

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-2 13:07
I prefer to shoot in D-LOG and add the color I want later...with Adobe Premiere, it takes minutes, n ...

Well, applying the color correction may just take minutes, but rendering on a high-end iMac with FCPX still takes more than that. I thought going the perfectionist way would deliver a much bigger difference, but for me, it did not. I think it's really a question of personal taste.
2016-5-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Explain more in detail what you are talking about. You probably are talking about playback on your computer, and if so your computer is the problem and not the 4k camera, you just need a high power computer to be able to play 4k video.
2016-5-2
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

why not upload to youtube or vimeo and then replay it from there? i bet its the PC.
2016-5-2
Use props
matthewrayhaine
lvl.1
Flight distance : 989160 ft
United States

Playing back on Mac air. I'll try on my enterprise class workstation
2016-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules