Time to edit some video. Crap! Time to buy a computer!
2832 58 2016-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

craig.davis.850 Posted at 2016-5-4 11:30
Imovie is restricting for you because you are coming from a back ground with final cut and final c ...

You're possibly right, it may be that iMovie is restricting after using Final Cut Pro X but I've also found that I can't do any colour grading on ANY app on the iPad.  

To be able to use the iPad for editing movies I'd need to use one of the Phantom 4's built in movie styles rather than shooting in LOG mode and I like to think I'm getting the best possible quality from my equipment.
Apple need to develop an "iMovie Pro" or "Final Cut Express" type app for the iPad Pro IMO.
2016-5-4
Use props
KittenSwagger
lvl.2

United States

I use a 27" 5k iMac and I love it.

For the money, you can't beat that screen. The internals are plenty fast enough to run photoshop/lightroom/premier pro without any hang up.
2016-5-4
Use props
craig.davis.850
lvl.2

United States

Guys thanks so much for all the feedback. I think I have made my decision. I decided to go with the iPad pro 9.7. It improves my piloting screen, portability sharing vids when I go places, and I can edit with imovie. For my needs, I don't require the advancements of final cut or.adobe. I feel imovie will suffice for now. If I want more, I'll sell it and maybe upgrade to an imac or super pc that can accommodate a more advanced editing program.  Thanks!
2016-5-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

craig.davis.850 Posted at 2016-5-4 04:25
Oh thats cool. I wonder if it would transfer 4k video without issue?

Yes, it transfer all my 12mp pics and 4K Videos rather quickly.  Really a sweet addition to the iPad Air 2 and Phantom 3 flight kit. A must have. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-5-5
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

craig.davis.850 Posted at 2016-5-3 16:57
Hey rodger thanks for the reply. Im def not interested in ipad AND  computer. Its one or the other ...

I have a new iPad Pro but I still use the MAC to work on.
2016-5-5
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm starting to wonder whether shooting in LOG mode is worth the added hassle of having to colour grade the files in post.  While out this morning I switched it into "Cinestyle" and "Landscape" and the footage to me eye looks great.  I've never had to do any colour grading before so I'm trying to learn as I go but what with working full time (shifts at that) and trying for a baby with my better half I don't get much time to read, or play around in FCP X, to try out what I'm learning (or think I'm learning).  Plus I don't (yet) have any ND filters so at the moment, with the nice sunny weather we're having, I can't set the shutter speed very low anyway so I know I'm not getting the best from my P4.....yet!

How many of you guys shoot in LOG mode and how many use the built in profiles?  Show of hands?
2016-5-5
Use props
kmb9
lvl.1

Bulgaria

CapeCodPhantom Posted at 2016-5-2 23:28
I have a custom built windows machine with an I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Deluxe mother board, 32gb of ram, ...

I would be surprised if it didn't handles everything.
2016-5-5
Use props
frank.dellaert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

I just wonder about the "I have no use for a computer except...".
How did you get on this forum then ? And how did you ever learn that there was something like a Phantom ?.
In my case it's more like "I have no use for anything else than a computer..." :-)
2016-5-5
Use props
craig.davis.850
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-5-5 16:02
Yes, it transfer all my 12mp pics and 4K Videos rather quickly.  Really a sweet addition to the iP ...

I can transfer video and photos from my ipad onto empty sd cards, right?  I have a feeling im gonna fill up the 128 gb quickly on the iPad.
2016-5-5
Use props
craig.davis.850
lvl.2

United States

frank.dellaert Posted at 2016-5-5 18:39
I just wonder about the "I have no use for a computer except...".
How did you get on this forum then ...

My ancient laptop and my smart phone were more than sufficient tools for my computing needs. My needs have changed since i got this phantom and am attempting some video work.
2016-5-5
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-5-3 11:11
I pilot with an iPhone 6 and transfer to video.

how do you fly with an iphone 6 when you have an ipad pro 9.7 on hand?!?!?!??   i did 4 flights on my 6s till i got pissed off then drove straight to best buy and picked up an ipad mini
2016-5-5
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

quickpoint Posted at 2016-5-5 12:27
how do you fly with an iphone 6 when you have an ipad pro 9.7 on hand?!?!?!??   i did 4 flights on ...

Oh I only fly with the iPhone.  After flight, I transfer the video over to the iPad Pro to review the video.
Clearly using a smartphone for the flights does make for a challenge since you cannot see as much, but you get used to it after a while.
The iPad pro is great for reviewing your video while mobile and basic editing.
I use Adobe After Effect, HitFilms, etc for more intense video editing.
2016-5-5
Use props
frank.dellaert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

microcyb Posted at 2016-5-5 18:34
Oh I only fly with the iPhone.  After flight, I transfer the video over to the iPad Pro to review  ...

Still...why not use the iPad in the first place then ???
2016-5-5
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-5-5 12:34
Oh I only fly with the iPhone.  After flight, I transfer the video over to the iPad Pro to review  ...

likewise, but why not put the ipad on your controller?    helps alot with seeing what shots your getting.   i did like 5 flights on my iphone and ill never do again,   got too spoiled with ipad mini
2016-5-5
Use props
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

I have a core i7 4770k in a Republic of Gamer Maximus VI Hero with 24gb of RAM and a Radeon R9 280x video card...512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD, and a 256gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD, and WD Black 6tb hard drive for storage....my alternative video card is an Nvidia Quadro K6000....OVERKILL?

Indeed....but smooth as heck....
2016-5-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

craig.davis.850 Posted at 2016-5-5 04:45
I can transfer video and photos from my ipad onto empty sd cards, right?  I have a feeling im gonn ...

I think the videos and pics can only be moved one way, Onto the iPad.
It's best to transfer them to the main harddrive of an actual computer.
If I am understanding you, Why are you wanting to store videos on sd cards? Seems backwards to me.

RedHotPoker
2016-5-6
Use props
craig.davis.850
lvl.2

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-5-6 18:11
I think the videos and pics can only be moved one way, Onto the iPad.
It's best to transfer them  ...

When my 128gb hardrive fills up i need a place to store them without losing quality. I dunno maybe it wont matter where its stored ?
2016-5-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Once media is in the iPad' it can still be transferred, via text, email, or even instant messaging.
You can always copy and paste... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-5-7
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AirDrop is probably the easiest and quickest way of getting the videos from the iPad to a computer.
2016-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules