The case for not upgrading firmware/software
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

I've been on this forum since the beginning of the P3 deliveries in April of 15.

One common complaint is that DJI pushes out both firmware and software updates with limited descriptions of what the upgrade is supposed to do verses what really happens.

I'm still running firmware version 1.1.8 on my P3P and it fly’s perfectly. The same goes for using the DJI Pilot app verses DJI-GO.

The added benefit of waiting/not installing new wares on either the quad or the RC is that I don't have geo fencing.

There are some features that you may wish to use, but give it a couple of weeks to allow others to either brick their units or prove out the stability before becoming a guinea pig.

I don't spend much time here any longer as it's appears to be a rehash of last years Snafu’s, today.

Good luck folks.

2016-5-2
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you are still running 1.1.8, that's leaving it a bit too long to find out what problems others might be having.
On 1.1.8 you still have a horrible wavy horizon that DJI fixed almost a year ago.
And you are missing out on a lot of good things that have come in since.
As for Geofencing, I'm running 1.4 and have none - but I have all the other goodies like POI etc.
You don't have to run the latest but there's no excuse for using archaic firmware.
2016-5-2
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-2 20:27
If you are still running 1.1.8, that's leaving it a bit too long to find out what problems others mi ...

No wavy horizon. Still have 20 plus frequencies for the radio.

I didn't purchase the Phantom to spend as much time updating firmware/software as I did flying.

1.1.8 works well, although I don't run the VPS after that debacle. I've got no use for follow me or flying via a pre-set route.

Not saying that I want to, but if I chose to, I could fly next door to the airport and the unit wouldn't complain.

I never was happy with the still images the camera produced. Fixed that by purchasing a larger bird for one of my DSLR cameras. The only thing the Phantom gets used for now is the occasional video and to check on the storage building when I'm too lazy to walk there.

I liken this to still having a PC running Windows 7 Ultimate verses Windows 10. It's got functionality not available with the updates.

A quick search of the Phantom 3 page shows 40% of the page is dedicated to firmware/software issues. No thanks.
2016-5-2
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

I'm going to have a relatively updated bird ( I might lag behind a version for awhile) but not much more... And that is the end of that story! In my opinion thats just basic safety and  maintainance.....

However .....When the needed firmware updates , begin containing unwanted features such as geofence,  I'm going to move on to a different bird better suited to my needs.
Then I'm going live happily ever after
2016-5-2
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

My P3A is still on the firmware that it came with.    Flies perfect.   I feel no need to update and risk problems.   I don't need the 2K video.  1080 is more than enough for my needs.
If it taint broke.........
2016-5-2
Use props
scarper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59272 ft
Australia

Heres a case for not updating. http://forum.dji.com/thread-51366-1-1.html
I have always been of the belief a firmware should be kept up to date...I also believe it should enhance a device...not nerf it and make it less than advertised.
2016-5-2
Use props
towheaded-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35125 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it flies great and don't need any of the recent features, then there should be no reason to upgrade. I'm on 1.4 on aircraft; 1.5.7 on RC and 2.4.2 go app (IOS). No issues at all.
2016-5-2
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

I was forced to upgrade when I first turned the bird on (P3S bought last Nov), spent half an hour doing that before I could even take off, and then the sun had gone down before I could even fly it for the first time
Then I found out that the forced update had added NFZ support and my property is right on the boundary of it, meaning I can only fly over 1/3 of my acreage grrr
2016-5-2
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft

Hey, nice to see you around again. I agree with your sentiment as why you don't frequent the forum or have as much input as we used to.
Good luck
2016-5-3
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Well I've been one of the lucky ones and had no issues with fw updates from 1.4 to the latest on RC, drone and batteries.
2016-5-3
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.2

United States

I have a lot of fair in DJI. It's not like they are modifying the code that keeps the engine on in the firmware. They're usually just new features and I'm sure they test a lot before release. No issues here
2016-5-3
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2016-5-3 12:56
Hey, nice to see you around again. I agree with your sentiment as why you don't frequent the forum o ...

Good seeing you post Ray. I see very few names of those that were here in the beginning.  That's OK though.

I'm sure some have moved up to the Phantom 4. Looks like a nice unit. What I don't need is having to replace 5 batteries like I presently have.

I'll drop in from time to time, but the it's deja vu all over again.

Peace out.
2016-5-3
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2016-5-3 15:26
Good seeing you post Ray. I see very few names of those that were here in the beginning.  That's O ...

I'm still on the p3p and don't see why I would need the p4. The obstacle avoidance I already have, it's called look where you are going. Extra speed, I don't need. Tracking, I have, use the San thing to fly manually. Just old fashioned I guess.
I don't like De' ja vu, hence I only follow the old guys from before and any new ones who don't know it all.
Hey what you think of my range extender post? This one does not narrow the beam and it's absolutely free and easy.
You be safe Greg
2016-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules