Timelapse resolution
2011 7 2016-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeffmoltenberry
lvl.2

United States

Just took my first timelapse and was disappointed to see it recorded in 720p yet my normal video resolution is 4k. Is there a way to change this?
2016-5-2
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3

Welcome to the club of fooled Osmo customers!
DJI sales the Osmo as 4k camera as well as time lapse camera but what they do not tell you in the specification is that video resolution is limited to blurry 720p in TimeLapse...

Osmo is capable of recording 4k @30fps, but according to many threads DJI is unable to offer 4k @ 1fps or even less, even though there ain´t a technical limitation for that. They just don´t want to for unknown reason.

IMHO you only have three options now:
1) If you just recently purchased your Osmo online and you have the right to refund it, do so. Run as fas as you can and get rid of that crap.
2) Take jpg photos along with the timelapse movie and create the 4k TimeLapse video in postproduction. But be aware that the recording frequency is limited to 0.5 fps (one image every 2 seconds) which can be way too less and results in hectic TimeLapse or especially Hyperlapse movies. Pretty useless in my opinion and that you can do with any digital camera, no need for buying an Osmo.
3) Record in regular 4k @30 or 24 fps. Find yourself a PostProduction tool that can create a TimeLapse video in PostProduction based on the regular 4K video. Advantage: you can adjust the speed scaling factor in PostProduction and adopt it to your recorded material as you like. Unfortunatly DJI again is unable to offer such a tool so you have to take care (and pay for it) of that yourself...

Really sad DJI. Could have been such a nice device, but you ruined it!
2016-5-2
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello!
The resolution for Timelapse created in the Osmo is 1280*720 30fps.
For a better quality of Timelapse pictures, please download the DJI Media Make to post-process the original files (download link: http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/info#downloads).
2016-5-3
Use props
alvintoro
lvl.2

OMG Jeff! Yes! If that's a must have feature to you please return it if you're still in time to do so. The last this thing anyone wants is someone else constantly nagging about features they want/need/got promised but have yet to be delivered. I do a lot of time lapses on a weekly basis and in my experience as much as I love mine, in its current state the Osmo is not the best tool for that job.
2016-5-4
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

China

alvintoro Posted at 2016-5-4 17:20
OMG Jeff! Yes! If that's a must have feature to you please return it if you're still in time to do s ...

Hello!
We would be very appreciated if you have any good suggestion about this feature to share with us so that we can improve.
2016-5-4
Use props
jeffmoltenberry
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-4 04:24
Hello!
We would be very appreciated if you have any good suggestion about this feature to share wi ...

It's pretty simple.
Either 1) the resolution your normal video capture is set to is the resolution the timelapse video will be in.  or if that's too complicated, then 2) when you select timelapse there should be an additional option for video resolution (separate of normal video).
3) The manual and website should state what resolutions timelapse videos can be recorded in
4) There should also be an option for jpeg only. I believe it's either video or video + jpeg.
2016-5-4
Use props
alvintoro
lvl.2

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-4 17:24
Hello!
We would be very appreciated if you have any good suggestion about this feature to share wi ...

I would start by getting full resolution timelapses out of the box or making it REALLY obvious in the marketing materials that the the Osmo does not have this capability. Would definitely continue by adding automatic pan/tilt while recording to the GO App. Right now the only way to do it is by slowing the gimbal speed to its slowest inside the app and physically wedging a business card on the Osmo's joystick in the direction I want the gimbal to move while recording. With all the external power options available now it would definitely make for some amazing shots over extended periods of time if we could program start/stop points and let it go. Which reminds me, is there any way to get the Osmo back to recording longer than 30 minutes without downgrading the firmware to the old one? It completely counter productive to increase the battery life of the Osmo only to handicap its shooting time.
2016-5-4
Use props
jeffmoltenberry
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-3 16:23
Hello!
The resolution for Timelapse created in the Osmo is 1280*720 30fps.
For a better quality of  ...

Hi Adela, i followed your instructions, although there is noticeable camera movement (pan/tilt) during playback of the video DJI Media Maker generated. I also tried professional software, LRTimelapse, and it revealed the same issue.

I did playback the 720p video the Osmo  generated and it's fairly stable so just pictures are impacted. My Osmo is mounted to a stable tripod and I have latest firmware.

In short, the Osmo is incapable of generating respectable timelapses 1080p and higher. (internal video or post with pictures). I'm really let down that DJI advertises timelapses on the Osmo.

I opened a support ticket.
2016-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules