Time between battery use & recharge?
3297 8 2016-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Heathman
lvl.1

United States

Hi. Does anyone know of a recommended time between flying (and discharging to around 30%) and recharging P4 batteries? I only have 2 batteries at the moment and plan on flying quite a bit this weekend. I'm just not sure how long I should wait to recharge them as they tend to get warm during flight.

Thanks so much!
Heath
2016-5-2
Use props
scarper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59272 ft
Australia

dont charge them while they are warm...wait for them to cool down before you charge
2016-5-2
Use props
UFC
lvl.1

Germany

scarper Posted at 2016-5-3 06:30
dont charge them while they are warm...wait for them to cool down before you charge

I do not use phantom need to remove the battery or can be left inside the phantom? thanks for the answer
2016-5-3
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

I usually allow 20-30 minutes after a flight before charging that battery; with several batteries you can almost work nonstop.
Have fun & good flying!
2016-5-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm not sure if I would risk flying them down to 10%, that's the default 'critical' battery warning and the aircraft will land itself. I usually fly down to 30% warning mark (again the default) and then land the aircraft. After allowing the battery to cool down I recharge it, and after recharging allow it to cool again before use.
   I believe the recommendation is that about every 20 'full' battery charge cycles (I've not yet reached this point yet) that the batteries should be discharged to about 10% (or until the craft shuts down, approx' 8%) and then fully charged. This 'recalibrates' the batteries (or more likely the 'intelligent' voltage measurement circuitry involved).
2016-5-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

UFC Posted at 2016-5-3 09:44
I do not use phantom need to remove the battery or can be left inside the phantom? thanks for the  ...

Safe to leave battery in Phantom. The recommendation though is to discharge to about 50% and remove the batteries if they are going to be stored for more than a few days (the default automatic discharge period is 10 days for the 'intelligent' batteries).
2016-5-3
Use props
mmarkoe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2710 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-5-3 05:15
Safe to leave battery in Phantom. The recommendation though is to discharge to about 50% and remov ...

The P4 was sent in for minor repair. Batteries are fully charged. Is there a way to discharge without aircraft available?
2016-5-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mmarkoe@verizon Posted at 2016-5-3 12:57
The P4 was sent in for minor repair. Batteries are fully charged. Is there a way to discharge with ...

The batteries will automatically discharge themselves after a set period (the default is 10 days). They will discharge themselves slowly over 2-3 days down to about 50-60%.
2016-5-3
Use props
Heathman
lvl.1

United States

I can't thank you all enough for the fantastic replies. I really do appreciate the guidance and the time you took to provide such great information. Thank you!
2016-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules