Here goes............1st ATTI mode flight....
2390 5 2015-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I am prepared to be shot down in flames, but whatever.

First thoughts of flying the Inspire 1 in ATTI mode………………..

…………..WOW, no wonder people were losing props, after flying the P2 in ATTI for the about the last 6mths the I1 really shifts and changes direction rapidly quick, the ESC’s must be working overtime. The flights were excellent, double checked and did a compass/ IMU calibration before take-off, very stable, a slight yaw that I could only see by looking at the camera in the app was the only fault. (I wound the props on as I normally do, gently to ensure the thread is correct, then spin them a few times in the locking direction, then hold the motor and hand-tighten wearing gloves).

Despite the problems with IMU, iOS, yaw drift etc etc it’s still a beautiful and fast platform to fly, whether a solo pilot can control the pan, tilt, camera settings etc and keep an eye on the battery (which seems to deplete quicker in ATTI mode), IMU and ACC MOD’s and all the other settings and indications necessary to keep you in the air safely will only come with a lot of experience, IMHO. This thing is quick and agile!

As a side note I have contacted DJI chat for a few questions/queries and have always got an answer, who said customer service is dead, I know there have been problems, think how many vehicles have been recalled because of electrical fires, steering faults or even steering wheels coming off, etc, far too many. No this is the new standard in flying photographic multi-rotors for people who cannot or don’t want to spent the £££££.

The app alone is awesome will the P3 get the same? Who knows, I for one will be buying one if it does, and I can’t wait for a camera upgrade on the Inspire 1.

Anyway just my inexperienced first thoughts, safe flying and read the forums they are a great source of knowledge and the savour for many headaches. Also many thanks to Tahoe Ed and Blade Strike for their help, in the UK we’re a good few hrs ahead of the Americas and a good few hrs behind Asia, no wonder the forums are busy, excellent, sorry for waffling , just love flying and filming.

Safe flying and a Happy New Year!

Cheers Mark                                       
2015-1-17
Use props
Yoshca
lvl.1

United States

Just wanted to let you know that not everyone is experiencing problems.
DJI  has done  a good job to date with me.
Out of the box, updates, compass orientation, flights and not a problem:
34 flights
4 hours 22 minutes
24,692 meters.
My IOS app updated before it was pulled.
Downloaded the new firmware and just waiting to see how well others do with it.
Went to check something on the craft with the pilot app and had to electronically sign the 3 day lock down if not updated.  I guess I better update and hope for the best, will check if there is a newer firmware online first.

2015-1-17
Use props
mlglisson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds great.
2015-1-17
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

If this makes you feel any better I have a couple of Phantoms and they handle excellent. The reactions are very predictable. I feel that DJI changed something in the Phantom 2 Vision +. I bought 1 and it was nothing like the other Phantoms. It reacted very unpredictable. It was to reactive. When I made a move with the stick it would take off like a rabbit and when I would center the stick it would keep going and when I changed direction it would rabbet the other way. The first time I flew it I shut it down just before it hit a tree. I reprogrammed it and the controller twice and still no change. I took a hit and sold it before I had an accident. I have an Inspire and have not flown it yet. I hope it does not act the same, if it does there will be one for sale cheap. I am waiting for all of the updates to settle down before I fly it.
2015-1-17
Use props
AVNes
lvl.3

United States

I completely agree with you. I even posted a similar thread (Short Flight Video... All is Good) on here with a link to a small flight video of the Inspire1 going through the paces yesterday morning.
2015-1-17
Use props
rwt0227
lvl.2

United States

I've had nothing but success as well. I chopped a propeller today though because I got brave an launched it from my apartment balcony. I have already done this several times and had no issue, but today a medivac heli flew an unorthodox path over our property kind of low as I was flying and I wanted to get it to my balcony quickly so to avoid any potential issues (even though I was merely 30 feet off the ground. I pulled it too quickly and bumped one of the wooden rafters on our roof overhang. Glad they sent two pairs of props!

Also, if you want to bypass the "update required - if you do not update the firmware within 3 days the Inspire will be locked from flight" simply uninstall the app and re-install it. I'm a bit peeved that this is allowed by them. I don't want to be on a vacation, attach to the net to get an update of the maps and then find out I suddenly have to attach the whole thing to the internet for firmware upgrades in 3 days or else I don't get to use it.  After installing the DJI Pilot update app, put your device (tablet/phone) into airplane mode and make sure wifi is turned off. Do not run the app with the internet connected to your device and you will be fine.

As a side measure, I've been incrementally keeping the .apk's of each android DJI Pilot release so if I need to I can reinstall a previous version.
2015-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules