RC firmware 1.6.0 lowered my RC output from 24mw to 14mw (Glitch.??.)
18682 251 2016-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-5-7 00:35
Just spoke with DJI Tech Support and they are not aware of anything along these lines.  I did sugges ...

As Tim and myself have said in many other threads, the range has not been decreased.
2016-5-6
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft

bfd300 Posted at 2016-5-7 00:48
AHHH  I have the P3A.........oh well  thanks for your help.

See that in the release notes..  Wonder why the P3A can't be brought back to 1.7??
2016-5-6
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1386588 ft

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-7 01:50
As Tim and myself have said in many other threads, the range has not been decreased.

If the power is decreased but the range maintained by some means then it is a non issure for.me, and my range most definitely has not decreased.
2016-5-6
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3

Unless...and I am a physician, not an electrical engineer, so bear with me,  but might decreasing transmitting power affect penetrance, I.e if I could "see" through 2 trees before, would lower power allow me to maybe only see through 1 tree?  I don't think it affects that aspect of it either...I think that is an function of frequency only, but I dunno.
2016-5-6
Use props
jwt873
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

The controller/aircraft link channels are between 2.400 GHz and 2.483 GHz --  https://www.dji.com/product/phantom-4/info

2016-5-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

kdcox Posted at 2016-5-7 02:20
If the power is decreased but the range maintained by some means then it is a non issure for.me, a ...

Again, the range is still the same.
2016-5-6
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791184 ft

DJI-Ken,

I see you edited your above post from "Again, the power has not been reduced" to "Again, the range is still the same."

You realize that that seems like you corrected yourself, and that it can be construed that the power HAS been reduced.

Point blank question: Has the power been reduced, in any way, or at any time during any updates?
2016-5-6
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3

What about this spin on it:  I can state unequivocally that my range has not been reduced with fw1.8.  Have no idea what my power output is, really don't care.  If I can get the same distance on less power shouldn't that equate to a (little) better battery longevity?
2016-5-6
Use props
Mr.buGSy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 820712 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

dkruseski Posted at 2016-5-6 21:42
DJI-Ken,

I see you edited your above post from "Again, the power has not been reduced" to "Again,  ...

Hi,

DJI-Tim said in another thread -> http://forum.dji.com/thread-51366-2-1.html  "DJI RC power output for FCC is 79 mw, for CE is 25 mw DJI has no incentive to decrease RC power."

That basically means that the power has not been reduced right? Or is this another way to dodge the big question?
2016-5-6
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-7 02:48
Again, the range is still the same.

Ken,

I have to agree..  Was the power, in fact, reduced?  Because the converse of what you're saying also, if it has and the range is still the same, is that the range could have been increased with the old power?  Not sure how you would lower power and maintain range (and as someone put it) penetration..  :-(  Another reason to try and go back to 1.7 fw...  Please clarify..  and also, if it was a transmission power reduction, it should have been in the release notes...
2016-5-6
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-5-6 10:51
This rumor stemmed from a test done by a Facebook user. The user did an RC power output test and fo ...

Tim,

In this statement you're saying the power is the same??

Ken (and Tim),

I think we're all asking for one clear statement, that being that both the power and the range were not modified in the 1.6 RC fw (and something as a counterpart) in the 1.8 aircraft fw.
2016-5-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-5-6 13:36
Tim,

In this statement you're saying the power is the same??

There is no reduction in power or range !
2016-5-6
Use props
Mr.buGSy
lvl.2
  • >>>
Sweden

This is beginning to bother me a lot. I've never spent so much time watching a couple of forum threads.
2016-5-6
Use props
GM01
lvl.2

Belgium

@mdazel
Automatic updates can be switched off on IPad Air 2 as follows: Settings -> ITunes and Appstore -> Then under "Automatic Dowmloads" make sure you turn off the switch next to "Updates"
2016-5-6
Use props
Mr.buGSy
lvl.2
  • >>>
Sweden

Ok Ken. Thanks I guess...

Can we put a lit on it? I'm exhausted.
2016-5-6
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1140725 ft

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-5-7 00:35
Just spoke with DJI Tech Support and they are not aware of anything along these lines.  I did sugges ...

hello there, your flight data when the rain stops will be vital to all of us .. all data collected is part of the hole which is the end result .. the fact that DJI is unaware is good news really .. that would mean once we get the data out to them as valid partners that have pertinent data they will install the necessary call ups in the next firmware release putting both pilots and DJI in good standing with the FAA working together to maintain maximum performance so maximum safety can be achieved both by the aircraft and pilot .. PLEASE  post your flight data as soon as weather provides a flight window for you...!!! ;-)
2016-5-6
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-5-7 01:48
DJI-Tim,

THANK YOU for responding and confirming the RC power output was NOT reduced by the 1.6.0 ...

Hello there, nothing is put to bed and it was not a rumor .. my testing was all done in a very controlled environment and the findings are valid .. you should be in politics .. the way you come in and post something to the contrary like it is official and over and nothing more be done or said about this fact and ongoing subject if you think otherwise and try to post something so far from the truth in a very good thread getting important data compiled for everybody's benefit .. just-say-in...!!! ;-)
2016-5-6
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3

dkruseski Posted at 2016-5-7 03:42
DJI-Ken,

I see you edited your above post from "Again, the power has not been reduced" to "Again,  ...

Hello there, liked your crikits by the way .. my testing and data clearly show that on my equipment it was resulting in unsafe flight characteristics .. I am going to ignore the fact that some are calling me a liar or that my metters or testing methods were done in error or not valid .. so we can continue to work together and solve the issue .. pointing fingers of blame just put resolve out of reach thank you for listening and being part of this necessary process ...!!! ;-)
2016-5-6
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3

Mr.buGSy Posted at 2016-5-7 04:27
Hi,

DJI-Tim said in another thread -> http://forum.dji.com/thread-51366-2-1.html  "DJI RC power o ...

hello there, on pre mission flight check list I always check max altitude to make sure it is working .. I could not even reach 120 meters .. that started the testing .. which showed that the RF power had decreased from 24ma to 14ma .. or by 50% .. now if DJI is not going to recognize the data the reason has no more grater effect .. we must work together in this fast paced technology to fly safe .. listening with deaf ears is not acceptable to reach resolution or a fix it is just politics .. that is why so many pilot are getting very discouraged and doubtful as to DJIs real intentions in this class of sUAS manufacturing and customer care I started the post to be helpful to all pilots and DJI .. but I just can not or I should say it is we can not get through to DJI that this is a fact .. and we need something done about it for safety and confidence in them as our partner in public sUAS flight...!!! ;-)
2016-5-6
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3

Maybe your meter is bad?  Nothing has deteriorated on my bird.  Just say-in.
2016-5-6
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-7 04:49

Hello there, so then you are calling me a liar.??. or are you saying there was no intention of reducing power or range .. because like many pilots have said .. our actual range has been reduced by the firmware upgrade and if we try to go back to resolve the issue we can not bine the bird to the RC for whatever reason or are you going to tell us that is not happening either even though it is .. .WOW is this really how you are going to work thing out with your customers and actual pilots of your product ..??.. by just telling us it can not be happening and we are mistaken .. than I must tell you I have to find resolution without you or your help as you are not seeing me as a partner with good data to share but someone you don't need or you think is incapable of giving you good data or just a liar .. total frustrate with all the politics in public sUAS flight and was hopping you would value your base customers more .. instead you are just trying to ignore what we are experiencing in are actual day to day flights...!!! ;-(
2016-5-6
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3

GM01 Posted at 2016-5-7 04:54
@mdazel
Automatic updates can be switched off on IPad Air 2 as follows: Settings -> ITunes and Appst ...

Hello there, I will check to see how I have the setting in there I don`t know how they are set to be honest  thanks for your help ...!!! ;-)
2016-5-6
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3

GM01 Posted at 2016-5-7 04:54
@mdazel
Automatic updates can be switched off on IPad Air 2 as follows: Settings -> ITunes and Appst ...

Hello there, updates was in the on position .. I have turned it off .. will that affect the ios updates as well .. I will just do my updating manually as this (iPad air 2) for FPV flight control only .. thank you again for ringing in with the info...!!! ;-)
2016-5-6
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3

Well I guess I'm done with this thread that I thought was going to be productive.  I am trained to be an objective observer, and admittedly a fancy RF measuring device SHOULD produce objective results, I believe even more that real world experience, if looked at objectively is more reliable, so, unless I got the only phantom 3 that suffered no range loss (for whatever technological reason) after upgrading, then I think it's a moot point.  Y'all have fun discussing it...I'm gonna go fly a few miles and back . I do wish I had a bigger battery to see how far this baby would really go...but I digress.
2016-5-6
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3

Mr.buGSy Posted at 2016-5-7 04:56
Ok Ken. Thanks I guess...

Can we put a lit on it? I'm exhausted.

Hello there, many pilot are interested in this thread as it is ongoing .. and want to work on the issues we are discussing / having and we need all pilots that are and have said they are going to do test flights a chance to do them and ring back in .. but if you would rather not help .. maybe it is time you click the unfollow button on this thread .. just-say-in...!!! ;-)
2016-5-6
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3

kdcox Posted at 2016-5-7 06:11
Well I guess I'm done with this thread that I thought was going to be productive.  I am trained to b ...

Hello there, thanks for ringing in safe flights .. and what you say is just more proof it was not done internally by DJI it is a glitch in the firmware upgrade that as it may not have affected you it has affected many other pilots and still needs to be addressed again thanks and safe flights...!!! ;-)
2016-5-6
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3

Safe flights to you too, man!
2016-5-6
Use props
Richard in Bois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34721 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-6 14:49

Thank you Ken.  Appreciate the response.
2016-5-6
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

kdcox Posted at 2016-5-7 02:46
Yes just put 1.7 on a formatted SD card and do the update sequence.  Only works for p3p not p3a

"Only works for p3p not p3a"

Where do you get this info from?
It sounds dubious (like lots of misinformation spread on forums).

The firmware release notes say:
Notes:
- The firmware can be downgraded to v1.7.0060.
- Both the aircraft and the remote controller must be upgraded or else they will not link

2016-5-6
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

mdazel Posted at 2016-5-7 08:02
Hello there, so then you are calling me a liar.??. or are you saying there was no intention of red ...

You've heard from multiple DJI sources that the output power has NOT beed reduced.
And there's no reason why DJI would want to reduce output power.

Instead af asking if someone's calling you a liar, you should be checking your equipment and methodology to either see where you've gone wrong or be able to present proper data with evidence to back it up.
So far all anyone knows is you got a gauge to show some numbers.
Were these numbers accurate and were they showing what you think the were?
2016-5-6
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-7 04:49

Ken,

Thank you..  Appreciate your doing that.    I really wasn't looking forward to back leveling if I didn't have to!  :-)
2016-5-6
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-7 08:31

While i always appreciate scrutiny, i never knowingly pass along dubious info....dji paladin posted it in my thread yesterday
2016-5-6
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

mdazel Posted at 2016-5-7 05:12
hello there, your flight data when the rain stops will be vital to all of us .. all data collected ...

mdazel,

So we've heard DJI say, rather categorically, that nothing (at least to their knowledge as one of your posts inferred) was changed relative to power or distance.  You referenced my flight data which I'm more than glad to post for anyone to look at, but I'm also trying to understand what it will show?  I may be showing my own ignorance here, but is there specific information in the flight logs relative to transmissions and receptions?  When I look at the playback in the flight log, I can see that RC Control Stick movements are tracked.  Is there another (or different) file you're referring to?

Also, and a suggestion.... First, I really think you should be able to back things off to 1.7 (on the aircraft) and 1.5.8 on the RC.  I believe you mentioned you tried and couldn't re-link (which is a problem in itself and may be pointing to an issue in the RC?).  

If you can get that corrected, you could then re-produce and video the meter differences between 1.7 and 1.8 that you say you are seeing.  I'm not going to doubt your saying what you believe you're seeing and I think that DJI seeing it on your RC and Aircraft could be valuable especially if it is reproducible at will.

We have people who have had a chance to fly say they've seen no difference with 1.8 for distance..  Penetration could be different, but we have no thoughts or evidence there I recall in this thread.  Again I don't know what flight logs show, but there are some folks still on 1.7 and others on 1.8.  I still have my 1.7 flight logs as well..
2016-5-6
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-6 19:31

Here ya go, mr labroides...no dubiosity
DJI-Paladin20#
2016-05-05 10:41reply
From the main home page, if you press the graduation hat (upper right corner) and press it for 5-10 seconds then let go, it will take you into the downgrade menu (aircraft OFF while dong this).As for the drone. just simply extract the 1.7 fw to the card and do it like the upgrading. But P3A cannot be downgraded if its fw is 1.8 now.
2016-5-6
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-7 08:31

Here's a link to the 1.8 fw for the Advanced.. Unlike it's counterpart for the Professional, the line of text indicating it can be brought back to 1.7 is not in the release notes... (it is there on the P3A for the 1.7 update stating it can go to 1.6)..

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _Note_en_160411.pdf

2016-5-6
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

kdcox Posted at 2016-5-7 11:15
Here ya go, mr labroides...no dubiosity
DJI-Paladin20#
2016-05-05 10:41reply

Thanks for the reference.

I haven't tested myself but I'd guess the the firmware release notes are more likely to be correct.  
It wouldn't be the first time misinformation has been spread by some DJI-folks here.
2016-5-6
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-7 09:20
Thanks for the reference.

I haven't tested myself but I'd guess the the firmware release notes are ...

Understand, and I think the OP is on a professional but can't relink after backing off 1.8 (Aircraft) and 1.6 (RC).. I'd be interested in seeing a video of the meter showing the difference if it's reproducible..
2016-5-6
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-5-7 11:17
Here's a link to the 1.8 fw for the Advanced.. Unlike it's counterpart for the Professional, the l ...

That line seems to be on every other reference to FW1.8 for the Advanced.
eg:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-48127-1-1.html

It's hard to imagine why the Adv wouldn't downgrade just the same as the Pro
2016-5-6
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3

kdcox Posted at 2016-5-7 05:54
Maybe your meter is bad?  Nothing has deteriorated on my bird.  Just say-in.

Hello there, happy for you .. but if my meter is bad what about all the other pilots having the same issue .. maybe there is a glitch in the firmware upgrade .. or maybe when you mock someone it shows your animosity .. not that you are adding trustworthy input or data .. just-say-in...!!! ;-)
2016-5-6
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-7 08:38
You've heard from multiple DJI sources that the output power has NOT beed reduced.
And there's no  ...

hello there, read the start of the post it was actual flight actions and the fix oh and i did not call any pilot anything .. some just can not accept the data and that it is sound and that is just sad so sad .. i have said many times in this thread if we point the finger of blame then resolve will be out of reach ...!!! ;-)

2016-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules