for experienced pilots, controller stick preferences ?
4116 23 2015-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pbofavl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1307631 ft
United States

Ok you experienced pilots, what's your preference on controller stick configuration.

Mode 2 (which is what was on by default when the inspire1 shipped):
altitude and yaw on left stick, pitch and roll on right stick

or

Mode 1:
pitch and yaw on left stick, altitude and roll on right stick.

Which do you find you like best and why?
2015-1-17
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Mode 2, just got use to it.
2015-1-17
Use props
pbofavl
lvl.2
United States

lrwskyfilms Posted at 2015-1-17 23:41
Mode 2, just got use to it.

why mode 2?
2015-1-17
Use props
kp.iwsltd
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I wish there was a way to reprogram the yaw, I also fly large Rc Helis and I am one of the odd folks that reverses the rudder channel,
I am able to do this with the Phantom in the RC assistant,
Maybe I can with the Inspire1 just have not found it yet.
2015-1-17
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

No reason initially it was a default setting on my first P2, so I didn't change it. Also I'm right-handed so I can hand-catch the P2 and have the left hand cut the motors.
2015-1-17
Use props
daverm16a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Mode 2
2015-1-17
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Mode 2 was what my P2 was configured for when I bought it, so I've gotten used to it over time, and it's second nature to me now.
2015-1-17
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can someone answer this. Why is it that the inspire and phantom the lights are opposite from regular aircrafts.
2015-1-17
Use props
travissrt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68555177 ft
  • >>>
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-1-18 08:30
Can someone answer this. Why is it that the inspire and phantom the lights are opposite from regular ...

My opinion on this is that green is on the back because you should fly with the back of the craft facing you.  If you're looking at red lights that should be a "red flag" that your controls are now reversed.  Just my thoughts but seems to be logical.
2015-1-17
Use props
pbofavl
lvl.2
United States

I've practiced with both layouts in the simulator and can fly either way, seems like mode1 (pitch and yaw on left stick) allows one to navigate the aircraft with only one hand if you fly it like an airplane (nose foreword).

But the inspire 1ships in mode 2, (altitude and yaw on left stick).  Which lets one navigate with one hand using right stick if you ignore aircraft orientation...

Is it really just personal preference?

What's is the old school RC standard?
2015-1-18
Use props
neuroverse
lvl.1

United States

Longtime gamer here - I've been working with mode 3 as it seems most familiar to FPS gaming controls.
2015-1-18
Use props
sloras1
lvl.1

United States

You can try each Mode via the Simulator in the App, which works great.

My current preference is Mode 2 (just started and got used to it), but I may try Mode 3 if in fact it is more like FPS (which I don't spend much time using, but my son does and it might benefit him to use Mode 3 as he would already be "trained" and proficient.
2015-3-11
Use props
Prop-Lock Girl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2419163 ft
Germany

Custom mode:
Left hand: throttle, left/right
Right hand: forward/back, yaw
2015-3-11
Use props
Heliflo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8885013 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Mode 2: Comes originaly from helis to have the swashplate (roll, nick) on one stick...
2015-3-11
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

I'm new to RC...but I have thousands of hours in the air with a Cessna 182.

The RC world uses the opposite stick direction for ascent and descent on the left stick. I recognize DJI calls this the throttle (and it is).

I have left my right stick in the default mode -but changed my left stick to reflect my muscle memory in a real aircraft. In other words, I reversed it to "pull back for ascent" and "push forward to descend"....just so I don't have to constantly re-think the reverse.

I'm not advocating this - This is just my preference - and why I made the change.
2015-3-11
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Mode 2 for me all the way but whatever's good for you dude.
2015-3-11
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

Boys, in a real helicopter, the collective and throttle are left hand. The flight stick in right hand controls pitch and roll. BTW, yaw is your pedals.
So , thus you have the default rc heli config (mode 2). It is also a US rc custom for helis to default to mode 2, while I understand Europe defaults to mode 1.
If all you fly is a quad, set it YOUR way.
2015-3-11
Use props
lon.garwood
lvl.2

South Korea

Here in Korea Mode 1 is the standard so I was used to that with other drones  until my Inspire arrived in Mode 2 (and not realizing I could change it) I have been operating it in the same Mode 2 ever since.  Kind of like driving in the USA one week  and then in the  UK the next week and switching back and forth.   

2015-3-12
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
Flight distance : 400577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mode 1 for me, i can fly mode 2 just have to think a lot harder, when i stared flying RC helicopters in the 70s there was only a handful of people doing it so nobody to ask which mode.
2015-3-13
Use props
brianmlevy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2441663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Most around here will fly in Mode 2. However, it is entirely personal preference....
2015-3-13
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mode 2 all the way!
2015-3-13
Use props
Chato1974.gmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3657356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I leave it in mode 2 because that's the same controls that are on the video games for flying things such as helicopters. (Battlefield 4 etc.)
2015-3-13
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mode 2 also, just feels right. I am right handed and most of my flying relies on the right hand. But, that's just me. Do what you are comfortable with.
2015-3-13
Use props
drklion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2712825 ft
  • >>>
United States

rfrye Posted at 2015-3-12 03:14
I'm new to RC...but I have thousands of hours in the air with a Cessna 182.

The RC world uses the o ...

I fully understand this logic of rfrye.  I fly a Cirrus and Mode 2 for the Inspire 1 is good for me because the throttle that is located on the center console of the Cirrus works like the Mode 2.  Forward gives me Power up while pulling back gives me Power down.
2015-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules