Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ryanlam115
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341355 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-9 13:54
Question, you are not using a GPS enabled device correct, I do not see a blue circle?
Also you were  ...

I was using my andriod phone. Gps is turned off.
I have not needed to turn on gps on my phone unless i use follow me mode.
If you zoom out, of the second flight on May 6,2016, you can see the hone point was set far away. Where the highway was, to the bottom Left. Of the map.
I did not move from where i took off. I can do a recording of flight records off my phone at a later time.

I hit (set current position), and it starts to drift to the new home point. I slide to initiate rth, and i then switched to atti mode but the drone keeps drifting towards the new, home point, that i did not ask it to set.

If it is because i selected "set curre t position" too close to take off (within 20m), that caused this jump of the home point ... Please also have a look at my April 14th flights, i was over 20m away from take off position, but the home point sets itself a block away.

If i do not have my drone, how can i send it in?
2016-5-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you try on a GPS enabled device then reset the home point, if it correctly does it then I'm not sure why it is automatically resetting the home point and you are 100% positive that you are not doing it (the app shows you are resetting it) or you are re-setting it and it's not setting it to the aircraft location (because you do not have a GPS enabled device) then you should send the aircraft in.
2016-5-9
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-9 14:37
Can you try on a GPS enabled device then reset the home point, if it correctly does it then I'm not  ...

So that means, i need to enable gps on my phone.
Doesnt set current position, use the drones gps to record its current position, not the device phone?

And if this happens again, then i may never be able to get my drone back, and it may potnetially actually hurt someone....

If i send it in and dji says no problems... Then i have to pay for shipping... I do not want to have yo pay for shipping.
But it remains that, the drone set its own new home point far away when i select "current position".

Are you suggesting i need to turn on my gps on my device phone, and this would be avoided? I can do a test flight one last time, this time with gps enabled on my device phone... But if it goes out and i lose control again, i dont know what to do.

2016-5-9
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Can you try on a GPS enabled device then reset the home point, if it correctly does it then I'm not  ...

Also, i dont have mobile data, so the map would not be loaded during my flight.
2016-5-9
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

So , the stsndard is supposed to have gps enabled device? Because i have done flight without gps enabled on my phone and the , set current position works fine with no new home point.

Thank you for your time... Please let me know what are my options
2016-5-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-10 02:37
I was using my andriod phone. Gps is turned off.
I have not needed to turn on gps on my phone unl ...

Since you have the GPS turned off on your phone, when you set home points you are setting them to the aircraft position. If you enable the GPS on your phone then you can also set the home point to where you are standing if you walk to a different location and want the new home point to be where you moved to.

I also see weak GPS signals in some of your flights. I think it is better that you send it in.
2016-5-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-10 02:54
So , the stsndard is supposed to have gps enabled device? Because i have done flight without gps e ...

If you want to use Follow Me and reset the home point to where you are standing with the RC/phone then you need the GPS enabled in your device.
Resetting the home point is resetting it to wherever the aircraft is because you have the GPS turned off in your phone.
Since you also have data turned off, you can sync the flight records when you get home and on WiFi.
And yes, if you send it in, you have to pay the shipping to get it here but DJI pays for the shipping to get it back to you.
2016-5-9
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I did use my phone to reset the home point to my phone, worked well, but I made damned sure I triple confirmed the map, to make sure it is where I think it is. When I was playing with follow me mode, using my phone, I had an attempted flyaway (I assume to the cell tower?), but I aborted it by getting back into p mode.
In your case aborting RTH mode should work, unless you also lost signal....
I never tried resetting the home point, while flying, back to the drone location, but cannot imagine why that would fail.
Mind you I fly the advanced, not standard though....
Certainly a rather scary occurrence.. twice! Good luck on getting it all sorted out!
2016-5-9
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-9 15:38
Since you have the GPS turned off on your phone, when you set home points you are setting them to  ...

Hey Ken,
So,I am only setting aircraft position.

1.phone gps is off.
2. "Select Current position"
3. Aircraft sets NEW homepoint 500m away from aircraft current position position.

4. Aircraft drifts towards NEW homepoint.
5. Slide to initiate rth.
6. Atti mode, aircraft does not respond to controls.

I have not moved anywhere, but the aircraft sets its own new home when "current position" selected. Current position is supposed to be the position of where the aircraft is, correct?
Not where the phone or RC is.

2016-5-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-10 09:47
Hey Ken,

Looking at what you wrote here:

Why is the phone GPS off? There is nothing to be gained by turning it off.

You say: '4. Aircraft drits towards NEW homepoint.' then 'Slide to initiate RTH'

Why initiate RTH at all, it is just going to go to the new home point every time, thats what RTH does.

As Ken says, you were in beginner mode, that is why the aircraft 'drifted' off towards the new home point, because it is trying to get back inside the range. Changing to ATTI mode will not do anything if it is already trying to move back inside the beginner range.

As I see it, the core problem here is why the aircraft set a new home point well away from the current aircraft position, because everything the aircraft does after that is perfectly normal.

And I still don't understand why you set the home point to the 'current position' anyway, what was wrong with the position it took off from?

2016-5-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-10 07:47
Hey Ken,

Yes, recording a new home point will record to the aircraft since you have your GPS disabled.
Why are you setting a new home point and why are you disabling the GPS. When the aircraft enters RTH, you can easily cancel RTH.

Can you please do a screen recording of a flight and have the GPS enabled.
2016-5-9
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-9 21:55
Yes, recording a new home point will record to the aircraft since you have your GPS disabled.
Why  ...

I always have flown with phone mobile device gps off. With max altitude and distance enabled.
And when i select current position, the aircraft does not set a new position 500m away and starts to drift back into that new home point's set max distance.

I never knew the aircraft can set a home point over 500m away from its current position when it is not even at that new position. Does that make sense?

Why i set new home point is to test it to make sure everything is working. But again, i was not aware the drone can set its current positon at 500m/1000m away...
A normal person would think, if I said, i am at point A and i said, i will stay at my current position. You would not go to 500meters away from point A to look for me... Unless you are this aircraft.

This is just what i see of the aircraft at the moment. Im not conplaining. Just sharing my thoughts. And my past experience of the aircraft has changed apparently.
So, i shouls test with mobile phone gps on? Okayy, i will be the tester for you dji Ken. I really hope turning on my mobile phone device gps and disabling any distance of altitude will prevent this jumping of home points! Stay tuned !
2016-5-9
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-9 23:37
I always have flown with phone mobile device gps off. With max altitude and distance enabled.
And  ...

holy crap man something totally dawned on me!  your smart return to home is most likely turned off.   go under  general settings (the top one with drone icon)  all the way at the bottom is advanced settings.   in that menu you have smart return to home.   will give you control while returning to home.  may help save your bird if it gets a random home point and wants to go there.   
2016-5-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-10 11:37
And  ...

Yes, resetting the home point should set it to the aircraft and not 500m away. I do not know why that happened. I think you should send your aircraft in and have it checked out.
Let me know how it goes with you GPS on with your phone.
2016-5-9
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

quickpoint Posted at 2016-5-10 00:11
holy crap man something totally dawned on me!  your smart return to home is most likely turned off ...

I thought smàrt return to home was , it would return home when it reaches a certain battery percentage? What does smart return to home do? I had that on for april 14 flight and it flew away.

This time i had it off, and it still flew away. Thanks for thinking of me
2016-5-9
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-10 00:11
Yes, resetting the home point should set it to the aircraft and not 500m away. I do not know why t ...

Thank you for your online support so far.

I will test this with mobile gps ON.

I do not see why, if it is the aircraft defect, that i should have to pay for anything like shipping at all. And hàve to put myself and others in potential danger, And have to wait about three weeks time for return.

But I will test and update you guys when i can. Thanks everyone.

2016-5-9
Use props
justin.owen
lvl.2

Spain

I was under the impression that the R/C has its own GPS position too? I'm pretty sure in the early days of the app when my home point was reset it was to the location of the R/C where I was standing... My iPad doesn't have GPS so the GPS position definitely didn't come from the device...

Or have I imagined this? (Which is entirely possible of course!)
2016-5-10
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

ricknyce Posted at 2016-5-10 20:38
I did the updates Saturday night and took the thing out for a flight Sunday Morning... 4 1/2 minutes ...

Oh no!!! You too??
Did you set max distance, altitude?
Did you switch to atti mode to try to regain control?
Is yours a standard as well?

Share your flight records onto here by use of healthy drones?
2016-5-10
Use props
ricknyce
New

United States

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-11 09:15
Oh no!!! You too??
Did you set max distance, altitude?
Did you switch to atti mode to try to reg ...

It was set to max distance and altitude
It disconnected from the remote.
I had the Advanced model
2016-5-10
Use props
ricknyce
New

United States

ricknyce Posted at 2016-5-11 09:34
I had the Advanced model  ...

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=sKBMkt
2016-5-10
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-10 00:11
Yes, resetting the home point should set it to the aircraft and not 500m away. I do not know why t ...

here is my video of the flight from my hat cam and the aircraft.

Please refer to the description box of the video for highlight times to save time. 6:34 - Take off
11:34 - Set Current position, Aircraft sets Home point over 500 m away and beings to drift. RTH initiated, cancelled RTH, Aircraft keeps drifting. And flips soft landing on grass.
14:40 - Second attempt, and same thing happens. this time, the aircraft goes and does not come back.
16:00 - 19:00 Aircraft is on its own.
21:00 - in my van trying to locate the aircraft.
21:05 - signal regained, RTH or low battery beeping on RC  I try to land the Aircraft, holding back on coming traffic, trying to be careful not to be hit by a car.
22:14 - aircraft landed and retrieved.

2016-5-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

justin.owen Posted at 2016-5-10 19:17
I was under the impression that the R/C has its own GPS position too? I'm pretty sure in the early  ...

Only the Inspire RC has a GPS, The phantom RC does not and you cannot reset the home point to the RC unless you have a GPS enabled device.
2016-5-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ricknyce Posted at 2016-5-11 09:34
I had the Advanced model  ...

Can you please sync your flight records to the cloud and provide your email address and I will analyze your flight record.
In the meantime, call 818-235-0789 and get a ticket started.
I am sorry about that.
2016-5-12
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-12 10:11

Please refer to the description  ...

Just wondering, did you try to cancel RTH when it started to run away?
Just an observation: your compass calibration method, imo, is flawed. I would advise you to leave all metallic objects and the RC well away from the p3 when you are calibrating it, and no reason not to follow the recommended height when calibrating.

Can you try to do this please:

Use the flight simulator and replicate exactly what you showed on the video. Let's see what it does in the flight simulator. This may provide some clues under a controlled condition.

Thanks
2016-5-12
Use props
hihi_shrek
lvl.2

Hong Kong

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-8 00:32
Finally, some support and helpful comments rather than opposing and condemning comments .

I real ...

Got your flight record, I take a look. Your case extremely similar to mine.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 45&page=2#pid389915

Please keep posting as I want to know how it goes also.

2016-5-12
Use props
hihi_shrek
lvl.2

Hong Kong

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-12 10:11

Please refer to the description  ...

OMG..at 11:34, your drone did what mine did. Yes, it sets a new home point. DJI, please answer this.
2016-5-12
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

rayrokni Posted at 2016-5-12 10:24
Just wondering, did you try to cancel RTH when it started to run away?
Just an observation: your co ...

Hey thabks for your attention.
The rth is cancelled as you can notice on the stop of the beeping from RC. When it is beeping that us when rth is still in engaged.

I tried the sinulator after this and it is just fine and dandy.
But if i take it out again, that would be sort of not safe i think.

Well! I could just avoid using the set current position to AIRCRAFT not RC/mobile device. Then it would be okay. But why have the option avaiable if it is going to send my aircr@ft flying away ?

And. In sorry, do you check to make sure there are not metal objects near you when you clibrate? Do yau have a metal detector to make sure there is absolutely no metal on the ground you are standing on every time you fly?
I calibrated at over 1m from the ground, how high am i supposed to calibrate ?
2016-5-12
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Sorry for the typos I am typing on my phone
2016-5-12
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

hihi_shrek Posted at 2016-5-12 13:20
OMG..at 11:34, your drone did what mine did. Yes, it sets a new home point. DJI, please answer thi ...

Is yours a standard?
Sorry that happened to you as well.. I dont thibk there is any pilot error on my part
2016-5-12
Use props
hihi_shrek
lvl.2

Hong Kong

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-13 01:30
Is yours a standard?
Sorry that happened to you as well.. I dont thibk there is any pilot error o ...

Yes, standard. Bought in April in Hong Kong. Mine was set to a new home point as well. I was able to retrieve it as well but it was just lucky.
I really hope DJI can attend to this, and hope this is only a software issue. Otherwise, I suspect all standards out there potentially suffer identical problem.I watched your entired video just now. Can't see you did anything silly.
2016-5-12
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

hihi_shrek Posted at 2016-5-12 13:39
Yes, standard. Bought in April in Hong Kong. Mine was set to a new home point as well. I was able t ...

Thank you for your support.
I think i did everything by the book, followed all the rules.
I got mine in Oct 2015.
Sent it in for shell crack repair and got it back April 12.

Are you still flying?
Mine flies fine, but this crazy stuff happens when i hit "set aircrsft current position". So if DJI is not going to do anything, that would be sad.  I believe dji needs to repay me somehow for my troubles and risking my life. This is the third time!
2016-5-12
Use props
hihi_shrek
lvl.2

Hong Kong

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-13 01:56
I got  ...

Still flying mine, its perfect as long as nothing to do with RTH or home point. I put thru my case to DJI and  they replied me in the most politically correct, template kind of response.

Quote" For your inquiry please note due to the Phantom 3 Standard is useing WIFI to connecting RC and aircraft so that the signal strength is essential for both aircraft and your device. When next tiem you setting the home point please read the User Manual first and then ensure the strong signal appers in both devices and aircraft.
You can download the User Manual here at http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-standard/info#downloads.
Thanks for choosing DJI."

Well. I read the manual thoroughly. My bottom line is, how come the craft can randomly set a new home point when the craft still in the air? They did not answer to this, I guess they don't know why either.

DJI, please! You set this forum up to listen to your customer. We, your customer here in a way is a guinea pig for your product development. Please focus on our voice and rectify the problem/potential trap in your software (which I hope the problem originates)
This is my flight log in case DJI-Ken or anyone wants to have a look. Pay attention to 18m.25s. that's where new home point recorded.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/U3WARW5VPEQZQLPMBBDE/#

2016-5-12
Use props
richmars
lvl.4
Flight distance : 209537 ft
United Kingdom

hihi_shrek Posted at 2016-5-12 19:12
Still flying mine, its perfect as long as nothing to do with RTH or home point. I put thru my case  ...

Looking at the above logs there is something seriously wrong with these quads. Whether it's a fault with these individual examples, or a software/firmware fault I don't know, but the home point should never jump like in the logs. I don't think you can do that via the Go app even if you wanted to.

I hope the technical people at DJI are working 24hrs a day to find out what's going on.
Someone from DJI needs to post here to explain what's happening and what they're doing to fix it. Until they do, I'm not flying.
2016-5-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-13 01:56
I got  ...

It may have something to do with that you are resetting the home point within the 20m radius.
I have forwarded your video on and waiting on an answer.Also, what is your email and I will have your flight analyzed. And star the flight before syncing.
2016-5-12
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-12 15:35
It may have something to do with that you are resetting the home point within the 20m radius.
I hav ...

Thank you for taking some action for me, Ken. I honestly can not do anything here without your support.

Actually, for the same thing happened on April 14th flight, my aircraft was over 30? Distance from take off. And the home point jumped juat like this one. So, the 20m distance from take off is not something that affects this.
However if it is!, the aircraft should land where it is, isnt that correct? In which case, my aircraft did not do, so it is again, eliminating the possibility that it is pilot error.. Would you disagree?

I have tested the standards reaction when it is within 20m from take off and rth is initiated, it slowly lands. It does not attempt return to home. Isnt that supposed to be built into each phantom?

Note: my aircraft has been sent into dji CA for shell crack repair.

Thanks again.
2016-5-12
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-12 15:35
I hav ...

Has been sent in thr past for shell repair.*

My email i have given to you already, ryanlam115@gmail.com

Ill star the flights and sync again
2016-5-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-13 04:59
Thank you for taking some action for me, Ken. I honestly can not do anything here without your sup ...

I was only talking about resetting the home point from within the 20m radius because when you reset it it said maximum distance, but i don't think that would cause an issue anyways.
Anyways, what is your ticket# and I will also have the DAT files read to see what is going on.

And for anyone else that says the home point resets by itself or resetting it and it doesn't set to where the aircraft is (as long as you have good GPS) then please provide your email, the date and time of the flight or star it and sync the flight records and I will take a look at the flight records.
And also which aircraft you have.
2016-5-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-13 05:01
Has been sent in thr past for shell repair.*

My email i have given to you already, ryanlam115@gm ...

Got it, thanks.
2016-5-12
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-13 01:28
Hey thabks for your attention.
The rth is cancelled as you can notice on the stop of the beeping  ...

i calibrate in middle of a field, i exaggerate a little bit and dont even put my belt on!!!!, leave the RC by the car once i initiate the calibration process. once calibrated, i double check by putting a cardboard box down with an arrow which i point towards north using a manual compass. i then put the p3 on the arrow facing north and look on the app map to see if they coincide.
as far as height, it looked like you were doing it over your head, maybe im wrong on that.

without the p3 and the rc. disable wifi and open google maps and see if your phones gps is reporting correct position on the map.
good luck
2016-5-12
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-12 17:06
I was only talking about resetting the home point from within the 20m radius because when you reset ...

Ticket number.

I filled out a customer survey already.
I hope there will be a resolve for my case, and an explaination.  
Many thanks !
2016-5-12
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules