Rolling shutter with inspire pro
3255 8 2016-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alex_Tournay
lvl.1

Hey guys!
I was wondering if anyone had some good advice regarding rolling shutter with DJI inspire Pro.
I shot some aerials this afternoon and there are some small details on the frame that transformed into "jello", see by yourself on the link above. (More precisely a hill, that's quite amusing actually.)
But as amusing that might be, I would really appreciate if I could prevent that from happening next time. Any ideas? Do you know if it's fixable in post ?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.co ... 20Inspire%20Pro.mp4

Thank you from Belgium!

2016-5-7
Use props
MJones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74783 ft
United States

My understanding is that your shutter speed must be twice your videeo frame rate
2016-5-7
Use props
FlyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106483 ft
Belgium

Alex,

You will get the best result using an ND filter. There are already some good posts on that topic.
2016-5-8
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Hi Alex,

What shutter speed did you have set? As Flyguy says, an ND filter will allow you to lower the shutter speed helping to reduce jello.
2016-5-10
Use props
windwardbound
lvl.2

I don't know if that is rolling shutter or not.  It's hard to really tell from the footage and be completely sure.  I don't know what lens you are using, nor the shutter speed used.  But, using an ND filter will help you assure your aperture will end up at around f8.  The Olympus M.Zuiko line of lenses like about the half mark or middle mark in terms of aperture, somewhere around f4 to f10 seems to work best.  Is there undue stress on your gimbal?  Is your gimbal balanced?  Try this:  Set your shutter speed to twice the frame rate as respects the settings for the film type being used; 4k@30fps (I use 2k@30fps), set your shutter speed to 1/60, shoot in manual mode, ISO 200, style Custom (0) (-1) (-2), D-cinelike for color, WB set at Custom-4500K and see what happens and if the shaky footage goes away.  Try using auto focus, do not use Auto Exposure.  If you do not have a variable ND filter try a few ND filters until you can get your aperture in the middle.  If you still have the same problem try using 1/80 and look at the difference in the footage.  Make sure you balance your camera/lens so that it stays pointing perfectly straight when you power off your AC.  If it tilts down when the AC is powered off, add counter weight to the camera until it stays pointing straight ahead.  Best of luck and post your results.  I would like to hear if it solves your problem.  Good luck!  
2016-5-10
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Flying a little more slowly is probably the single best piece of advice other than to use a slower shutter speed that is a lower multiple of 2x the frame rate. The latter increases motion blurring and obscures the RS effect as a result. All CMOS sensors are susceptible to RS.
2016-5-10
Use props
Alex_Tournay
lvl.1

Okay, thank you for your answers, I'll try to combine all your advices and come back with new footage... Thank's again !
2016-5-14
Use props
JeffL16c
New

Canada

Hi guys,

I've been having a similar issue myself. I have the shutter speed at 1/125, filming at 60p, have an ND filter on the camera, but I'm still getting the jello effect every so often. Any other suggestions on how to fix? Here's an example shot of what I get.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o4zTQDQPYUMpXEFiobuU9Fb3inhpO2WG/view
2021-3-29
Use props
advcontractors
New

India

Window coverings are not just for aesthetics. They also provide protection for your home and there are many ways they can do this. Roller shutters London is one option you may consider, as the shutters will protect your windows by adding extra security to your windows. Contact Adv contractors now !!!
https://advcontractors.co.uk/
2022-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules