Be nice to be able to record a video and take photos concurrently...
754 9 2016-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

United States

I'd love to be able to do both video and photography at the same time....I always my video recording on when i take off as I fly to my subject...once there, yes, I want to record the scene or the object I'm there for, but sometimes I wish I can just photograph without having to turn off my recorder.  I find myself having to stop recording, and shoot photographs, and as a photographer, most times I want different angles of the same shot.  Then I have to fly back to where I was at, start recording again, and then I see something else I like----you get the picture.  

I'm sure some of you will say, take a screen shot of my recording or extract the picture from the movie, but it----it's just not the same.....when you do photography, sometimes you stretch to get the utmost angle, and sometimes a recording just can't allow you to have that---freedom.   Maybe it's all in my head.  And plus, I don't see the photographs from a video being better than taking an actual photo....Maybe have dual cameras...that's it!!!  hehe...or somehow, dual lens....You see, I can always edit out the extra (say) lag/down time in the video I spend angling my lens to get that perfect shot...but you just can't always get that perfect shot from extracting a photo out of a video.

Maybe for the time being, MAYBE have a dual processor where one records continuously, while the other processor focuses on taking photos?  That way, I can always keep my recorder on, and take photos...I know HD camcorders (even from 15-20 years ago) have/had an button where you can take a still shot while you're videotaping, but it was never the same as if you had set that camcorder up for photography.  Something was always missing....I figure in this day and age, maybe---just maybe---you know <wink wink>

I know someone of you guys gotta feel the same way I do....
2016-5-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If the aircraft is recording 4K, it is using 100% of its processing capacity doing just that, and the sensor is in a certain mode for that operation. There is no time to switch the sensor to the still mode and record a still shot while the movie process is in operation. Sure, you could do it if you had a second camera, along with a second processor and a second SD card.... but who is going to pay for all that additional equipment?

2016-5-7
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2136716 ft
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-8 06:34
If the aircraft is recording 4K, it is using 100% of its processing capacity doing just that, and th ...

I have a Canon compact that will take a photo whilst filming video
2016-5-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-5-8 19:33

I have a miniature horse that raids the fridge, so?

Is the Canon compact recording 4K video at a rate of 60 megabits per second at the time, and is able to suddenly switch its sensor to 12 Megabit still mode for an instant in time, then go back to recording 4K video without missing a frame. I doubt it.

In any event, it does not matter, the Phantom camera system cannot.

2016-5-8
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-5-8 11:33

...and most probably it will not really take a photo but save one frame of your video as a jpeg or raw.
Just do the math and you will see it is impossible to REALLY take a picture while recording video without severe loss of quality of either picture or video and most probably both.
2016-5-8
Use props
Alan Guan
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Alan Guan Posted at 2016-5-9 08:54
If you really wanna take a video and take photos simultainesly just screenshot your ipad

You would be better off taking a frame out of a 4K video file than taking an iPad screen shot, as it is only 720p material on the iPad.
2016-5-8
Use props
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

United States

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-5-8 04:33

that's typically a screen capture and not really taking a picture...
2016-5-8
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2136716 ft
Canada

PhanFran Posted at 2016-5-8 06:57
...and most probably it will not really take a photo but save one frame of your video as a jpeg or ...

Got round to trying it out today. It will take a RAW shot during video but there's a short 'blip' in the video where the picture was taken
2016-5-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You either are recording 4K video or looking to capture 12mp stills. Two different activities.

I never wish to eat and drink at the same time... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules