Attempting repairs after a very rough Phantom 2 crash. Motor beeps
2772 3 2015-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mriedesel
New

United States

Long story short, my Phantom 2 was crushed by large farm machinery and I'm attempting to get it running again. I've taken the whole thing apart and I'm trying to isolate which components need to be replaced. This is going to be vague and weird but I'm hoping someone has some experience with troubleshooting Phantom 2 issues that could maybe point me in the right direction.
The capacitors on the main board were damaged, I've since replaced those, but it's quite possible my mainboard has fractures that aren't visible to the eye.

So here's the current situation: when I turn on the unit, it does the normal light sequence and beeps, but one of the motors also beeps (the one connectd to the m3 area) at a roughly 1 second interval and the LEDs on the Phantom blink yellow. I suspected either the motor or motor controller was damaged, so I swapped the m3 and m4 motors/controllers and as it turns out, both motor/controllers beep when connected to m3, so I'm assuming it's an issue with the main board. (This video has the beeping that's identical to what I'm seeing with my Phantom 2: ).  I get a steady 12 volts from the main board on both connectors, so I'm confused as to why one side beeps and the other doesn't..

My question: is the Phantom 2 intentionally producing the beeping as a diagnostic, or is my main board likely just damaged?

My main controller seems to be fine, as I can connect it to the control software and it reports all the devices (gps, radio, etc).

The second confusing issue is that of the radio transmitter. It doesn't seem as though I can pair it with my controller anymore. I press the button on the receiver until it blinks red, but then after 2 red blinks it goes back to steady red.  Does anyone know if the Phantom 2 is designed to refuse pairing with the controller if it's experiencing an error, such as whatever is causing the motor beeping?

I do hope that made at least some sense. I'm comfortable with a soldering iron, so any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks!

-Mark
2015-1-17
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

The beeping sounds like and ESC problem, probably with the main board since you swapped them though. I have had an ESC beeping that led to me replacing an ESC. I also had to replace my main board after a different hard crash, its pretty easy though. The radio problem is most likely related to the damaged main board, but I would check the receiver inside visually to make sure it didn't get damaged as well. Cheers and hope you get her flying again soon.

My Hanger
Phantom 2w/H3-3D gimbal & GoPro Hero3+, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, iOSDMini, Large Skids
Phantom 2 w/600tvl, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, V2ESC's, MultiStar 2212 Motors, iOSD Mini, Custom Wood Skids &Paint
Lumenier QAV250 Carbon on 4S, Cobra 2204/1960Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, Aero Guard, CF Camera Mount, CC3D, FrSkyD4R-II, Mobius
Hubsan X4 Stock mini racer, Hubsan X4107DNon FPV(now) racer project, Taranis X9D w/external Antenna & 2200mah lipo, Dominator V2's w/goggle mod
Check Out My http://www.youtube.com/humboldt710 Channel
2015-1-17
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Input signal abnormal  (Secret decoder ring - beep codes)

A new main board would run about $60
2015-1-17
Use props
mriedesel
New

United States

That gives me a great starting point, thanks for the info, Humboldt710 and gil.

Is the main controller just stuck on to the board with an adhesive? That thing seems very well adhered.
2015-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules