Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Video Record Time Increase
9236 25 2016-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lvl.1
United States

Hi Every One,

I am using Osmo to record a church service.  But the Recording stops every 30mins.  Is there a setting or something that i need to change, for the osmo to be able to continuously record instead of having to hit the record button every 30mins.

--JB
2016-5-9
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, JB
Unfortunately, I'll have to say that it's designed to stop the video recording every 30 mins to attain a better quality of the image in the latest firmware.

If you have any other question, please contact us freely!
Thanks for your understanding!
2016-5-9
Use props
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-10 11:30
Hi, JB
Unfortunately, I'll have to say that it's designed to stop the video recording every 30 mins  ...

hi Adela,

That is very disappointing, i see from other posts that DJI is working on live streaming capabilities, i dont know how you can do that without fixing this first??

--Johnson B
2016-5-23
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

I don't know if you know that you also lose footage during the osmo starting a new file... The severity depends on the recording format
2016-5-23
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

512698652 Posted at 2016-5-24 00:12
hi Adela,

That is very disappointing, i see from other posts that DJI is working on live stream ...

Hello.
It's true, our engineers are working on the live streaming to meet our customers' preference. Hope you'll like it, too.
In the latest firmware, the 30 minutes recording limitation is designed on purpose to assure the quality of the videos, considering the duration of the normal battery is about 30-40 minutes while recording, so the recording limitation should be reasonable.

Our engineers will take serious consideration about your concern. Please don't worry too much about it.

Any other suggestion or feedback would be appreciated.
2016-5-23
Use props
lvl.1
United States

Adela, the external battery extender and the firmware update all came around the same month only a few days gap. I was excited to purchase the external battery extender as i wouldnt have to change the battery every 30mins. Now am back to sqare 1 with this limitation. I believe the firmware updates should also consider the great possibilities like the battery extenders do when building the accessories as well as the firmware updates.

the only reason for stressing so much is , i believe in hardware limitations but not software limitations. Hope DJI understands this concern.

-JB
2016-5-24
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

512698652 Posted at 2016-5-25 03:53
Adela, the external battery extender and the firmware update all came around the same month only a f ...

Hi JB,
Thanks for your reply.
I see your point.
The external battery extender make it more convenient for our users not only in prolonging the duration of the battery lifetime, but also the compatibility with other batteries make it more portable to use it outside. In another words, with the external battery extender, you can use the Osmo anywhere anytime.
Well, concerning about the recording limitation, it's mainly for the sake of the image quality and safety. As you know, the longer you use the Osmo, the higher the temperature will rise, considering the rising temperature may affect the performance of the recording, our engineers has set the limitation in programming.

Thanks for your understanding.
2016-5-24
Use props
alvintoro
lvl.1
United States

Adela when I initially purchased my Osmos they did not have this limitation. I shot many events with my units and never had "quality" issues with ANY of my clips. Then the last firmware put this limitation on and I have not upgraded (except for 1 of my units) and I'm still not had a single issue in quality. But what's more concerning is that the one I did upgrade, gets just as hot when I restart recording immediately after the unit stops on its own as the units that record continuously. I can't stress how important it is for event shooters to not have a software imposed limitation on recording times.
2016-5-30
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The Osmo is imported as a still camera with video capability. That limits it to 30 minutes continuous recording.
2016-5-30
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

alvintoro Posted at 2016-5-30 17:13
Adela when I initially purchased my Osmos they did not have this limitation. I shot many events with ...

Hello.
I'm glad that you've never had any "quality" issue with your recordings.
I believe the limitation was set by our engineers after serious consideration.
If there's any inconvenience caused, I beg your pardon. Your feedback will always be conveyed to our relevant coworkers and we'll double check all your points.

Any further feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks for your understanding and your support.
2016-5-30
Use props
alvintoro
lvl.1
United States

As always thank you for you prompt reply. Do you think you could find out a little more specific information from your engineers about their findings? What exact quality issue did they see that made them put that limitation on the new firmware. Will I permanently damage my old firmware units by running them continuously over 30 minutes? If I don't upgrade the firmware, will I loose my warranty?
2016-5-30
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

alvintoro Posted at 2016-5-31 12:46
As always thank you for you prompt reply. Do you think you could find out a little more specific inf ...

IMHO, for any electronic products, the longer you use it, the faster the inner component would be aged, which definitely will shorten the lifetime of the device. You'd better to cool it down when the unit turns too hot after a period of using.  
In the latest firmware, except for the 30 minutes recording limitation, there are other updates in it. For a better user experience, we would always recommend updating the firmware to the latest one. If you insist on the former firmware, it will be still in our warranty according to our after-sales policy. However, if you have any reported issues in the former firmware, we may still suggest you upgrade the firmware to solve issues.

Thanks for your understanding.
2016-5-31
Use props
BigStuart
lvl.3
United Kingdom

It's a stupid limitation.  I have a Canon XF100 which records 50mbps bitrate, and it continuously creates new files when each file size reaches the limit (I think 4gb).  The new file takes over where the old one left off, and it doesn't lose a single frame.  Even a GoPro does exactly the same thing.

Adela, your engineers are talking nonsense to you, you need some new engineers.
2016-5-31
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

BigStuart Posted at 2016-5-31 17:57
It's a stupid limitation.  I have a Canon XF100 which records 50mbps bitrate, and it continuously cr ...

Hi BigSturat,
Thanks for your information.
I believe the positive trend of technology development, I think we'll always trying to keep up with the new generation of the technical world.

Well noted about your concern and will try our best to find a better solution in the future.

2016-5-31
Use props
stuartdye_photo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The 29min 59sec limitation on some video cameras is also related to duty and tax! DSLRs had this limitation for years...and yes also related to the FAT32 memory card storage format, i was filming a wedding a few weeks ago in a hotel room filming the groom getting ready, my osmo was very hot indeed and i was only filming in 5-8min chunks. so i can see what DJi are saying that they dont want to stress the camera components when filming as the FAN IS OFF. Some Black magic cameras show a Fixed-pattern-Noise when filming in hot long durations. Even the newer sony A7 somthing...auto shuts down when its too hot to protect the inner components. I will try a test very soon...keeping the osmo fan ON when filming and using my ExFAT formatted memory card and plugged to a external power device!
2016-6-1
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

stuartdye_photo Posted at 2016-6-2 11:05
The 29min 59sec limitation on some video cameras is also related to duty and tax! DSLRs had this lim ...

Thanks for your comment and understanding.
I'd like to point out that even if you would shoot with an exFAT card, it still has a 4GB file size limitation for some reason.

Any further feedback would be appreciated.
2016-6-1
Use props
uzbeckin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 126683 ft
Australia

Hi,  I also am recording for a church service and want to go over 30 minutes.   Could I leave the fan on or revert to the previous firmware?
2016-8-31
Use props
uzbeckin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 126683 ft
Australia

Does the osmo+ have the same time limit of 30 minutes?
2016-8-31
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

Yes Osmo+ has the same record limit.  I've found it's actually less than 30mins.  Stops somewhere between 26-28mins.
2017-2-10
Use props
Guerinomaione
lvl.2
Italy

Hallo, my Osmo plus has the same limit. I think that the engeneers would avoid this. Is it possible downgrade the firmware?
2017-3-24
Use props
fans892c8749
lvl.2
United States

The 29min 59sec continuous Record limitation is unacceptable,  because this is not list in the specifications can only reflect badly for the credibility of DJI.  Every camera I have ever had has been able to continuously record to the capacity of the maximum card size in this case 64gb.   Had I known before hand I would have NOT purchased the Osmo+. It really a shame because the product is every good in all other aspect and I believe that DJI should revisit this limitation and make this product into a great product.
Perhaps a work around would to allow the Wi-Fi stream to record to an external recorder for long form work?
2017-4-26
Use props
EdSvcs
New
United States

This is making the Osmo+ completely useless for the purpose we bought it for... Does anyone know of a workaround, patch, hack, whatever? The recording time limitation is not based on engineering .. it is a business decision - sounds to me like DJI got caught importing these as still cameras and instead of doing the right things by their customers and own up to it, they turned it into one...
2017-11-24
Use props
Charles Path
New

Brazil

Hi everyone, this issue with the 30 min aprox recording just rendered my osmo useless as well! We need to be able to set it on and off, as on the default! It's not up to you guys for how long do I need to record! Please! Take a better look at this issue! Specially beacause there's no where saying anything about it! Also, I'm using the battery extender, which gives for every one virtually no time limit in battery life!
2018-1-17
Use props
Ponderosa Flyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 277572 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-30 18:58
Hello.
I'm glad that you've never had any "quality" issue with your recordings.
I believe the limitation was set by our engineers after serious consideration.

The 30 minute limit has nothing to do with image quality or safety.  The EU imposes an additional tax on cameras that qualify as "video" cameras, which it defines as recording for 30 mintues or more.  You'll find that MANY cameras, especially DSLRs with video capabilities, ARTIFICIALLY limit their video recording to 29 minutes and 59 seconds to avoid this tax.  For many of those DSLRs, people have developed hacks to remove the limitation.   I would dearly love if someone would come up with a hack for the Osmo for this purpose, or DJI would provide the information necessary to create such a hack.  This limitation dramatically reduces the usefulness of this camera!  I understand that DJI must comply with the laws regarding this, and must sell a camera that cannot go over 30 minutes.  But they should be able to provide a work around that the end-customer can apply themselves.
2018-4-2
Use props
noxid8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1998 ft
United States

Just tried to use the Osmo + to record a soccer game using my 30ft tripod. It was great until the video stopped shot of 30min and I had to restart it, every 30min, what a pain! This is unsaceptable. This interrupts the film. I use an external battery and can run for hours. We NEED more than 30min of recording. This is going to go back to DJI with this limitation. Does the X5 have this limitation?
2018-4-21
Use props
The Workshop
New
South Africa

Hi There. I’m using my Osmo Mobile 2 to record our church services. The issue I have at the moment is one of the clips is 63.08mins long and it keep giving me a error message when trying to save it to my gallery. I have a 256g iPhone 8 so there’s enough space available. Is there a maximum time length in order to save it? I also tried editing it and cutting off the beginning bits that isn’t needed but it only allows me to edit up to 10mins. All the other shorter video save no problem except the one that’s 63.08mins long. Please let me know if there are any other methods of getting the video off as we need it please. Thanks Brett
A3F44F5F-D2B0-48E1-93DA-27D4AA1BB4A0.png
2019-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules