Adjusting Focus on Osmo, PLEASE HELP
28255 15 2016-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jenlist
New

United States

Hi,

It says you can adjust the focus "through the screen"  BUT HOW?

I have been looking and experimenting for hours and I cannot find this information anywhere.  I read all the forums, watched nearly a dozen tutorials, read the manual, updated the camera firmware and app, etc.

When I touch the screen I get options for exposure (when I am in Shutter Priority) and I get the blue circle for panning & tilting the gimbal around, but I cannot tell how to affect focus.  WHen I am in Manual and I touch the screen it says "Cannot Focus in M mode" leaving me to beleive that touching the screen is supposed to affect focus.  I've tried everything.  What am I missing?

I shot some footage with it a few days ago, (in full manual mode) and upon reviewing it, anything about 8-10 feet or closer is quite noticably soft, whereas the deep background is sharp.  I did not attempt to change the focus during the shot as I did not know I could.  (I'd read older info that said it was fixed focus and anything from about 4 feet away to infinity would be sharp)

I am using it for a professional music video shoot on Wednesday and I can't figure it out.  Can anyone please explain it to me?

PS. I'm a professional cinematographer with over 20 years experience, but this is my first project using the Osmo, in case thats relevant about how to respond.

THANKS!

Jendra Jarnagin
floatingcamera.com

2016-5-10
Use props
tedrosenberger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23665 ft
United States

I assume you mean the standard OSMO with the X3 camera.  That has a set focus and cannot be adjusted.   With the new X5, you can set focus by tapping a little icon in the DJI GO app.
2016-5-10
Use props
paull
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I concur with this. You can tap either exposure or focus. Top left in the app. For X5 only though.
2016-5-10
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello! Jendra Jarnagin,
Thanks for using the DJI Osmo!
In the Osmo Pro firmware v1.1.0.10, after launching the DJI GO App in your mobile device with connecting to the Osmo WiFi, you can tap the Camera icon, scroll down to find the AF/MF Focus Assist items, you can choose to turn them on/off.
In the left top corner of the screen, you can find a "AF/MF" icon, tap either, you can adjust the Focus of your X5.

If you have any question, please don't hesitate to contact us!
2016-5-10
Use props
jenlist
New

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-11 03:00
Hello! Jendra Jarnagin,
Thanks for using the DJI Osmo!
In the Osmo Pro firmware v1.1.0.10, after lau ...

Aha!

Thanks everyone.  I was using the director's Osmo, and in all my hours of researching, I never came across the information that there were two different models of camera X3 and X5.  SO yeah, it was fixed focus, and it turns out that by the time you get close enough to frame a person, THEY ARE SOFT!  What a shame for an otherwise exciting product.
2016-5-13
Use props
ChicagoVideogra
lvl.2

United States

As with all cameras if you choose a higher shutter rate it will be crisper, as will choosing 30 instead of 24. I for one will avoid using this in lower light. I would think a music video indoors would not be a good use of a 3X. After all, it's not meant to replace an AS7 in a Ronin, is it? We're getting what we're paying for.

Ned
2016-5-13
Use props
jquintero
lvl.1
Flight distance : 354469 ft
Colombia

If the x3 has adjusted focus then what is the distance of the focal point? what is the minimum distance of an object to be in focus?
2017-3-9
Use props
fanse4cb4c94
lvl.2
  • >>>
South Africa

At 22mm it's about 50cm
2017-3-9
Use props
Paul Nordin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1267953 ft
  • >>>
United States

ChicagoVideogra Posted at 2016-5-13 09:20
As with all cameras if you choose a higher shutter rate it will be crisper, as will choosing 30 instead of 24. I for one will avoid using this in lower light. I would think a music video indoors would not be a good use of a 3X. After all, it's not meant to replace an AS7 in a Ronin, is it? We're getting what we're paying for.

Ned

Crisper yes, but if he's looking to increase his depth of focus he needs to stop down the iris...if that's possible on his model.
2017-3-12
Use props
Marc Salama
lvl.1
France

Hi, i'm an osmo pro (X5) owner, who bought it after trying the X3 which autofocus pretty well. I have been pretty much deceived by the Dji Go app with X5, Big auto focus problem... There's none ! i had to tap the screen continually to set the focus. Bad news when you want to move the caméra isn't it ? As a tech journalist in France for Sonovision/Mediakwest, online and paper magazine for professionnals, I am going to have report this bad news, knowing that the cheapest osmo works much better than the Osmo Pro (3 times the price) ! And I am going to send my model back to Dji, if i don't have a good news quickly before the spring big gathering in paris of camera professionals.
2017-3-31
Use props
nicksta
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1371834 ft
United Kingdom

Marc Salama Posted at 2017-3-31 03:50
Hi, i'm an osmo pro (X5) owner, who bought it after trying the X3 which autofocus pretty well. I have been pretty much deceived by the Dji Go app with X5, Big auto focus problem... There's none ! i had to tap the screen continually to set the focus. Bad news when you want to move the caméra isn't it ? As a tech journalist in France for Sonovision/Mediakwest, online and paper magazine for professionnals, I am going to have report this bad news, knowing that the cheapest osmo works much better than the Osmo Pro (3 times the price) ! And I am going to send my model back to Dji, if i don't have a good news quickly before the spring big gathering in paris of camera professionals.

I bought the DJI remote follow focus unit, really good and gives you precise control.
2017-3-31
Use props
chartercable
lvl.1
Flight distance : 109334 ft
United States

What about zooming in a bit does that help?
2017-4-1
Use props
Dr. Carmen
New
Flight distance : 164797 ft
Egypt

I find the focus is less than desirable on my osmo+ X3... I'm also new to these forums and it won't yet allow me to post about the video noise issues my osmo is having...Many of my shots have a heavy amount of noise and artefacting in the video. Anyone know if there is a fix? Thanks
2017-4-2
Use props
Heir InVioLable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Marc Salama Posted at 2017-3-31 03:50

Good luck with that, I'm pretty sure your complaint will be filed away.  Far Far Far away.
I do feel for you though.  I have the same unit and when I'm using it for run and gun, I have to use the Focus with it,  and on that tiny screen I can barely make out my Peak signatures.  Suprised there is really no auto.
2017-5-4
Use props
trialanderror
New
United States

I'm running Firmware 1.6.1.0 with an OSMO+ and I don't see such a setting after tapping the Camera icon (scrolling down and do NOT find the AF/MF Focus Assist items). So how do I focus the camera other than constantly pressing on the green AF box?
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Dr. Carmen Posted at 2017-4-2 04:17
I find the focus is less than desirable on my osmo+ X3... I'm also new to these forums and it won't yet allow me to post about the video noise issues my osmo is having...Many of my shots have a heavy amount of noise and artefacting in the video. Anyone know if there is a fix? Thanks

I wonder if your artifacts for the video is also interfering with your focusing on the X3. What version of firmware are you using? Can you post a video on what you are seeing? One thing to try would be to reset the camera settings and delete any previous camera cache you may have.
2017-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules