Weak transmission signal Phantom 4
1149129 1149129 2016-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ROCKET-VAPOR
New

United States

I also have had issues with temporary signal lost and weak image transmission. My Phontom 4 is almost a year old with no crashes, and has all available firmware updates installed. I fly my Phantom 4 using a iPhone 6 that has the latest iOS operating stystem and runs on Verizon as the cell provider. The first time I noticed the weak transmission signal/ temporary signal lost was after the 11/30/2016 Phantom 4 firmware update. I flew to 400' above my head on a hill for a panoramic video, and the DJI GO app showed -400' and the Phantom 4 motors sounded like they were rising their rpm while I was cautiously trying to bring it down without killing the motors. The next time this happened to me was in the empty field behind my house, that I regularly fly in. I had my Phantom 4 at about 200' elevation and about 3,000' away and I got the "weak video transmission " on the DJI GO app. I don't know if I should downgrade my Phantom 4 firmware to pre- 11/30/2016 , or should I try to fly through the DJI GO 4 app???

I am just confused, because my Phantom 4 used to have excellent signal strength at over 2 miles away!
2017-3-7
Use props
ROCKET-VAPOR
New

United States

I also have had issues with temporary signal lost and weak image transmission. My Phontom 4 is almost a year old with no crashes, and has all available firmware updates installed. I fly my Phantom 4 using a iPhone 6 that has the latest iOS operating stystem and runs on Verizon as the cell provider. The first time I noticed the weak transmission signal/ temporary signal lost was after the 11/30/2016 Phantom 4 firmware update. I flew to 400' above my head on a hill for a panoramic video, and the DJI GO app showed -400' and the Phantom 4 motors sounded like they were rising their rpm while I was cautiously trying to bring it down without killing the motors. The next time this happened to me was in the empty field behind my house, that I regularly fly in. I had my Phantom 4 at about 200' elevation and about 3,000' away and I got the "weak video transmission " on the DJI GO app. I don't know if I should downgrade my Phantom 4 firmware to pre- 11/30/2016 , or should I try to fly through the DJI GO 4 app???

I am just confused, because my Phantom 4 used to have excellent signal strength at over 2 miles away!
2017-3-7
Use props
matchan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85758 ft
Japan

I told a Japanese agent about this issue. .
The agent said it costs money.
I wonder why the money is cost though many people are having  this issue as product-specific issues.
It is important to release a lot of products, but also want quality emphasis.
2017-3-8
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

ROCKET-VAPOR Posted at 2017-3-7 19:38

Hi Rocket-Vapor
Try removing your SD card from the AC then turn on your RC then AC once it is all booted up reinstall the SD card while it is still on then reformat the SD card (note you will lose everything on the SD card so if you want to keep anything copy it elsewhere). I had a weak signal about 4 weeks ago and tried this and it worked. I found this solution on Utube.

Cheers
2017-3-8
Use props
Malhard 9
lvl.1

Brazil

It is annoying to buy an expensive product and not be able to use it. DJI has all the resources to solve problems like these and still leaves us in the dark.

I bought Phantom to work and I could not do any work because I can not get a video broadcast... I never imagined that such an "advanced" product would have such a stupid problem.
Problem I never faced when I used the good and old Phantom 2.

I've always been a big fan of DJI but I'm really very upset about this problem, even because it's causing me a loss in my business.
2017-3-8
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

Firmware in controller, roll back to fix.
2017-3-9
Use props
ROCKET-VAPOR
New

United States

I did just install a new SD card, and this was when my weak connection started.

So new SD cards should be formatted before being used in the Phantom 4?

Can a new SD card be formatted by being placed into the Phantom 4 quadcopter and using the DJI GO 4 app?
2017-4-13
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

You can indeed format the SD card using the app, can't see why that would affect range however, do let us know if there is any difference.
2017-4-13
Use props
fansaa02d484
New
Sweden

No weak signal here. 16700miles/5.1km, could go further but the winds took alot of battery. No RTH but got the message "weak image transmission" at around 3km but the image was good.
All stock and no custom aettings. Have to be really exact poniting the antennas at that range..
2017-5-19
Use props
Larsaunitz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 384406 ft
Sweden

Having the same issue, I have a brand new Phantom 4, I can fly roughly 150-200 meters away then I get gitter on the screen, at 300 meters I loose connection. I have a Phantom 3 standard that I get 500+ in the same location.
2017-5-23
Use props
fansead139e0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 892339 ft
Spain

Hi Guys, so i had the same problem with my P4, until today, hopefully. What i did was, made latest FW for remote controller and copter, performed IMU calibration, remote controller linking with the copter, and today i flew 1,5 km with no problem or screen flickers. I will try to fly in places where i had this problem and will see if it's totally gone or not.
2017-7-19
Use props
fansd6339e37
lvl.1
Flight distance : 297684 ft
United States

I had to re-install the firmware twice
2017-7-19
Use props
Bradleyray2003
New
Flight distance : 20269 ft
United States

I have returned my Phantom 4 twice to address this weak transmission signal issue. I received a replacement Phantom 4 today and it has the same exact problem. Loss of signal at a range of just over 1,000 feet. It says it has the latest firmware. I'm extremely frustrated and am willing to pay the difference in price for the Phantom 4 Pro. Please advise.
2017-10-2
Use props
SjCutting
lvl.3
United States

Bradleyray2003 Posted at 2017-10-2 16:30
I have returned my Phantom 4 twice to address this weak transmission signal issue. I received a replacement Phantom 4 today and it has the same exact problem. Loss of signal at a range of just over 1,000 feet. It says it has the latest firmware. I'm extremely frustrated and am willing to pay the difference in price for the Phantom 4 Pro. Please advise.

I was having trouble as well until I put in a new SD card and formatted it. I also started putting my antennas straight out from the remote, rather than up. Not sure which thing worked, but no more loss of video transmission.
2017-10-2
Use props
fans68676eda
New
Flight distance : 9511 ft
Bulgaria

calls4u2 Posted at 2017-4-13 22:33
You can indeed format the SD card using the app, can't see why that would affect range however, do let us know if there is any difference.

Phantom 4 No or week video feed
I use latest APP and Firmware.

Lost my HD feed after swapping SD card with my DSLR camera, 16GB fill up pretty fast....
Noticed that transmitting led was red after the swap, didn't think more about it.
Started to fly and after a few sec 20-100% of screen turned green or magenta in a flickering fasion.
Removed SD card and picture was back.
Formatted SD card and transmission led turned green.
HD feed is back to normal.
Formatted SD card in camera and replaced it in drone, HD feed lost again.
Formatted SD card in drone, HD feed is fine.
Renamed SD card, lost HD feed again.
Removed name, HD feed is back.

Looks like the name of the card is the problem, nothing else, strange phenomena.

When SD card is removed, transition led turns red, connection here seam to be the faulty part.
Not sure how naming a SD card can make a Phantom4 lose video feed, but it does.
2017-11-27
Use props
fans68676eda
New
Flight distance : 9511 ft
Bulgaria

fans68676eda Posted at 2017-11-27 11:43
Phantom 4 No or week video feed
I use latest APP and Firmware.

Took a photo and problem is back, format SD card didn't help in the long run.

Time to try the firmware roll back.
2017-11-29
Use props
nickzavi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137257 ft
Greece

same problems here,4months ago i have strong signal and going 5kmh and now i have only 400meters. wtf is going on with the signal and the lightbridge?? i have downgrade to older version but the problem remains.  i dont know im very disappointed. i have try olders versions of firmware and the problem remains. maybe we have a hardware failure because of this crazy updates. failure updates.??? sory for my english. i have the log flights and the signal is poor
2017-11-29
Use props
skyguy17
lvl.3
Flight distance : 190745 ft
United Kingdom

Same here with very weak signal lock levels

Set-up
DJI GO 4 app
iPad Air (model MD786LL/A) running iOS 11.1.2
P4 and RC running latest firmware

Pictures I enclose shows the aircraft and RC FW, the distance they are from each other and type RF signal levels seen. So I feel there are still some problems with your FW around RF signal levels.

2017-11-30
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

skyguy17 Posted at 2017-11-30 11:41
Same here with very weak signal lock levels

Set-up

You need at least one meter distance between RC and AC, this would be the standard distance when measuring radio transmission power.
Also the direction of you RC is way out, antennas should face AC, at that setup pointing straight up.

With that said, i also believe that DJI reprogrammed the radio in those fatal firmware versions and the reason that many of the issues are solved be downgrading but not the range/connection issues is that the older versions don't have a module included for the radio so it won't change back to specs.

The only way to find out is a real measurement of the transmitter power to see if it hold up to the specs, unfortunately i don't have the equipment to measure this.
2017-11-30
Use props
skyguy17
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks KedDK for the suggestions.

Just tried those recommendation in our back garden.  AC and RC are >3M away, antennas are vertical, in direct line of sight of rear AC.  iPad is set to airplane mode so no radios running.  Here are the signal levels I'm getting which I still consider are poor as -90dBm was the best I spotted during this test.

2017-12-1
Use props
dorbot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 844770 ft
France

skyguy17 Posted at 2017-12-1 02:34
Thanks KedDK for the suggestions.

Just tried those recommendation in our back garden.  AC and RC are >3M away, antennas are vertical, in direct line of sight of rear AC.  iPad is set to airplane mode so no radios running.  Here are the signal levels I'm getting which I still consider are poor as -90dBm was the best I spotted during this test.

Those bars indicate noise level not signal level, you want them to be low.
2017-12-6
Use props
skyguy17
lvl.3
United Kingdom

dorbot Posted at 2017-12-6 10:09
Those bars indicate noise level not signal level, you want them to be low.

Thanks Dorbot !

The DJI support guys have told me the same, though I would contest that it would be better to say so as a -100dBm signal is very low. So I feel the GUI is misleading a little especially to someone like me not used to the interface and getting a Poor Signal Performance warning message during flight.
2017-12-6
Use props
Suidog
lvl.2
United States

I’m also having the problem. Wish I had never updated. I loved my drone. Now I’m starting to hate it. I had to by parabolic reflectors just to get it out past a 1000 feet. I use the litchi app so I can do google glasses. Now I don’t feel comfortable flying it around because of the bad signal all the time.
2017-12-30
Use props
knightfoxx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25571 ft
Malaysia

I got the same issue like all of you when it comes to weak transmission with Phantom 4. It all started when I upgraded both the aircraft firmware and the remote controller firmware to the latest (after many months of keeping the drone away). After such a horrible experience, I tried downgrading my aircraft firmware but unfortunately, I could only go down the lowest mentioned. I can't downgrade my remote controller's firmware. I'm currently on the followings:

Aircraft Firmware: v02.00.0700 (Latest firmware)
Remote Controller Firmware: v1.9.3.0
DJI GO 4 App Android: v4.2.21

Unfortunately, the current RC firmware is rubbish. I could only afford 100M of distance before I lose transmission due to weak signal. I have never encounter this before until now.

Please help. How do I return my Phantom 4 back to it's long distance prowess?
2018-4-9
Use props
Trexdominator
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Havin the same issue, green lines, very poor video signal, it used to be fine but since late last year its been awful.
2018-5-2
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Just took delivery of a P4P 2.0 this week. I tried four different mobile devices and none of them can receive a video signal from the bird, even indoors, sitting 18" apart on the coffee table.
I'm thinking maybe the receive antenna for the video receiver in the remote is not connected (factory mistake)?

I did take the drone for a short vertical flight in the back yard today and recorded 3 mins of video. The SD card recording looks great, but no picture on the tablet and very laggy, often unresponsive software. Took 3 tried to get it to acknowledge takeoff command. And about 8 seconds to acknowledge the Rec command for video.

Basically, the drone's unusable without 'eyes'. I can only fly it where I can see it from the ground and I can't tell what I'm recording.
2018-5-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-5-24 18:01
Just took delivery of a P4P 2.0 this week. I tried four different mobile devices and none of them can receive a video signal from the bird, even indoors, sitting 18" apart on the coffee table.
I'm thinking maybe the receive antenna for the video receiver in the remote is not connected (factory mistake)?

Even without an antenna, at 18" distance it would not matter. The most likely problem are the devices you are trying. DJI have a list of recommended devices on their web site in the specs fdor each aircraft.
2018-5-24
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-24 18:59
Even without an antenna, at 18" distance it would not matter. The most likely problem are the devices you are trying. DJI have a list of recommended devices on their web site in the specs fdor each aircraft.

I finally got the right cable to go from my Samsung Note 5 to the controller, and, amazingly, it works! Four other tablets failed miserably... the iPad wouldn't even install the DJI Go 4 app. But my smartphone, once I got it connected with the correct type of cable, no glitches. Took the drone up this morning, taking off from my flat rooftop, got about 100' above the trees and did a slow rotate. It was like a camera on a 200' tall tripod--absolutely steady.
2018-5-25
Use props
knightfoxx
lvl.2
Japan

Hi All,

Have anyone found a solution to the weak signal and heavy interference with the Phantom 4 after firmware upgrade? I used to have a good P4. No crashes and etc. Just after all these firmware upgrades on controller and drone that I am unable to fly the stupid drone past 200m. I keep losing Signal (thank God there's a Return to Home Function).  Please HELP if anyone found a solution. Is this a known product defect with Phantom 4?
2018-7-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

knightfoxx Posted at 2018-7-22 22:27
Hi All,

Have anyone found a solution to the weak signal and heavy interference with the Phantom 4 after firmware upgrade? I used to have a good P4. No crashes and etc. Just after all these firmware upgrades on controller and drone that I am unable to fly the stupid drone past 200m. I keep losing Signal (thank God there's a Return to Home Function). And worst of all, I realized that the drone can no longer calibrate anymore. Everytime, keeps saying that drone need to calibrate but I am unable to get past the 2nd calibration (nose down calibration). Please HELP if anyone found a solution. Is this a known product defect with Phantom 4?

The first part I will address is the calibration. You appear to be trying to perform a compass calibration, which is rarely needed. Can you show us a screen shot of the message that is telling you to perform the compass calibration?
2018-7-22
Use props
knightfoxx
lvl.2
Malaysia

Geebax Posted at 2018-7-22 22:32
The first part I will address is the calibration. You appear to be trying to perform a compass calibration, which is rarely needed. Can you show us a screen shot of the message that is telling you to perform the compass calibration?

Geebax…. thanks... please have a look

FYI...  I also owned a Mavic Pro Plat and it doesn't have the issue that's captured in my screen captures shown here.

2018-7-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

knightfoxx Posted at 2018-7-23 03:32

Aircraft Firmware: v02.00.0106 (2017-07-06)

Thank you, but I would question where the aircraft is sitting in those shots? The primary message is that the aircraft is close to some object that is interferring with the compass, for which the correct action is to move the aircraft, not calibrate the compass.
2018-7-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Aircraft Firmware: v02.00.0106 (2017-07-06)

I replied to your other post on same subject:-

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=154551
2018-7-24
Use props
Marcy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1229938 ft
Canada

Same problem with my phantom 4 with video feedback after100 yards or so . Lost prop at 120 ft hard LANDING? After i patched up flew great for a while and no proplems  hthen i started to notice feedback was getting worse each time out sent out to dji repair for new landing gear an checkup  just got back today great repairs but still cant see videofeedback  records to card fine told me nothing wrong with bird
2018-7-24
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531640 ft
Brazil

g_brian_edwards Posted at 2016-7-18 12:01
Hey Ken. Here's a few screen shots of what's going on. It's terrible.

Is it normal to never see green in the channels?

Why is your channel mode set to custom? I would try to use auto maybe this will help, just my two cents.

Hope you will solve your issue, good luck.
2018-7-24
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Ray_Drone_Pilot Posted at 2018-7-24 09:36
Why is your channel mode set to custom? I would try to use auto maybe this will help, just my two cents.

Hope you will solve your issue, good luck.

You might struggle to get a reply, the post you replied to is over two years old.
2018-7-24
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
lvl.4
Brazil

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-24 13:17
You might struggle to get a reply, the post you replied to is over two years old.

Whaaa my mistake LOL not verry smart though
2018-7-24
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Ray_Drone_Pilot Posted at 2018-7-24 13:49
Whaaa my mistake LOL not verry smart though

I only noticed because I've done it myself quite a few times now :-)

An easy mistake to make when you lose yourself in some of the posts.
2018-7-24
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
lvl.4
Brazil

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-24 13:52
I only noticed because I've done it myself quite a few times now :-)

An easy mistake to make when you lose yourself in some of the posts.

Yeah you say it perfectly right I got lost in some posts and thought lets help....

Anyhow thanks for pointing out
2018-7-25
Use props
knightfoxx
lvl.2
Malaysia

Hi All,

I wanted to update everyone on 2 issues I reported:
1 - Compass calibration - SOLVED (replaced the landing gear via DJI Authorized service center)
2 - Remote controller distance on P4 before losing signal - STILL THE SAME

I tested the drone after the landing gear replacement and here's the screenshot of current details

After taking off, re-check all sensors status ie. Compass, IMU, Vision Sensors, ESC - NORMAL

Radio Quality Good - That's still pretty close to me

Before Signal becomes weak - Distance 7.6m Height 72m

Signal becomes weak - Distance 7.7m Height 82m

Here's the available channel and their noise level - I'm on Ch 20

Basically, I'm very disappointed with the range. I never have this issue before last year. I don't really know what happened this year but the range of my P4 is appalling in comparison to my Mavic Pro (same location)!

Anyone figured out any workaround?
2018-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules