Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello guys

Google Maps has recently stopped working offline for me on my Android Go app.  All my flight records show 'Map Loading' for the location and during the flight I just have a blurred very low res map.
I've checked by offline maps is up to date and works when I actually use Google Maps offline.  I've also checked the Go App has 'cache maps' ticked.

Anyone else suffering this or have I got a setting wrong?

Cheers
Ian

2016-5-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You wouldn't be running short of memory on your device ?
2016-5-10
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

On my iPad Air 2 DJI GO asks me if I want to use cellular data to load the maps or not. I guess using Google Maps 'offline' can not and will not load all the regions of the world, so you will always need an Internet connection when you go a bit further than your backyard.
2016-5-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PhanFran Posted at 2016-5-10 22:02
On my iPad Air 2 DJI GO asks me if I want to use cellular data to load the maps or not. I guess usin ...

A degree of truth there, but if you scan over the areas you plan to visit from home when connected to wifi then it 'should' buffer the images in memory.

In the 'General Settings' menu ' Cache Map in the background' switched on, should provide just that.
2016-5-10
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PhanFran Posted at 2016-5-10 22:02
On my iPad Air 2 DJI GO asks me if I want to use cellular data to load the maps or not. I guess usin ...

That's not the case, as many cellular devices have an 'either / or' setting for wi fi and cellualr data, meaning you have no internet if you're connected to the phantom's wifi.
But that's not the point; this used to work perfectly until around a month ago.  Until the last update thinking about it......
I'll check the memory, but the actual offline maps file has downloaded fine as it works if I open up google maps when I'm not connected to the internet.

Ina
2016-5-10
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello wellsi, what's the app version in your android device?
2016-5-10
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-11 07:55
Hello wellsi, what's the app version in your android device?

Hi Paladin
The GO App is Android 2.8.0

I'm running it on Android 4.4.2

Thanks,
Ian

2016-5-11
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

wellsi Posted at 2016-5-11 08:36
That's not the case, as many cellular devices have an 'either / or' setting for wi fi and cellualr ...

OK, but while my P3 or my P4 is flying far away from any wifi I can receive e-mails and see websitres. I guess that these come in through cellular. Don't know how the P3S is controlled thouigh so might miss something here.
2016-5-11
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

wellsi Posted at 2016-5-12 03:56
Hi Paladin
The GO App is Android 2.8.0

Please try to play back the flight record with your device connecting to internet service.When there isn't any map cache in your device and it keeps offline, it will show "Map Loading".
2016-5-12
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-13 03:14
Please try to play back the flight record with your device connecting to internet service.When the ...

Hi Paladin
I don't understand why I now have to do this now? I thought the whole point of cached maps was that you can fly using them without internet connection.

Up until a few weeks ago, the cached maps worked fine on my tablet, during the flight, with no internet.  That's how I could see the position of the drone when flying.
Now those cached maps are being ignored by the App. So instead of seeing the high detailed map, I get a blurred or blank map.  
Has the function of 2.8.0 changed to ignore cached maps, or is there a setting issue that I can rectify?

Cheers
Ian

2016-5-12
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

wellsi Posted at 2016-5-13 14:21
Hi Paladin
I don't understand why I now have to do this now? I thought the whole point of cached m ...

I think you may need to connect to Internet when you check the record for the first time and make sure the map has been cached in the app.
2016-5-12
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-13 07:35
I think you may need to connect to Internet when you check the record for the first time and make  ...

I think his problem isn't with the map in playback.  It's not having the cached map available while flying out in the field where it's needed.
2016-5-13
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-13 07:35
I think you may need to connect to Internet when you check the record for the first time and make  ...

Hi again Paladin

The issue is that the maps do not work at all.  Not when I'm flying; not after when I look at the logs.  Up until a few weeks ago, they did work fine.
I have never had to connect to the internet to see the maps; that's the whole point of cached offline maps.  
What changed in 2.8.0?  
2016-5-14
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

wellsi Posted at 2016-5-14 16:05
Hi again Paladin

The issue is that the maps do not work at all.  Not when I'm flying; not after w ...

As far as I'm concerned, the 2.8.0 app doesn't change the map cache function."Map loading" in viewing flight record was a known issue in the previous version but it has been solved now.So I'd suggest you to reinstall the app and then cache the map with Internet service again.Don't forget to synchronize the flight record before reinstalling the app.
2016-5-14
Use props
GWinford
lvl.1

United States

same with me, no maps on all upgraded devices
2016-12-26
Use props
C. Dave Pappas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 223468 ft
United States

Same with me as well. The satellite imagery worked very well when I first got my P4 about a month and a half ago, now it don't work at all.
2016-12-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

C. Dave Pappas Posted at 2016-12-27 08:31
Same with me as well. The satellite imagery worked very well when I first got my P4 about a month and a half ago, now it don't work at all.

DJI have changed map providers to 'Here' maps, and the result is pretty useless.
2016-12-26
Use props
C. Dave Pappas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 223468 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-26 17:35
DJI have changed map providers to 'Here' maps, and the result is pretty useless.

Maybe it's time to sell this thing and build my own bird. Less restrictions and forced changes.
2016-12-26
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-26 22:35

'Here' seems to be on Android only, IOS still using its own mapping system, data provided by TomTom (and others).
2016-12-26
Use props
Bayguy69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 944275 ft
Puerto Rico

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-26 21:21
'Here' seems to be on Android only, IOS still using its own mapping system, data provided by TomTom (and others).

That's one of the reasons I love my iPad Air 2 with my P4
2016-12-26
Use props
elmt136-sp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7946 ft
United States

I have tha problem in my p3 advanced i need to fixed
2016-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now