No battery lights showing charging if over 95%?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scschulte
lvl.2
Flight distance : 159370 ft
United States

When I charge the P3S batteries from a low level (say 10%) to 100% I first get 1 LED blinking, then 2 then 3 and finally up to all 4 and when the charge is fully complete - the battery lights go off completely.

I unplug the charger, and if I touch the button on the battery - I get 4 full green LED lights.  Fully charged.

So after leaving a day or more I then used the battery to start-up the P3S just to show some friends.  I did this a few times, but didn't start the props turning - just showed how the P3S started with the camera, gimbal, lights etc.

But this morning I thought I'd better top-up the charge so plugged it in and nothing.  Same with the second battery.  Both batteries show 4 full LED lights when the battery button is pushed.

So I am concluding that although the batteries may not be at 100.00% they are probably 96-98% and so at that level, when plugged-in to the charger, this is considered essentially 100% so no further charging takes place.  

IS THAT CORRECT?

Tonight when I plug-in the battery to the P3S I'll note the battery charge read-out.  I don't think I've ever read 100% -- mostly it reads max 98%--- but I assume that the charger won't do any more charging after that 95% level is reached?  (Also guessing that the intelligence here is not the charger, rather this is in the battery itself-- is that correct?)

Thanks for any comments.  

Best regards,

Steve Schulte
Wednesday 11 May 2016

2016-5-11
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

You're correct, if the battery is almost fully charged (I'm unsure the exact threshold) it won't charge back to 100%; it just sits there doing nothing.

However, if you plug it in to the charger and then turn the battery itself on (1 quick press, 1 long press - like normal) the battery will charge to 100%. Once it's finished charging the battery then turns itself off.

Genuine method to top up, recently recommended by a DJI moderator in a forum post.
2016-5-11
Use props
scschulte
lvl.2
United States

ARM-001 Posted at 2016-5-11 15:11
You're correct, if the battery is almost fully charged (I'm unsure the exact threshold) it won't cha ...

Hey I will try that!!  Thanks so much!  

I will report back later or tomorrow on this!

Thanks again,

Steve
Wednesday 11 May 2016
2016-5-11
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

From the owners manual (4 non-blinking lights = 87.5-100%):
Capture.JPG
2016-5-11
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I wouldn't make it a habit of doing that.  Why not go out and use your battery so you can properly cycle it.  Remember, cooking the battery shortens its life.  Charge it and use it.  Store it at ~50% charge.
2016-5-11
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

If you are above 95% consider it fully charges. Yes, you may not get 20min, may get 19, but does that reallt matter? Remember that the batteries do have a finite number of cycles, so if it's almost full, it may be better to fly it out, and recharge then. You are also aware of the battery setting in DJI GO app, that will put your battery into discharge state if not used for x days? I usually see it set for 4 days, and it's a setting PER BATTERY.... That is to prevent puffing from a battery that has been full ycharged and not used for a while....
GT
2016-5-11
Use props
scschulte
lvl.2
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-5-11 21:30
I wouldn't make it a habit of doing that.  Why not go out and use your battery so you can properly c ...

Great comment!  I agree!  Thanks!!
2016-5-13
Use props
scschulte
lvl.2
United States

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-5-11 21:36
If you are above 95% consider it fully charges. Yes, you may not get 20min, may get 19, but does tha ...

Also a great comment!  I have my batteries set to begin discharging after 5 days-- may reduce that to 4 days.  Really appreciate the comments!  Thanks!
2016-5-13
Use props
scschulte
lvl.2
United States

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-5-11 17:50
From the owners manual (4 non-blinking lights = 87.5-100%):

Super!  Thanks and as a Mac guy since 1989 I tend not to read manuals!  lol-- actually I do and remember seeing this when I first got my P3S about 6 weeks ago-- will have a relook at the manual.  And I think that what others have said about charging and then flying instead of topping-up is probably good advice.  

Really appreciate it!

Steve
Friday 13 May 2016
2016-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules