P4 Handheld shots.
891 8 2016-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
malvern
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Looking to use my P4 for handheld shots when the weather is too windy to fly.
I found this handy gadget to hold the ipad and P4. But it doesn't look very safe.
http://bymac.org/new/home/19-ele ... e_color-random_free

Does anyone else use their P4 for handheld shots, and how do you do it ?

2016-5-11
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have that exact device for my P3, but it is not compatible with the P4. I use an Osmo for ground shots.
2016-5-11
Use props
treeboyy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 604747 ft
United States

Not many reviews but there all good. I found this on Phantom Pilots. Looks interesting. There are other threads on PP as well.
2016-5-11
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I REALLY want an Osmo, I've even thought about selling/trading in my Canon 5D Mk III to get one.  Waiting to see how much the Osmo Pro is before I make my mind up whether to trade it in or not.
2016-5-11
Use props
TK-421
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-11
Use props
malvern
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Cheers.

I have some ideas now.

I'm going DIY.

I'll post back when I'm done.

I just bought a length of foam tubing, I shall use some of it to make a grip bar, like the one treeboyy posted above.

But instead of connecting it to the motors, I shall rig up some kind of harness with 4 hoops to hook over each motor arm, with the foam grip bar on top.

I can use the rest of the foam tubing as cushions on the landing gear, surprised I have not seen anyone do this yet, heres the foam i bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/19186419 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm not going to have my ipad mounted on it, I don't need to see the video feed, so it will be pretty lightweight to manoeuvre, just the weight of the P4 basically.

2016-5-12
Use props
malvern
lvl.4
United Kingdom

What to use for the harness ?

I'm thinking an extra strong fishing line ? That would be really easy to pack in the D1 rucksack, and just pop it on the P4 when you want some low handheld shots.

Or maybe I should try using bungee cords ? Could act as an extra cushion for the gimbal ?

I'm off to the workshop to look what I have around.

2016-5-12
Use props
malvern
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I rigged up a simple harness using just 4 tarp bungee  cords, and an old mini tripod.

Easy to put together thats for sure.

It feels good, not too heavy, I could easily pan it for 20-30 seconds.

You can extend the leg that you hold, which allows you to hold it away from you, for instance over the edge of a stream as you walk along the bank.

The tarp bungees are nice and secure, but I will be wrapping some velcro around the 2 legs of the tripod that are clamping the tarp bungees.

I have some foam tubing on its way, going to put it on the runners, only when I do handheld footage, it will give me a little more ground clearance for the camera, and allows me to put the P4 on the floor to rest or take stills.

Now some footage, which I shall try and get tomorrow afternoon.

Here are the pics......

Extended....

2016-5-12
Use props
manatas2
lvl.2

Lithuania

my question is how do you watch live video on your smartphone without rc?(it shows place for smartphone)

2016-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules