Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Going an Vacation w/ drone concerns
1914 14 2016-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bfd300
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73661 ft
United States

I am leaving for St Croix USVI on vaca, I want to bring the P3A but I am nervous. I have a slight layover in San Juan PR.  I am worried (not so much the TSA) in Newark airport but in PR. I have read up and saw videos about bringing drones on planes, Discharge batts. tape up the terminals, batteries carry on only.

Am I being silly?

Any hints or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thank you
     Otto
2016-5-12
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5555102 ft

discharge your batteries then bring them and your drone as a carry on.  Super easy, nothing to worry about.
2016-5-12
Use props
bfd300
lvl.4
United States

Thank you Sir...........I appreciate it.    I am hoping to get some nice video.......my 20th wedding anniversary and we honeymooned there.  I know I wont use it much but I really want to bring it.

Otto
2016-5-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No-one at the airports will even blink to see a Phantom.
They see these every day.
Go to your airline's website and search for batteries to see what they require.
Don't bother about discharging batteries.  That's just a forum myth.
No-one airline requires you to discharge your batteries and no-one is going to be checking them.
2016-5-12
Use props
bfd300
lvl.4
United States

Thanks Labroides  I did go to the airlines website. they require LI-Po's  of that size to be carry on. Nothing was said about discharging batteries on their website, I got that from the internet and youtube video's.
I am more worried about Puerto rico's TSA .  I just hop they don't give me a hard time.  I bought the DJI hard shell travel case from Best Buy......ugh  that was expensive.  $150.  
Thank you sir for your help.
  Otto
2016-5-12
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Here is one tip for you if you want to carry the battery onto the air plane: 电池上飞机.JPG
2016-5-12
Use props
gioffa
lvl.3
Flight distance : 260381 ft
Italy

Thanks Paladin
2016-5-12
Use props
PJMC-UAV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66575 ft
Canada

Confirm with the airline/TSA how many batteries you can carry with you on the plane. In Canada a maximum of two Lipo UAV batteries can be carried per passenger. Sometimes you'll have to FedEx the batteries ahead of time if you've got more than two. It can be expensive. I travel quite a bit and the drone itself isn't any surprise to the security personnel, but they always scrutinize and check the batteries I carry to ensure voltage, condition and container/bag they are in. Regulations vary around the world though.
2016-5-13
Use props
bfd300
lvl.4
United States

I am bringing 2 batts........ Everything is stored nicely in the DJI hard back pack case.  I hope that's good enough.  everything has a spot.
2016-5-13
Use props
bfd300
lvl.4
U.S. Virgin Islands

Here I am in gorgeous St Croix USVI ,dying to fly the p3 but the winds are to great 25+ mph.  I am hoping Friday when we go to the west side of the island the winds will be less. Good thing there is plenty of beer, rum punch and seafood lol.

Otto
2016-5-18
Use props
Nelsongc1
lvl.2

I will be in San Juan and then on to St John VI and I have the same concerns.  I hope it goes well.
2016-5-18
Use props
Nelsongc1
lvl.2

The airlines say 8grams of lithium and 100 watt max.  5350/1000×15.2= 81 watts but I can't find how many grams of lithium.  It doesn't say they need to be discharged but looks like everything should be fine.
2016-5-18
Use props
afiend69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

PJMC-UAV Posted at 2016-5-14 08:48
Confirm with the airline/TSA how many batteries you can carry with you on the plane. In Canada a max ...

flown with mine a few times in Canada, and out from Canada.  Swabbed once but normally the backpack just goes through scan without issue.  I carry three batteries, one in the bird, always charged.  Meh, I don't have a concern when flying.
2016-5-18
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

I have 3 Phantom batteries and 6 DSLR batteries. All of which are Li-Po.

Is there a limit in the US on the amount of batteries you can take on a carry-on?

Thanks
2016-5-18
Use props
Nelsongc1
lvl.2
Puerto Rico

No problems with traveling.  I'm here in San Juan Puerto Rico from New Mexico and they didn't even blink at it.  Safe travels to all...
2016-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules