D-LOG unusable after v1.8.1.00 update
1101 7 2016-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scotttgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141932 ft
United States

I'm finding hard to believe that no one else is complaining about D-LOG with the new v1.8.1.00 update. It's providing completely unusable footage.
I'm very upset that I had a better performing x5 camera the day I bought it.  And I'm double upset that it took me a day to troubleshoot the issue and find there's no solution.  DJI, are you planning on fixing this? A month is plenty of time to address an issue like this.
2016-5-12
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

That is not completely true - this video is taken with D-Log

2016-5-12
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2016-5-12 17:56

Have you continued to fly in D-LOG with success? I have been flying in NONE with -2,-3,-2 color grading. I might switch back to D-LOG.
2016-5-13
Use props
scotttgold
lvl.2
United States

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2016-5-12 15:56

What firmware were you shooting with? As D-LOG has only been bad for me after the v1.8.1.00 update.
Also, I don't think those shots are challenging for the codec/bitrate. You've got a lot of the same colors going on in large swatches of the screen. I shot a fall scene with a lot of trees and leaves and D-LOG just falls apart while None or Cinelike holds up much better. I'll see if I can post some examples.
2016-5-13
Use props
scotttgold
lvl.2
United States

FYI...lots of people talking about this on the Inspire Pilots forum too. I asked around and it seems others are seeing the problem.
There seems to be an issue with focusing too. http://www.inspirepilots.com/thr ... f-focus-video.9415/
A lot is going on here with these firmware updates and it's making the images worse.
2016-5-13
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

scotttgold Posted at 2016-5-14 02:12
What firmware were you shooting with? As D-LOG has only been bad for me after the v1.8.1.00 update ...

I was shooting with FW 1.8.1.00
I shoot a lot in D-Log and for the most it works fine for me.

Before FW 1.8.1.00 it was very mushy
2016-5-13
Use props
windwardbound
lvl.2

United States

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2016-5-14 05:28
I was shooting with FW 1.8.1.00
I shoot a lot in D-Log and for the most it works fine for me.

That footage looked pretty good to me!  Other than being a tad underexposed, it looked decent.  I avoid D-Log because since 3-4 firmwares ago, it was awful.  Dynamic range, focus, color balance all trash.  I have been using None or, as of recently, D-Cine.  They perform much better for me.  Easier to grade using (0) (-1) (-2) and MUCH better dynamic range.  Also, I use manual white balance and start at 3,800K on a fairly bright sun days, and then perfect in post.  At the lesser of the 4K settings I can zoom at will with plenty of room and the sharpness when converted to 1080p is better.  I make it a point of never using ISO 100, it seems to have it's own set of problems.  I pray for the day when all is corrected, the settings stand-up on their own and I can stop testing everything everytime I perform a firmware upgrade.  Those magical settings for me seems to change too much but, I am getting quicker at diagnosing the subtleties post firmware upgrade.  DJI has certainly kept me on my toes!  Think about how boring things would be if everything just worked!  One thing, I have surely gotten to know my camera well, better than my wife (I mean my ex-wife).
2016-5-13
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

windwardbound Posted at 2016-5-14 00:44
That footage looked pretty good to me!  Other than being a tad underexposed, it looked decent.  I a ...

You are right - every recent FW has had its challenges - and testing has become lot more time-consuming than the actually filming. But then again you are perfectly right - it teaches you your camera and you get a lot of post work training.

I simply love my Inspire and my X5 - still I know its not perfect - nor am I - nor are my videos. For me ( as a hobbyist ) this is the real fun with this hobby - getting better - learning from others and trial and error.
2016-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules