X5R Flickering
2056 12 2016-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lukeneumann
lvl.2
United States

I have noticed this in a few shots at random.  I shoot everything in Manual mode.  Some at 4K/24 and some at UHD/30.  The flickering mostly seems to show up in 4K/24 but I have several shots that were ruined in UHD/30 as well.  It doesn't happen often (maybe 20% of the shots and even then it doesn't last for the whole clip)...the main issue is that I have no clue what's causing it.  Please fix this in a firmware upgrade as it's the one issue standing in the way of this being an amazing camera.  

The flickering ruined some epic shots from Ireland
2016-5-13
Use props
richardhurst
Banned
Flight distance : 2342808 ft
United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-13
Use props
lukeneumann
lvl.2
United States

richardhurst Posted at 2016-5-14 00:18
Do you use camera raw in your editing process as it has been suggested it's Adobe camera raw that is ...

I do and I think I found the solution.  The contrast slider in the main window introduces it.  Changing the contrast via "curves" in the second window is fine.  Also, white balance changes and saturation don't introduce it.  A bit of an annoyance but nothing too major.  Maybe DJI could reach out to Adobe and get this sorted?
2016-5-14
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

You will need to keep an eye onshooting style. You are likely to see flicker at 24fps on a large high res screen.  if you have good visual acuity off axis and the subject material is 1) moving 2) has high contrast, 3) high spatial frequency (fine detail). Nothing to do with the camera / bit rate, its got to do with the visual system. Lots of posters don't understand this and think its a hardware problem (it is, change the brain)
2016-5-14
Use props
lukeneumann
lvl.2
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-5-14 07:29
You will need to keep and eye onshooting style. You are likely to see flicker at 24fps on a large hi ...

Incorrect.  It is a flicker introduced by Adobe Camera Raw when you use the contrast setting in certain situations.  I already clarified in the third comment...
2016-5-14
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

lukeneumann Posted at 2016-5-15 04:12
Incorrect.  It is a flicker introduced by Adobe Camera Raw when you use the contrast setting in cer ...

I don't disagree.
You can modulate flicker by adjusting contrast. There are high contrast scenes that bring it about. You can of course modulate this in post. Flicker does not appear in low contrast situations unless the frame rate is below CFF. You will also more sensitive to flicker if you take a fair amount of alcohol. Try it.

I wrote because this has nothing to do with DJI or Adobe

2016-5-14
Use props
RDTeam43
R&D Team

China

lukeneumann Posted at 2016-5-15 04:12
Incorrect.  It is a flicker introduced by Adobe Camera Raw when you use the contrast setting in cer ...

Three recommendations

1.  use Davinci Resolve, the tone curve is set to Rec.709 by default, though slightly underexposure, but you can do color grading;
2.  use Adobe Camera Raw, and remember to set default when decoding the CinemaDNG. By default ACR automatically calculate a tone curve based on the histogram of the frame, and might cause flickering sometime.
3.  use CineLight
2016-5-15
Use props
lukeneumann
lvl.2
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-5-14 21:18
I don't disagree.
You can modulate flicker by adjusting contrast. There are high contrast scenes t ...

It does have to do with Adobe.  Changing the Contrast slider brings it on but adjusting Contrast via the Curves window does not.  So it's something with a single slider, not the overall contrast of the shot.  I can bring the same amount of contrast into a shot (or remove it) via Curves.  One causes flickering, one does not...same amount of Contrast.
2016-5-15
Use props
lukeneumann
lvl.2
United States

RDTeam43 Posted at 2016-5-15 06:42
Three recommendations

1.  use Davinci Resolve, the tone curve is set to Rec.709 by default, though ...

I have it sorted now.  Adjustments can be made via Curves in ACR, just not the contrast slider (for some odd reason).  Maybe it does have to do with the calculated tone curve and using Curves sets it in stone?  I'm not sure.  Again, it's not on every shot.  Sometimes I can use the Contrast slider with no flickering, other times, if there is flickering, I use Curves instead and the flickering goes away.  So either way, the culprit is the Contrast slider...
Definitely something I think DJI should run by Adobe since a lot of people will be using Adobe and ACR for their workflows.  Not a big deal (for me) to use Curves to get a flat profile for grading but others might just want to use Contrast slider.

I wish I could use CineLight, but I'm on PC
2016-5-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>

RDTeam43 Posted at 2016-5-15 21:42
Three recommendations

1.  use Davinci Resolve, the tone curve is set to Rec.709 by default, though ...

Can DJI work with DaVinci to create a tone curve profile for the X5R? Right now, one can get great results with color boost and adding saturation (without changing exposure).

The other thing I notice with DR is that the ProRes 422 Output always looks a little flatter than what the color edit screen shows. You can put this output next to the DV edit screen and see the difference.
2016-5-15
Use props
lukeneumann
lvl.2
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-5-15 20:30
Can DJI work with DaVinci to create a tone curve profile for the X5R? Right now, one can get great ...

I think they should work with Adobe as well.  Resolve is great but many people (myself included) want to go straight from Premiere and therefore use ACR.  The flickering introduced by the Contrast slider has been there since the Magic Lantern RAW/5D Mark III days.  Again, not a deal breaker but it would be nice to see a dedicated Log profile/preset from DJI that plays well with ACR.  Right now ACR still seems like it's only optimized for RAW stills (which I'm sure is the case but Adobe now has a reason to get it optimized for DNG sequences)
2016-5-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>

lukeneumann Posted at 2016-5-16 11:52
I think they should work with Adobe as well.  Resolve is great but many people (myself included) w ...

OK, now I get you fully. Agree.

I'm sure something nice will be available shortly but its a lot of extra work at the present time.
2016-5-15
Use props
phontaine0
lvl.2
  • >>>

I'm seeing flicker occasionally on the h264 proxies from the micro SD and the raws also, so the issue isn't Adobe, its the X5R camera.
2016-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules