Cinematic San Francisco Downtown and Bay Bridge
4956 55 2016-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dag
lvl.1

United States

Fantastic video, What mode do you usually fly in to get those nice slow sweeps with the camera?
Attitude or sport etc? I just got my drone and want to use it mainly for real estate videos.
Thanks

2016-5-19
Use props
camran.rahmani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510354 ft
  • >>>

Dag Posted at 2016-5-20 08:20
Fantastic video, What mode do you usually fly in to get those nice slow sweeps with the camera?
Atti ...

Thank you. The whole video is shot in GPS mode. non-sport, as Phantom 3 doesn't have sport mode. I have reduced the sensitivity of my RC control and also the gimbal speed to make it easier to get smooth shots.
2016-5-19
Use props
bandityo
lvl.1

United States

Good job! Great cinematics..
2016-5-19
Use props
Jim09
lvl.3
United States

Incredible video... Loved it
2016-5-19
Use props
zeusdog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 220899 ft

camran.rahmani@ Posted at 2016-5-17 02:34
Just to be clear, this is not a no fly zone or national park. This is bay bridge, not golden gate. ...

It's not that simple.

As you know, operation of model aircraft within 5 miles of an airport requires prior notification of the airport operator and the control tower (if there is one).  Although this flight was not within 5 miles of the several conventional airports in the area, it was within 5 miles of 4 heliports identified in Airmap.io.

Federal Aviation Regulations, Sec. 1.1 includes the following:

• "Airport means an area of land or water that is used or intended to be used for the landing and takeoff of aircraft, and includes its buildings and facilities, if any."
  • "Aircraft means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air."

Heliports are obviously used for the landing/takeoff of helicopters, and helicopters are obviously used for flight in the air, thus heliports count as airports.  B4UFLY confirms this.  Sad, but true.

In my opinion, camran.rahmani's flight was safe, as he could have easily seen and avoided any helicopters in the area, and helicopters would be unlikely to fly as close to the Bay Bridge as his P3 did.  

Having said that, compliance with the requirement for notifying airports prior to model aircraft flight would have meant notifying all heliports within 5 miles, which - for practical purposes - is nearly impossible because contact information for many heliports is not generally available.  For example, one heliport in airmap.io's database is on Alcatraz island.  I have sailed on San Francisco Bay for over 30 years and have never seen any helicopter land or takeoff from Alcatraz, but there is no exemption from the notification requirement for infrequently-used heliports.

The requirement to notify ALL airports within 5 miles effectively makes it very difficult to fly our Phantoms in or near any city, because nearly every hospital, law enforcement agency and TV station has a heliport.  In cities such as Los Angeles, many of the tall buildings have heliports on the roof.

In some rural areas, there are many private airports.  Some are used for agricultural aviation, and some are on private land for the exclusive use of a landowner/pilot.  In the latter case, aircraft operation may be very infrequent or may have ceased many years ago.

Camran.rahmani's statement that his flight was not within a no-fly zone or national park is correct, but it was within 5 miles of several heliports.

So...although Tharg's stated reasons for objecting to camran.rahmani's flight were based on the apparently incorrect assumption that the flight took place in a prohibited area, the flight was still a technical violation unless camran.rahmani notified all of the heliports within 5 miles before flying.

I hope there will eventually be a universal on-line notification system that can satisfy the FAA notification requirements.  Airmap is currently working on such a system, but currently only about 75 airports participate.
2016-5-20
Use props
ahmadabedx
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

Ahmad Abed

dji inspire I have gotten blue light after upgrade
image.png
2016-5-23
Use props
martyg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 329505 ft
United States

Great filming!!! Which craft did you use ?
2016-5-24
Use props
camran.rahmani
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks! It's a Phantom 3 Professional.
2016-5-24
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321857 ft
United Kingdom

I was wondering if he is in a NoFlyZone..?

F16

F16

Downtown SF

Downtown SF
2016-5-27
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321857 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry about the duplicate insert! From mobile device!
2016-5-27
Use props
tstanfordjr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1243 ft

Did you take down the video?
2016-5-30
Use props
camran.rahmani
lvl.4
  • >>>

No, see the first post, If the Vimeo link doesn't work, try youtube:

2016-5-30
Use props
Bartone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft

How did you manage to happen onto a day that the wind there was below 60 mph? Great flight, btw.
2016-5-31
Use props
camran.rahmani
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you! It wasn't windy that much, it usually goes up to around 18 mph these days.
2016-5-31
Use props
Ricky Wu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

good work!

how long have u fly a drone?
2016-6-16
Use props
camran.rahmani
lvl.4